You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-26 15:26:59

zmbmartin

Nouveau freezes on boot?

So I have installed Arch on my Macbook Pro 5 3. I have been running it for a few weeks with the proprietary nvidia driver. Today I decided to try the open source nouveau driver. I followed all the proper directions for removing nvidia and installing nouveau. I tried late starte KMS, and early start KMS, but the only ways I can boot with the nouveau driver installed is with nomodeset(or nouveau.modeset=0) which then X won't start, or by using nouveau.noaccel=1 which then the top half of my screen when x starts is all garbled and unusable/unreadable.

video card is:

03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation C79 [GeForce 9400M] (rev b1)

Any thoughts or ideas on what I might have missed or done wrong?

#2 2013-09-28 02:09:58

cfr

Re: Nouveau freezes on boot?

The nouveau project keeps a list on their site of which cards are supported and to what extent. Have you double-checked the degree of support available for your card?

If it should work, you need to start looking for errors in the journal/logs to see where the problem is. (That is, when you boot without those options and it fails.) Removing quiet from your kernel command line may help but journalctl etc. are likely to provide more information. (You need to use root privileges to run journalctl unless you've added yourself to the relevant group to make sure you can see the system logs.)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

Board footer