You are not logged in.

#26 2006-01-03 22:48:31

Komodo

Re: Monthly Programming Competition: Guidelines and Rules

*Important*

I've altered the Guidelines and Rules slightly, and given additional details about how entries should be submitted. This should be the last major alteration of the rules, so please re-read the Guidelines and Rules carefully. It'll make things a hell of a lot easier if we stick to the system, especially since we've got 12 competitors already, with others saying they'll join soon.

Many thanks wink

Komodo

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#27 2006-01-04 01:57:04

poetofnumbers
Website

Komodo wrote:

Novice :- This category gives a challenge that relative beginners to the coding world can attempt. This would include simple data storage and retrieval and basic GUI implementation.

Komodo wrote:

Web interfaces, GTK clients and CLI implementations are all allowed.

So if a challenge specifically required a GUI, a CLI implementation would be alright?  For example, the challenge could be to build an OpenGL turtle graphics drawing program.  Would a turtle graphics drawing program which used no OpenGL and only command line graphics would be acceptable?

For those creating the challenges, are they prohibited from requesting competitors to use particular libraries/interfaces/languages, including rather esoteric ones?  An example would be to require some challenge for everyone/intermediate and advanced/advanced only to coded entirely in the brainf*ck language.  Should challenge writers try to avoid such requirements?

Could there be an additional category of participants who only judge programs, or a category of people who will only give challenges?  I would be interested in judging but life as a grad student greatly reduces the time I could spend on programming.

Sweet, now I can play with myself.

#28 2006-01-04 08:20:50

Komodo

poetofnumbers wrote:

So if a challenge specifically required a GUI, a CLI implementation would be alright?

No, not unless the challenger expressly states that a CLI interface is appropriate.I merely mention those 3 examples in the rules as possible interfaces.

poetofnumbers wrote:

For those creating the challenges, are they prohibited from requesting competitors to use particular libraries/interfaces/languages, including rather esoteric ones?

Any conditions may be given, including the language the language to use. I'd avoid such a limiting condition though, unless the language is VERY simplistic in syntax (like brainf*ck).

poetofnumbers wrote:

Could there be an additional category of participants who only judge programs, or a category of people who will only give challenges?  I would be interested in judging but life as a grad student greatly reduces the time I could spend on programming.

I'm afraid not, no. It seems fair that only those participating can vote; anyone can try out the code, since it will be posted online, but all the aspects of the competition are available to entrants only.

The same goes for judging - since we have 12 competitiors atm, and it's a monthly programming competition, that means we've already got a year's worth of suggestions. I wouldn't want someone who's not entered the competition to get a choice of challenge while an entrant misses out on choosing; it wouldn't be fair.

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#29 2006-01-04 22:42:37

deficite

Sorry guys, I'm pretty busy right now. I have a bunch of crap to do for my new classes I'm starting this semester (mainly my honors english class) so if someone else could come up with the idea it'd be great. I'll still probably be able to compete, I just don't have time to work on ideas right now.

#30 2006-01-04 22:44:37

Komodo

deficite wrote:

I just don't have time to work on ideas right now.

Any volunteers?

Apologies to everyone that this first month has been so uncoordinated; from next month onwards things should go a lot more smoothly, especially now everyone knows when they have to come up with a challenge etc.

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#31 2006-01-04 23:59:07

syamajala
Website

i'm working on something in os x. its a customized rss screensaver. so far i have a rotating cube that shows an rss feed on 1 side. i don't know how easy it would be to do this in linux, but in os x it involves no programming. ;-p

#32 2006-01-05 00:27:27

Komodo

roll

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#33 2006-01-05 00:32:19

Komodo

Well, unless someone's willing to come up with a decent challenge we're going to have no January competition. I'm saving my idea until next month.

Has no-one got a suggestion to offer? It's only the 5th Jan, we've got plenty of time still to have this month's competition... I know things have been rushed since everyone only just joined, and since the rules have had to be changed a fair bit, but everything's prepped now; someone please suggest something.

I'll even let you keep your normal spot in the queue (so you'll get an extra turn). Just suggest something that (as stated in the rules) will be interesting and fun, and please lay out the competition thread according to the Guidelines & Rules.

Go for it guys.. first one to post gets the free turn at choosing! What an incentive, eh... who needs flash cars and hot chicks wink

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#34 2006-01-05 22:28:36

codemac
Website

Whoa whoa whoa.  Add me up there.

#35 2006-01-05 23:28:47

Komodo

codemac wrote:

Whoa whoa whoa.  Add me up there.

Done smile

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#36 2006-01-06 03:07:31

codemac
Website

I should just start posting my school assignments, and see if anyone  notices :twisted:

#37 2006-01-06 03:38:38

jellywerker

How about a cli rss newsreader app? Or perhaps a cli tic tac toe game? What about a simple interface for basic commands like mv, cp, rm, etc... like a gui with an input area for the file, and for the result, then you check an action, when that action is checked, you'll see it's options, and then check the apropriate ones, then press go or something. Jsut tossing out ideas.

#38 2006-01-06 04:16:37

iBertus

What about a simple utility to reformat filenames (or any string) based upon some sort of formatting string? Not only would this be fun, but also useful.

Also, I might like to participate in a few big_smile

#39 2006-01-06 04:26:24

jellywerker

That would be useful ibertus, especially when renaming lots of .wsz's to .zip's, among other things.

#40 2006-01-06 04:31:33

iBertus

jellywerker wrote:

That would be useful ibertus, especially when renaming lots of .wsz's to .zip's, among other things.

Or lots of MP3s to all lower/upper case filenames. big_smile

I like this because there are many examples and an arse load of ways to accomplish the goal.

#41 2006-01-06 06:05:57

jellywerker

That too.

Edit: It would be useful if a feature toi take the first, second, etc... character and change it was included.

#42 2006-01-06 09:22:36

Komodo

iBertus wrote:

I like this because there are many examples and an arse load of ways to accomplish the goal.

That's fine then; as long as you make a challenge thread in the proper format (as described in the rules) then this can be our January competition, iBertus.

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#43 2006-01-09 01:57:04

Shofs

jellywerker wrote:

How about a cli rss newsreader app? Or perhaps a cli tic tac toe game? What about a simple interface for basic commands like mv, cp, rm, etc... like a gui with an input area for the file, and for the result, then you check an action, when that action is checked, you'll see it's options, and then check the apropriate ones, then press go or something. Jsut tossing out ideas.

HaHa . . . My tic-tac-toe program sucks

I just posted that last night.

#44 2006-01-09 04:45:42

codemac
Website

iBertus wrote:

What about a simple utility to reformat filenames (or any string) based upon some sort of formatting string?

wsz -> zip

zsh -c "autoload zmv; noglob zmv -W *.wsz *.zip"

#45 2006-01-09 12:24:52

smoon
Website

codemac wrote:
iBertus wrote:

What about a simple utility to reformat filenames (or any string) based upon some sort of formatting string?

wsz -> zip

zsh -c "autoload zmv; noglob zmv -W *.wsz *.zip"

rename .wsz .zip *.wsz

should do the trick as well.

#46 2006-01-10 01:10:30

iBertus

lol... sorry guys! i just made the move back to school for the new semester and i'm beat!

if anyone still wants to do that sort of thing, i can make a challange thread.

#47 2006-01-10 03:29:31

Komodo

iBertus wrote:

lol... sorry guys! i just made the move back to school for the new semester and i'm beat!

if anyone still wants to do that sort of thing, i can make a challange thread.

Gaargh, don't ask, just do it!

Seriously, I said that anyone can make this month's thread!

Please make sure you follow the Guidelines & Rules when making the post (it has details for the layout of your main post).

Komodo

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

Board footer