You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-02 12:10:48

nospoons

New install Arch 64 +xfce4 sound/ audio stops working randomly

Hi, i'm running a new install of Arch64 +xfce4 on a novotech laptop with i5 and have a serious problem with the sound.  When playing anything with audio, the sound will just cut out, this effects the sound from all applications, whether google-chrome, chromium browser and playing mp3's with audacious.  I have check both alsamixer in the terminal as well as XFCE's own audio mixer and all appears to be fine, with the volumes turn on and up.  Oddly if i leave a programme with sound running and then reboot you can hear a very short burst of the sound from the programme at the same time as the wee beep sounds.  Audio normally returns after reboot but then cuts out again.

aplay -l reads:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: CX20585 Analog [CX20585 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

speaker-test -c 2   produces sound when everything else does, but is silent, with out producing error messages once the sound goes.

I have installed alsa-util and alsa-plugins along with the advised gstreamer packages (and have removed and reinstalled them).  I have read through the ARCH audio and ALSA wiki as well as google searching and checking these forums but have not found a similar fault.  I am newbie though so could have missed something obvious.

Last edited by nospoons (2013-10-02 16:25:06)

Board footer