You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-27 15:29:28

bt

Xine and VLC cannot read channels.conf [SOLVED]

This is a new installation on a 100GB partition on a second disk. I have preserved all my old files. However both xine and vlc do not read the channels.conf file. The file comes up, but the contents do not open.

Since this is common to both vlc and xine the error is probably elsewhere. Am I missing a library?  Is it d-bus?  It appears to be a communication issue between different part of the system.

I've used both programs to 8 years and never had the problem before.

Further investigation of the vlc website shows that the playlist that is now expected does not cover dvb. It assumes that is is a music album or the like.

You can still access dvb on the command line. (There may be a simpler solution, but I haven't found it yet. Here is the command line that has worked for me. I'm in New York so I will use the listing for WCBS received from the scan command:
WCBS-HD:587028615:8VSB:49:52:1
the last digit (1) indicates the program number.

vlc dvb://frequency=587028615 :dvb-adapter=0 :dvb-srate=0 :dvb-modulation=8VSB  --program=1

Last edited by bt (2013-09-28 14:51:33)

#2 2013-09-28 09:21:16

tommykr

Re: Xine and VLC cannot read channels.conf [SOLVED]

bt wrote:

This is a new installation on a 100GB partition on a second disk. I have preserved all my old files. However both xine and vlc do not read the channels.conf file. The file comes up, but the contents do not open.

Since this is common to both vlc and xine the error is probably elsewhere. Am I missing a library?  Is it d-bus?  It appears to be a communication issue between different part of the system.

I've used both programs to 8 years and never had the problem before.

I not use xine. Past update to ver. 2.1, vlc not playing dvb-t channels. I use mplayer now. Try it. Or kaffeine.

#3 2013-09-28 17:35:23

tommykr

Re: Xine and VLC cannot read channels.conf [SOLVED]

bt wrote:

Further investigation of the vlc website shows that the playlist that is now expected does not cover dvb. It assumes that is is a music album or the like.

You can still access dvb on the command line. (There may be a simpler solution, but I haven't found it yet. Here is the command line that has worked for me. I'm in New York so I will use the listing for WCBS received from the scan command:
WCBS-HD:587028615:8VSB:49:52:1
the last digit (1) indicates the program number.

vlc dvb://frequency=587028615 :dvb-adapter=0 :dvb-srate=0 :dvb-modulation=8VSB  --program=1

It works ! I back to vlc smile

Board footer