You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-23 17:27:13

fazo96

[SOLVED-ish] I can't get my RTL8188CE card to work

I did a research about the Realtek 8188CE wireless chipset that my Toshiba Satellite C660-2UU the school gave me has. I know it already has its flaws because it works generally bad under windows, but on Debian with the drivers from the .deb package in the non-free repo it works at least as well as in windows. Then why all these problem on arch? I'm just curious, I think it's because of the more updated kernel but I'm not sure. By the way I tried with the arch ISO to use it and it connects fine to my WPA2-PSK network using the tools in the live iso, but if I ping a website I get 30% packet loss and the ping is 40-50 but on 1 every 3 packets it jumps to 1000.

Do you think it's possible to do basic web browsing and downloading of small stuff at around 100kb/s with this packet loss and ping? This wi-fi thing really bugs me. I also have a few other sitecom adapters but they all have an unsupported / badly supported chipset. Do I have serious bad luck or wifi is a big issue on arch? I've been using on my tower workstation for a few days and it works perfect. Of course, I don't have wifi on this machine xD

I don't want to install on my laptop just to find out it sucks because the wifi is really impossible to use.

Last edited by fazo96 (2013-09-29 06:47:08)

#2 2013-09-25 20:28:17

Lone_Wolf

Re: [SOLVED-ish] I can't get my RTL8188CE card to work

https://www.linuxquestions.org/question … 175469859/
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2146803#5

Looks like that driver is not supported by the kernel, and the kernel falls back on some generic wireless support.
On debian the devs compiled the driver for you, on arch you need to do it yourself.

The driver is available from the realtek website.
There are several realtek packages in the aur, look at those for an idea how to build it.

From the install iso you can use pacman -U to install your build package and test if it works.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2013-09-25 20:28:42)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2013-09-27 16:21:21

fazo96

Lone_Wolf wrote:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/question … 175469859/
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2146803#5

Looks like that driver is not supported by the kernel, and the kernel falls back on some generic wireless support.
On debian the devs compiled the driver for you, on arch you need to do it yourself.

The driver is available from the realtek website.
There are several realtek packages in the aur, look at those for an idea how to build it.

From the install iso you can use pacman -U to install your build package and test if it works.

Oh so that's why. Thanks a lot smile
I'll try the AUR ones and if it doesn't work I'll compile myself. It will take time though and I don't have much these days. I'll write again if I can get it working.

#4 2013-09-27 16:27:12

ewaller
Administrator

fazio96,

Could I prevail upon you to come up with a better thread title?  I resisted my first inclination to move the thread to "Dustbin"; but I will say the title does little to inspire us to help.   You may wan to read the article linked in my signature.

Thanks.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2013-09-27 16:45:46

fazo96

ewaller wrote:

fazio96,

Could I prevail upon you to come up with a better thread title?  I resisted my first inclination to move the thread to "Dustbin"; but I will say the title does little to inspire us to help.   You may wan to read the article linked in my signature.

Thanks.

I'll change it now. I just realized it sounds rough, but I was mad because I couldn't get it work, it isn't anyone's fault, sorry

EDIT: I got it to work at an usable state! By using the 8192cu driver on the AUR and the suggestions in the comments about disabling power-save, I got it to be usable. It now has up to 8% packet loss, not 30-40% like before, and the ping spikes are now 300-400 ms and less frequent, not 1000-1200ms. It's not working really well but now I can at least surf the web. Thank you all for the patience.

EDIT 2: after testing more I realized it still disconnects every few seconds when I'm far from the AP. However, when connected, I still have very strong signal. If I use it on windows or another distro it doesn't disconnect. I tried compiling the driver from realtek by myself using the istructions in the second post but I don't know how to fix some compile errors, so I decided I'll stick with my usb dongle. Maybe someone will find a better solution.

Last edited by fazo96 (2013-09-30 16:08:10)

Board footer