You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-30 18:34:22

Meister

Some programs won't launch from menu/desktop - XFCE

I've recently installed a few programs for my desktop - mainly Anki, and MDM login manager. They installed fine, and as most programs do - produced a menu app for it. But for some odd reason, no matter if I try to access it by the XFCE menu, or even creating a desktop icon for it; the program will not launch. Nothing happens. On the other hand, if I launch the program through the terminal I have no issues. It's more of an annoyance than it is a huge problem, but if anyone could help me fix this I'd really appreciate it.

As a side note, it's not an issue of logging out and back in as this has been an ongoing problem for about a week of logout's/reboot's/shutdown's, etc. I'm not sure what kind of information you would need to help diaognose this, so if I can provide anything else of use, please let me know.

#2 2013-09-30 23:14:53

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Re: Some programs won't launch from menu/desktop - XFCE

Strange... what are the .desktop files that come with these programs? Maybe they have a slightly different command than the one you are running in the terminal. You can also tell desktop icons to run in a terminal.

6EA3 F3F3 B908 2632 A9CB E931 D53A 0445 B47A 0DAB
Great things come in tar.xz packages.

#3 2013-10-01 01:36:02

Meister

For Anki - Both .desktop and terminal command is the same. When trying to launch it with run in terminal, it complains of an untrusted application launcher. I have the choice to launch anyways, or mark as executable. After marking it as executable, the terminal appears for a brief second, then disappears with nothing else.

MDM Launcher - The .desktop is different - pkexec /usr/bin/mdmsetup - where I just type mdmsetup in terminal. When clicking to run in terminal, a polkit authentication pops up in the terminal with sudo and asks for permission to run, and my password. After I type it in, it disappears and nothing launches. If I go into a terminal and choose the same as the the .desktop, the authentication pops up, I repeate the process but this time I get this error: "(mdmsetup:3766): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:"

#4 2013-10-01 06:37:03

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

This might have to do with environment variables. Try different combinations of "gksu command", "sudo -u user command", "su -c command" etc.

#5 2013-10-01 16:43:18

Meister

Ok, I tried all of the above commands. I was able to get MDM launcher to work properly from a desktop launcher with "gksu mdmsetup". As for Anki, none of the commands helped. It would either prompt for my password and disappear like usual, or just plain disappear like it was. I tried it with running in the terminal, and without that option ticked.

I also have another question, how would I go about changing the properties of the launcher in the actual xfce menu, as I don't need nor want a desktop launcher. I only put these programs on the desktop so I could see the properties and the commands they are trying to use. I'm using the whisker menu for xfce.

#6 2013-10-01 20:01:00

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

The default menu for Xfce is /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu. In here, you can change what .desktop files are referenced. You can also create your own XML file like this and tell the panel plugin to use the custom one instead.

#7 2013-10-02 22:07:17

Meister

Alright, I was able to fix the application .desktop for mdmsetup. Unfortunately, as I noted above Anki will still not launch except through the terminal. Would you have any other suggestions I could try to get it working correctly?

Board footer