You are not logged in.

#26 2013-09-27 12:10:12

blackout23

Re: Valve announces SteamOS

The Steampowered repo is an open secret. You only have to look at the PKGBUILD for steam on Arch Linux and see where it pulls the client tar.gz from.

I somehow think that the repo isn't all there is to it. Why would they make a public repo if they develop it inhouse? They could have put it on their local network to be used inside the company. SteamOS will have streaming support which isn't in the client or any of the packages inside this repo. I hope SteamOS is a bit more than Ubuntu which starts Steam fullscreen on a naked X server. There has to be some kind of OS update manager inside the Steam Client if the Big Picture UI is all the user will see.

Last edited by blackout23 (2013-09-27 12:10:27)

#27 2013-09-27 12:28:07

DarkCerberus
Banned

If SteamOS is based on Debian/Ubuntu then I won't be downloading the Operating System. In my view they should have started from scratch and basically make it into an independent OS - If SteamOS is using the ubuntu interface then what is the point of SteamOS, might as well switch to ubuntu since it'll be the same....

Our enemies are your enemies, Nick. Disorder, war. It's just a matter of time before a dirty bomb goes off in Moscow, or an EMP fries Chicago.  ---  Alexander Pierce, Captain America: Winter Soldier
Access Denied! De-cryption failed, override denied all files sealed! --- Triskelion, Shield OS
-----
How to ask questions the smart way

#28 2013-09-27 12:40:02

blackout23

You won't see anything that reminds you of Ubuntu anyway, since it is most likely to boot into Big Picture Mode right away like some XBMC distro.

I'm not good with Debian repos but doesn that: http://repo.steampowered.com/hometest/dists/ mean that it is designed for precise (Ubuntu 12.04) but also stable and testing which should related to Debian Stable and Debian Testing? The Debian related directories are a lot newer than the Ubuntu one.

Last edited by blackout23 (2013-09-27 12:41:26)

#29 2013-10-01 11:36:03

karol
Archivist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_(software)

Steam is a digital distribution, digital rights management, multiplayer and communications platform

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 66#p269566

shining wrote:

DRM is indeed the only thing missing for Linux to be perfect.

;P

#30 2013-12-13 23:32:31

Slithery
Administrator

SteamOS 1.0 (alchemist) has just been released and is available for download.
http://repo.steamstatic.com/download/St … taller.zip

It's based on Debian 7.1 Wheezy and has a desktop available, it's got LightDM, Gnome Shell and Iceweasel on it amongst other things. There's a package list here if anyone's interested.

I'm downloading it now (trying anyway) to give it a go. Time to dig out the joypad and revisit some games smile

Last edited by Slithery (2013-12-13 23:43:34)

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#31 2013-12-14 01:12:29

hrod

will it be possible to run this on top of arch like the chromeos in aur (yes i know performance will be reduced)

#32 2013-12-14 03:13:49

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

hrod wrote:

will it be possible to run this on top of arch like the chromeos in aur (yes i know performance will be reduced)

Good question. It depends on how integrated everything is. If it's little more than a DE (like chromiumos), then sure. If not, then it will take much more doing. I'm downloading it now to see what I can see smile

All the best,

-HG

#33 2013-12-14 10:19:30

haagch

Or just components that are useful.

For example I expect their compositor will be tuned for gaming performance and some people e.g. with hybrid graphics just have to use a compositor.

I compiled it and put it there: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/steamos-compositor/
but it doesn't work, I only get a black screen. And the readme is not useful. Anyone else have better results?

#34 2013-12-14 10:58:43

progandy

HalosGhost wrote:
hrod wrote:

Good question. It depends on how integrated everything is. If it's little more than a DE (like chromiumos), then sure. If not, then it will take much more doing. I'm downloading it now to see what I can see smile

All the best,

-HG

It is at least a compositor, a DE and a patched realtime kernel with aufs3
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamu … 741989999/

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#35 2013-12-15 03:13:49

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

progandy wrote:

It is at least a compositor, a DE and a patched realtime kernel with aufs3
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamu … 741989999/

… Ewwww…

All the best,

-HG

#36 2013-12-15 10:00:42

blackout23

hrod wrote:

It should be possible to get their version of the kernel into the AUR. I think you can also launch steam with --steamos parameter or something like this. If you do that and have steamos-compositor and Valves kernel in place you should pretty much have SteamOS.

Last edited by blackout23 (2013-12-15 10:33:40)

#37 2013-12-15 19:12:28

ampe

haagch wrote:

Or just components that are useful.

For example I expect their compositor will be tuned for gaming performance and some people e.g. with hybrid graphics just have to use a compositor.

I compiled it and put it there: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/steamos-compositor/
but it doesn't work, I only get a black screen. And the readme is not useful. Anyone else have better results?

I know it's only been a day but is there any progress with this? I'm Interested in seeing how this works out.

#38 2013-12-16 09:06:01

haagch

Knowing next to nothing about the inner workings of x compositors I don't see me figuring out what the problem is. If there is anyone who can, feel free to figure it out.

SteamOS uses older versions from some software so maybe it just broke in our newer ones. That would be my guess.

#39 2013-12-19 04:07:00

1Samildanach

haagch wrote:

SteamOS uses older versions from some software so maybe it just broke in our newer ones. That would be my guess.

Yeah. Debian's stability makes it a good choice as a base for something like SteamOS, but it does mean people will have to forwardport pretty much any custom software it uses tongue.

#40 2013-12-20 06:46:47

tomsloan

I've got a question about compositors for those of you who are using the SteamOS compositor on arch or are trying to get it to work or people who just understand configuring them.

As far as I'm aware, I've never installed a compositor on my system until I installed the SteamOS compositor. I've been through a lot of DE's though, but am now using MATE. All I did after the install was go under mate settings and turn on compositing. Since then, I've had a marked improvement in the loading time of everything, games or otherwise, and the framerate stability of those games have improved. I just wanted see if this is because of SteamOS's compositor or just compositing in general.

#41 2013-12-20 19:25:45

F34R

Im disappointed with SteamOS, based on Debian and probably made some modifty in kernel source + add big pictures mode. Is not innovation just like marketing , regular pc component built and use dedicated valve operation.

#42 2013-12-23 14:40:40

SolarBoyMatt

Why would anyone expect it to be a whole lot more than that? At this point, SteamOS is meant to be used on Steam machines, and not necessarily as a general use OS, which isn't to say it can't/won't be developed as such in the future (it's still in beta). What you're describing is exactly what Steam machines are supposed to be, they're just pre-assembled gaming PC's that are more suitable for living room use.

Last edited by SolarBoyMatt (2013-12-23 14:43:08)

#43 2013-12-29 15:45:40

xtraroot

I have the same thoughts as the previous poster.

I don't see why it would be anything but a Valve-made DE that is steam-oriented. Even if you don't currently use Windows for gaming, I don't see why your current Linux distro wouldn't be able to handle games any less than SteamOS. Having it anything more than the Steam Console's OS wouldn't make much sense, unless it somehow manages games better than other Linux distros, which doesn't seem to be the case with all the games that are being made natively Linux-compatible.

Last edited by xtraroot (2013-12-29 15:46:18)

#44 2013-12-29 17:15:17

Steef435
Website

Sadly it is the case I think. Steam for Linux only officially supports Ubuntu, which in my opinion isn't really close to a "native Linux environment" considering all the patches and fiddling they did with it. I expect the same goes for Steam's Debian mutant, of which the beta doesn't(or didn't, I don't really keep up-to-date or care really) officially support AMD graphics cards, which indicates there are some things going on.

As mentioned earlier most of the games for Steam are probably developed on and for long dead stable library versions to conform with Ubuntu LTS.

I think F34R means that Steam is basically publishing Frankenstein Debian and presents it like it's a whole new OS. I'd rather see them trying to make their software run properly across most environments, so people can choose what they want to use for their Steambox and desktop themselves. Running Steam in a tiling WM and on a "normal" tray feels like it's running on a steam engine. It doesn't run very nicely on Xfce either.

But I'm not unhappy of Valve promoting Linux or anything.

Board footer