You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-27 17:17:09

deathmetalscottie

Unable To Run UEFI Install on Lenovo U410

I recently had catastrophic failure of my SSD and HDD in my laptop and had to buy new drives and reinstall arch.  Got the latest install distro and I am trying to boot into EFI mode.  system shows /sys/firmware/efi/efivar as a system directory but running efivar -l shows that it doesn't exist. Once I end up installing it and efibootmgr, I can run the command again but I don't get any output like the first time I installed.  Followed the beginners guide after this and got to the point of installing the boot loader.  This is where I am stuck, whether I try to install gummiboot or run an efibootmgr command to boot directly from efistub,  I get an error that the /boot partiton is not an ESP device.  The boot partition was a 512MB Fat32 partition and mkdir -p /mnt/boot was used and the 512MB boot partition was mounted to that.  I am really confused as to why I am not a. booting into EFI mode or if that is not the case why b. the system is not recognizing.  Any help would be great here.  As an added "bonus" I am currently stuck with just my laptop on Windows 7 so I have no output code to give.  Again any help is appreciated.

Last edited by deathmetalscottie (2013-09-27 17:18:09)

#2 2013-09-27 17:51:57

the.ridikulus.rat

Re: Unable To Run UEFI Install on Lenovo U410

deathmetalscottie wrote:

I recently had catastrophic failure of my SSD and HDD in my laptop and had to buy new drives and reinstall arch.  Got the latest install distro and I am trying to boot into EFI mode.  system shows /sys/firmware/efi/efivar as a system directory but running efivar -l shows that it doesn't exist. Once I end up installing it and efibootmgr, I can run the command again but I don't get any output like the first time I installed.  Followed the beginners guide after this and got to the point of installing the boot loader.  This is where I am stuck, whether I try to install gummiboot or run an efibootmgr command to boot directly from efistub,  I get an error that the /boot partiton is not an ESP device.  The boot partition was a 512MB Fat32 partition and mkdir -p /mnt/boot was used and the 512MB boot partition was mounted to that.  I am really confused as to why I am not a. booting into EFI mode or if that is not the case why b. the system is not recognizing.  Any help would be great here.  As an added "bonus" I am currently stuck with just my laptop on Windows 7 so I have no output code to give.  Again any help is appreciated.

Latest install iso does not yet include the new efibootmgr which supports /sys/firmware/efi/efivars (its efivars at the end, not efivar). You need to switch to sysfs-efivars using https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_Guide/Installation#GRUB_2 then create the boot entry using efibootmgr. Otherwise I recommend downloading latest Archboot iso https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=170238 as that contains the latest kernel and latest efibootmgr and everything should work properly. If manual entry setting via shell is not working for you, you can try re-installing the bootloader using its setup program at /arch/setup.

#3 2013-09-27 18:01:10

deathmetalscottie

how does the .iso differ from the current one that I am using.  As far as I know I am using 2013.09.01-dual.iso...

#4 2013-09-27 18:02:30

the.ridikulus.rat

deathmetalscottie wrote:

how does the .iso differ from the current one that I am using.  As far as I know I am using 2013.09.01-dual.iso...

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … tall_media

#5 2013-09-27 18:10:36

deathmetalscottie

fair point, im going to go ahead try to install from the archboot iso as I again do not have an install even up at this point. Once I make a backup of my windows install I will report back if I have any issues.  Should have another terminal by then and be able to submit output if necessary.  Thanks for the info.

Board footer