You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-04 23:50:00

napoleon

USB modem stops after upgrade today

My modem was working a few minutes ago on a fresh base install of arch. I enabled testing, current and extra then i upgraded the system. Now when i try to connect to the net with the command "pppd call speedtch" I see

plugin pppoaatm.so loaded
Kernel doesn't support ppp-generic needed for PPPoATM

Now whats happening and why has ppp_generic beem removed from the kernel. I am back on windows now as my arch system is half setup. please help. I guess for reasons like this i will always keep windows  sad

my modem is a speedtouch adsl 330 silver modem.

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

#2 2006-01-05 04:39:18

elasticdog
Website

Re: USB modem stops after upgrade today

Is it possible that an upgrade to your <code>/etc/rc.conf</code> file caused the module <code>usbserial</code> to not be loaded?  I think it gets disabled by default (by putting an exclamation point in front of it in the modules list) and could possibly be causing issues with a usb modem...I could be completely wrong on that however, it's just a shot in the dark.

#3 2006-01-05 15:06:23

rezza

I had exactly this error for a while, with the same usb modem - you can just modprobe ppp-generic then run pppd again. Add ppp-generic to your /etc/rc.conf to get it to auto-load.

#4 2006-01-05 17:52:50

napoleon

Thanks for the responds. I used the new rc.conf file which was saved as rc.conf.pacnew and its fine now.

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

Board footer