You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-01 17:26:49

Sanjeev K Sharma

[SOLVED] applications affecting pavucontrol?

When I raise the volume in vlc the device and application volumes in pavucontrol rise.  mplayer does not seem to be doing this, mpv is doing it too(just installed it).  I also just realized pavucontrol changes are reflected back to the application(except for mplayer).  Within pavucontrol itself raising an application's volume raises the device volume but lowering application volume leaves device volume alone.

is this the new default?  I don't remember this happening before.  I may have missed changes though because I sometimes just use mplayer for long stretches.

I tried googling for terms (and combinations of) like this:
pavucontrol device application independent

but if there's an answer it's buried pretty deep or lost in the noise of pulseaudio discussion

I have the pulseaudio-alsa plugin that installs its own /etc/asound.conf

Last edited by Sanjeev K Sharma (2013-10-01 18:21:29)

#2 2013-10-01 17:43:18

WonderWoofy

Re: [SOLVED] applications affecting pavucontrol?

Just a complete guess, but maybe mplayer has some kind of internal volume control mechanism?  It would stand to reason that if this were the case, you would be adjusting things only within mplayer, while vlc is interfacing with the sound server directly.  But again, but a guess.  I don't really use vlc typically, and I have moved on from mplayer to (the far superior) mpv.

As a side note, I don't know if this is intentional, but the formatting of your post is incredibly distracting.  Your choice of word wrap seems to make little sense, and the double spacing is also confusing, particularly since a single "sentence" arbitrarily split over multiple lines is double spaced in all but text lines five and six.  If you wish to format your posts in a special way, that is fine, but some consistency would vastly improve readability.

#3 2013-10-01 17:51:26

Sanjeev K Sharma

I'll check out mpv

WonderWoofy wrote:

JAs a side note, I don't know if this is intentional, but the formatting of your post is incredibly distracting.

I try to put new thoughts in new paragraphs.  I can see how it could be distracting.   I'll think about the formatting more going forward.

#4 2013-10-01 18:00:01

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Have you tried disabling flat-volumes?

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#5 2013-10-01 18:14:36

WonderWoofy

Sanjeev K Sharma wrote:

When I raise the volume in vlc, the device and application volumes in pavucontrol rise within pavucontrol itself. Raising an application's volume raises the device volume. I don't remember this happening before, and mplayer does not seem to do this. Is this the new default?

I tried googling  for stuff like "pavucontrol device application independent", but if there's an answer, it's buried pretty deep or lost in the noise of pulseaudio discussion.

I have the pulseaudio-alsa plugin that installs its own /etc/asound.conf

^^^This is your post using the built in word wrapping of FluxBB (the underlying forum software), some slight reordering, and proper punctuation.  I think you're just fighting against a system that already works fine. smile

#6 2013-10-01 18:18:38

Sanjeev K Sharma

R00KIE wrote:

Have you tried disabling flat-volumes?

thanks, that did it; changed the entry below in file /etc/pulse/daemon.conf 

#/etc/pulse/daemon.conf
; flat-volumes = yes
flat-volumes = no 

and then restart pulseaudio

# pulseaudio -k
# (pulseaudio --daemon&)& 

https://www.google.ca/search?q=pulseaud … yQGXsYCADQ

Last edited by Sanjeev K Sharma (2013-10-01 18:20:50)

#7 2013-10-01 18:26:45

Sanjeev K Sharma

bad habits I got after too many years using powerpoint-like applications?

WonderWoofy wrote:
Sanjeev K Sharma wrote:

When I raise the volume in vlc ...

^^^This is your post using the built in word wrapping of FluxBB (the underlying forum software), some slight reordering, and proper punctuation.  I think you're just fighting against a system that already works fine. smile

Board footer