You are not logged in.

#226 2013-07-24 00:07:42

milomouse
Website

Re: Interrobang: a tiny menu packing a big bang (syntax)

% mkdir /tmp/buildtest
% cd /tmp/buildtest
% git clone "git://github.com/TrilbyWhite/interrobang.git"
% cd interrobang
% make
percontation.c: In function ‘add’:
percontation.c:16:2: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments [-Wformat-security]
make: latex2man: Command not found
make: *** [interrobang.1] Error 127

I'm using Gentoo but don't see why it would be so different with just "make".  Perhaps my "make" is different?  Hmm!  Anyway, I guess I can still just do "make interrobang percontation" and copy the manpage over for now.

#227 2013-07-24 00:58:50

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Odd - I'll have to look into that.  Make is not supposed to rebuild an existing target if the prerequisites for the target haven't changed (and it doesn't here).  Is the access time on man1.tex later than interrobang.1 after you clone the repo?  Or do you have any configuration of make that rebuilds a target regardless of access times of the dependencies?

If this is a real problem I can certainly just remove that recipe from the makefile and remove the tex source from git.  But if make is working the way it should, this shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-07-24 01:00:21)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#228 2013-07-24 01:35:16

milomouse
Website

No, everything checks out OK and I don't have anything special set.   I'm just confused since all my other packages build just fine, even with existing manpages in their git repo, etc.  It's not a big deal I'm just a little confused is all.  I wonder if anyone else using Gentoo can confirm this since one can assume other distros are trying interrobang.

#229 2013-07-24 02:04:59

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Honestly the only reason for putting the .tex source on git was because I recently discovered latex2man - It's a recent "oh nice" find of mine, but there isn't a lot of documentation nor lots of examples out there.  So I thought an example of it in real use might be handy for someone - but the .tex file need not be distributed.

I'll see if I can get on some other distros and see how this builds.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#230 2013-07-27 07:23:08

F34R

Hi can i use music player control via interrobang (like dmenu-mpd) I'm not prefered music player daemon just use cmus work as well any idea search the track and play it from ?

#231 2013-07-27 07:52:41

mentat
Website

Hello, I use `muss` a mpd mpc frontend:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/muss-git/

In my .interrobangrc

!m       mpc %s
!s       muss %s

I can searchand play all music from my library:

!s <album or song or whatever piece of keyword>

and control mpd:

!m play

#232 2013-07-27 18:41:30

F34R

Uuughh
I recompile from new version from git, copy the config at $HOME/mydir/.interrobangrc edited but doesn't change everything . whats wrong with configuration file ?

#233 2013-07-27 20:54:03

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

What is $HOME/mydir/ ?  Interrobang doesn't look for a config there, regardless of what 'mydir' represents.

If you mean you copied it to /home/mydir/.interrobangrc where mydir is your username, or $HOME/.interrobangrc, then it should work.  If this is the case, and it doesn't work, what have you tried changing in the config file?  What do you change it to?

#234 2013-07-28 06:37:12

F34R

Trilby wrote:

What is $HOME/mydir/ ?  Interrobang doesn't look for a config there, regardless of what 'mydir' represents.

If you mean you copied it to /home/mydir/.interrobangrc where mydir is your username, or $HOME/.interrobangrc, then it should work.  If this is the case, and it doesn't work, what have you tried changing in the config file?  What do you change it to?

yes probably put the right here, i modified font , and colors but doeasn't happend anything.

#235 2013-07-28 18:24:49

F34R

F34R wrote:
Trilby wrote:

yes probably put the right here, i modified font , and colors but doeasn't happend anything.

Thats no mind to how but config file again working as well.

#236 2013-07-30 14:10:25

F34R

mentat wrote:

Hello, I use `muss` a mpd mpc frontend:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/muss-git/

In my .interrobangrc

!m       mpc %s
!s       muss %s

I can searchand play all music from my library:

!s <album or song or whatever piece of keyword>

and control mpd:

!m play

That only work mpd and frontends, via cmus not working (cmus-remote not contain search in library and cannot run daemon only probably in tmux )

#237 2013-08-10 18:44:05

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

F34R wrote:

Hi can i use music player control via interrobang (like dmenu-mpd) I'm not prefered music player daemon just use cmus work as well any idea search the track and play it from ?

Given your most recent post - I might be able to help if you say how cmus can be controlled externally.  Does dmenu-mpd work with cmus?  If so this is definitely doable.  But if cmus won't listen to any external source, then the only option would be to patch cmus's code itself.

EDIT: I just read cmus's man page, and I don't see anything indicating that it allows any external interaction.  But cmus is an interactive tool.  Why use cmus if you want to use another tool for user-interaction?  On my other computer I have a bash function for finding and playing music from my music library - this could be easily turned into an interrobang tool.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-08-10 18:48:24)

#238 2013-08-13 18:28:39

F34R

Trilby wrote:
F34R wrote:

Given your most recent post - I might be able to help if you say how cmus can be controlled externally.  Does dmenu-mpd work with cmus?  If so this is definitely doable.  But if cmus won't listen to any external source, then the only option would be to patch cmus's code itself.

EDIT: I just read cmus's man page, and I don't see anything indicating that it allows any external interaction.  But cmus is an interactive tool.  Why use cmus if you want to use another tool for user-interaction?  On my other computer I have a bash function for finding and playing music from my music library - this could be easily turned into an interrobang tool.

yeah u say right dmenu just work mpc and frontend. i usually use cmus (Not question why , some month ago start use and like it)
remote controller sucks , not created database file , and cannot run daemon (only with tmux), maybe i will use the mpc again in the near future.

#239 2013-08-13 18:33:09

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

F34R wrote:

remote controller sucks ...

I wasn't familiar with this, but I just looked it up in the wiki.  If it works as described in the wiki, then it'd be very easy to incorporate this into interrobang.

Do the cmus-remote commands work?  Does `cmus-remote -u` pause/unpause as it should?

#240 2013-08-13 18:48:14

F34R

Trilby wrote:
F34R wrote:

remote controller sucks ...

I wasn't familiar with this, but I just looked it up in the wiki.  If it works as described in the wiki, then it'd be very easy to incorporate this into interrobang.

Do the cmus-remote commands work?  Does `cmus-remote -u` pause/unpause as it should?

yeah start/pause working , i like finding my tracks via menu (only work at mpc and dmenu)

#241 2013-08-13 19:23:39

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Ah, I hadn't noticed cmus-remote can't do that.

But why not just use something like mplayer if you don't want an interactive interface?

Here are a couple lines I just added to my interrobangrc:

bang song     = song=$(find ~/music -type f -name "*%s.m4a") && mplayer $song

tab song      = str="%s"; for song in $(find ~/music -type f -name "*%s*"); do song=${song##*/}; song=${song##*-}; echo"${str}${song%%.*}"; done

I strip down the song names in the completer as much of my music comes from painobarfly which saves files with names BandName-SongName.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-08-13 21:20:23)

#242 2013-08-21 17:32:15

F34R

@Trilby

I added the cmus search , cmus-remote -C / not play finded only jump in playlist and not show in bar like dmenu.
Also try mpd , working search & play from interrobang.

#243 2013-09-30 23:29:46

kaari

@Trilby: Interrobang seems to ignore ~/.config/interrobang/config

~/.interrobangrc on the other hand, is applied as expected.

#244 2013-09-30 23:37:33

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

kaari wrote:

@Trilby: Interrobang seems to ignore ~/.config/interrobang/config

~/.interrobangrc on the other hand, is applied as expected.

My config at $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/interrobang/config is working fine. And $XDG_CONFIG_HOME (for me) is defined as $HOME/.config

All the best,

-HG

#245 2013-10-01 00:54:31

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

As aluded to by HG, using ~/.config/interrobang/config requires that XDG_CONFIG_HOME is properly set.  But as this is an environment variable, it must be set in the parent process of whatever launches interrobang.

So launching interrobang from a terminal XDG_CONFIG_HOME could be set about anywhere and it is likely to work, but if you are launching interrobang from a key binding, then XDG_CONFIG_HOME has to be set in the environment of the key-binding tool (usually a window manager).

If XDG_CONFIG_HOME is set above the launching of a window manager in xinitrc, that should do it.

Is that variable set for you?  If so, where is it set?

#246 2013-10-01 14:54:28

kaari

Echoing $XDG_CONFIG_HOME confirms that it is not set.
But other programs which also rely on this environment variable (dwb, zathura) are able read from ~/.config without manual intervention.

May I suggest following ranger's approach?:

ranger reads several configuration files which are located in $HOME/.config/ranger or
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/ranger if $XDG_CONFIG_HOME is defined.

Links on dwb's and zathura's use of $XDG_CONFIG_HOME:
- http://portix.bitbucket.org/dwb/#scripting
- http://pwmt.org/projects/zathura/configuration/

#247 2013-10-01 15:08:30

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Done, but not yet tested.

#248 2013-10-01 23:05:01

kaari

@Trilby: Perfect!  It works.

I have three more questions. Could Interrobang:

- interpret .bashrc aliases, or are they completely separate?
- close on other keys than Escape? (L_Alt used by dwm)
- have an "up arrow"-ish history log?

By the way, my Caps Lock key remapped to Escape works well with Interrobang (Iocane ignores it).

#249 2013-10-02 02:23:00

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Kaari, two of those have been discussed previously and can be easily implemented - but there is no reason for them to be hardcoded into the interrobang binary, just set up your bangs and tab completions as desired.

An example of a history usage can be found discussed on page 7 of this thread, with the working solution near the bottom.

Aliases - and how to use them - are discussed in this github issue.

Exiting with other keys would be easy to do, but I'll have to consider it.  Changing the hard-coded bindings to suit indivdual tastes is a losing battle.  I may consider customizable key bindings, but for such a small tool that seems a bit wasteful.  For now you can patch your own local version of interrobang.c around line 293.  Line 293 shows the binding for the Escape key, just add another just like it for your key of choice.

As for the caps lock, that is to be expected as was mentioned in the iocane thread: interrobang has it's own window, so such mappings can be applied.  Without it's own window, I don't think there is a way (edit: "I don't know of a way") for iocane to do this - at least not in any reasonable way.

EDIT: I'd be happy to be shown a way to do this, and if it is elegant and efficient, I will implement it immediately.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-10-02 02:31:54)

#250 2013-10-12 08:28:45

riivo

I've now skimmed through the topic and it seems a very promissing replacement for bashrun. However, I cannot get the tab completion to work -- at all. No suggestions appear when I press the tab button. I'm using zsh and compiz-bzr as a standalone window manager. Any ideas how to debug this? When I type "firefox", it opens, but even "!term htop" won't give any results. In terminal, percontation gives the expected output. Using the latest GIT version from AUR.

Edit:
Never mind. It started to work, when I copied the config file from /usr/share/interrobang/config to ~/.interrobangrc

Edit2:
Something odd still. When I changed the bangchar to ":", tab calc stopped working. Typing in :calc 1+1 results in !calc on the bar. However :htop works fine.

Last edited by riivo (2013-10-12 08:55:15)

Board footer