You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-27 12:21:42

StefanW

[SOLVED] Arch Live USB boot scrambles hard drive order (sda, sdb, ..)

Hello everybody,

I tried to install Arch linux with an encrypted partition following a great German guide on:
http://thomas-leister.de/arch-linux/arc … tallieren/

However, I ran into problems. My laptop has two hdds (sda and sdb) and I want the setup to be:
/boot : sdb5
/ : sdb6

Now, when I boot the current Arch live iso and look at

fdisk -l 

It shows the Arch live iso as sdb, and my second hdd as sdc. When I then install /boot on sdc5 and / on sdc6 it will run into seeking the appropriate drive after booting with grub.

My question: Is there anyway to boot the Arch iso without scrambling my hdd order?

Thanks and cheers!
Stefan

Last edited by StefanW (2013-09-28 08:04:00)

#2 2013-09-27 13:06:27

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED] Arch Live USB boot scrambles hard drive order (sda, sdb, ..)

The drive letters may be rearranged, use UUIDs or labels if you want order.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pe … ice_naming

#3 2013-09-27 15:20:41

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

That seems to be one of the more complete and up-to-date guides I've seen on sites other than our wiki.  But that does skip the locale.conf step; skipping that step is the source of many localization issues posted on these forums.

EDIT: I know this doesn't address the real question - but that was already correctly addressed above: use UUIDs

Last edited by Trilby (2013-09-27 15:21:18)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2013-09-28 08:03:22

StefanW

Thanks for the quick responses!

For future installations I will definitely look into using UUIDs - they make a lot more sense.
However, I actually solved my initial problem quick and dirty by just burning the Arch iso to a darn old-school CD (instead of using a flash drive) and everything worked well.

As for localization, I usually prefer to keep my computers in standard English and en_US.UTF-8 anyway. But you surely got a point! I liked this guide as it's not that confusing as some in the wiki tend to be (yes, I'm knew to Arch linux) wink

Cheers!

#5 2013-09-28 11:43:12

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

UTF-8 is not standard/default.  You'll (eventually) need locale.conf to specify en_US.utf8, or some programs will not use utf8.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer