You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-03 17:27:40

Lax Lexis

[SOLVED] How to install boot loader / boot manager on UEFI?

Hello my Arch Linux friends,

I really want to install Arch Linux beside Windows 8.1 on my UEFI-based Ultrabook. But I have no idea and my English language knowledge are poor.

My Samsung Pro 840 SSD uses GPT.

I installed Arch Linux on "/dev/sda4". No additional partition for "/boot", "/root" or others.

/dev/sda1 – EFI
/dev/sda2 – Windows Recovery
/dev/sda3 – Windows Data-/System partition
/dev/sda4 – Arch Linux

At the moment no boot loader / boot manager is installed, because I don't know what to do. Can you help me please?

And another question: Will I lose the Windows 8.1 fast boot option if I installed GRUB or similar?

In advance thanks so much!

Last edited by Lax Lexis (2013-10-09 12:40:41)

#2 2013-10-03 17:34:28

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED] How to install boot loader / boot manager on UEFI?

What is your mother tongue?
You can go to e.g. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … _Interface and see if it's available in you language.

By 'Windows fast boot' do you mean hybrid shutdown i.e. partial hibernate instead of full shutdown?

#3 2013-10-03 18:54:15

srs5694
Website

My pages are in English, but you can try reading them yourself or hope for the best with machine translation:

Also, it's vital that you disable the Windows "fast startup" feature, as described here, among other places. Failure to do so will almost certainly result in filesystem damage. Note that this feature is distinct from the "fast boot" feature found in most EFIs. The EFI feature typically activates various shortcuts in the EFI startup sequence, most or all of which are harmless from a Linux perspective. Sometimes they make it harder to enter the firmware setup utility or use your keyboard, though, which may both be unacceptable on a multi-boot computer. Details vary from one EFI to another, which makes it impossible to make generic comments about it.

#4 2013-10-04 01:16:19

cfr

The relevant section of the Beginners' Guide (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … therboards) is probably the best place to start. See if the guide is available in your language.

I think that if English is really an issue then you should check the availability of wiki pages in a language you understand better. If nothing is available, Arch is going to be difficult. The documentation is one of Arch's strengths and it is really important on a do-it-yourself distribution. Take a look and see what you can find - quite a lot is translated. Or you could try machine translation combined with some knowledge of English. But I think if you really can't make use of the documentation, Arch may not be the best choice for you.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#5 2013-10-07 10:57:35

Lax Lexis

Hello my friends,

thanks for your answers.

I have read a lot of stuff about uefi, uefi boot loaders and uefi boot managers. Most of it I understood, but perhabs not enouth.

I maked two bootable USB-Sticks in Windows 8.1. On the one hand by the tool "Universal USB Installer" and on the other by the tool "Win32disimager". In both, the result is the same.

If I boot Arch Linux from Stick in UEFI, then I get a black screen. In the UEFI CSM Mode (Bios Emulation), Arch Linux boots properly, but another issue occurs.

# modprobe efivars
Module 'efivars' does not exist

But the directory "/sys/firmware/efi" exist.

My ultrabook called "ASUS UX32VD".

#6 2013-10-07 11:36:25

the.ridikulus.rat

Lax Lexis wrote:

Hello my friends,

thanks for your answers.

I have read a lot of stuff about uefi, uefi boot loaders and uefi boot managers. Most of it I understood, but perhabs not enouth.

I maked two bootable USB-Sticks in Windows 8.1. On the one hand by the tool "Universal USB Installer" and on the other by the tool "Win32disimager". In both, the result is the same.

If I boot Arch Linux from Stick in UEFI, then I get a black screen.

Follow https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … In_Windows . If you still get black screen, it may either be a Kernel Mode Setting issue or EFISTUB  ooting issue (in which case you may have to use non-EFISTUB bootloader like GRUB or Syslinux 6.xx).

In the UEFI CSM Mode (Bios Emulation), Arch Linux boots properly, but another issue occurs.

# modprobe efivars

In CSM mode EFI support is not exposed by firmware to the kernel so EFI Variable support will not work at all. See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … k_properly . Also read https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … _in_Kernel .

Last edited by the.ridikulus.rat (2013-10-07 13:53:06)

#7 2013-10-07 12:06:25

brain0
Developer

Lax Lexis wrote:

I installed Arch Linux on "/dev/sda4". No additional partition for "/boot", "/root" or others.

/dev/sda1 – EFI
/dev/sda2 – Windows Recovery
/dev/sda3 – Windows Data-/System partition
/dev/sda4 – Arch Linux

At the moment no boot loader / boot manager is installed, because I don't know what to do. Can you help me please?

Install and use Gummiboot.

#8 2013-10-07 13:32:06

Lax Lexis

I extract all files from the *.iso to the stick and set the sticks label to "ARCH_201310". Then I booted from the stick in UEFI. I get a black screen again. I saw nothing, typed in "poweroff" and the system shut down ... That menas, there is only an issue with the resolution. How can I resolve it?

#9 2013-10-07 13:42:37

the.ridikulus.rat

Lax Lexis wrote:

I extract all files from the *.iso to the stick and set the sticks label to "ARCH_201310". Then I booted from the stick in UEFI. I get a black screen again. I saw nothing, typed in "poweroff" and the system shut down ... That menas, there is only an issue with the resolution. How can I resolve it?

Try https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ke … odesetting

Last edited by the.ridikulus.rat (2013-10-07 14:03:41)

#10 2013-10-07 15:40:22

Lax Lexis

Ok, that works.

Now CSM is disabled and I booted the Arch Linux Live USB in full UEFI, but I get still the same error massage.

# modprobe efivars

edit:

Sorry, I ignored your link https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … k_properly.

Last edited by Lax Lexis (2013-10-07 15:49:31)

#11 2013-10-08 16:28:56

Lax Lexis

I am so desperate. I really love to work with Arch Linux, but I fail to install the UEFI Boot Loader, again and again …

I want to use rEFInd, because they say it would be easy.

I install the refind-efi package by the command "# pacman -S refind-efi". An "install.sh" does not exist in "/usr/share/refind", so I did install rEFInd manually.

I copied all files from “/usr/share/refind” to “$esp/EFI/refind” and renamed it accordingly.

Then I edit the "$esp/EFI/refind/refind_linux.conf" and type in the PARTUUID of my root partition ("/dev/sda5").

At least I typed in the command "# efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p 5 -l /EFI/refind/refind_<arch>.efi -L "rEFInd"".
Now an UEFI entry is available, but does not boot the Linux Kernel …

They say also, that rEFInd would auto-detect kernels in "/boot". Never the less I copied all files from "/boot" to "$esp/EFI/arch" and renamed it accordingly, too.

All to no avail.

What I need is a foolproof step by step TUT.

Last edited by Lax Lexis (2013-10-08 16:30:32)

#12 2013-10-08 17:11:35

srs5694
Website

Lax Lexis wrote:

I install the refind-efi package by the command "# pacman -S refind-efi". An "install.sh" does not exist in "/usr/share/refind", so I did install rEFInd manually.

That's because the Arch packagers have renamed the original rEFInd install.sh file. IIRC, the new name is refind-install, but I'm not 100% positive of that.

I copied all files from “/usr/share/refind” to “$esp/EFI/refind” and renamed it accordingly.

Then I edit the "$esp/EFI/refind/refind_linux.conf" and type in the PARTUUID of my root partition ("/dev/sda5").

The main refind.conf file goes in the same directory as the refind_{arch}.efi binary, but the refind_linux.conf file goes in the same directory as your Linux kernel(s). The kernel(s) should not normally go in the same directory as the rEFInd binary.

At least I typed in the command "# efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p 5 -l /EFI/refind/refind_<arch>.efi -L "rEFInd"".
Now an UEFI entry is available, but does not boot the Linux Kernel …

When you select rEFInd from your EFI's own boot manager (or if rEFInd launches by default), you should see the rEFInd menu. This menu might or might not present any Linux kernel options, and if Linux kernel options appear, they might or might not boot correctly, depending on any of dozens of variables. You haven't been clear enough about what does and does not happen for us to understand the nature of your problem.

They say also, that rEFInd would auto-detect kernels in "/boot". Never the less I copied all files from "/boot" to "$esp/EFI/arch" and renamed it accordingly, too.

rEFInd should detect kernels (files with names of the form "vmlinuz*" or "bzImage*") in /boot if /boot is on a filesystem that the EFI can read. Often, this requires installing an EFI driver for the filesystem in question. You haven't explicitly indicated that you've done this. Also, rEFInd will only  present kernels in its menu if those kernels have EFI stub loader support (which Arch kernels normally do) and if the kernels are for the same architecture as your EFI. Most notably, if you're trying to install a 32-bit version of Arch on a 64-bit computer, rEFInd will not present the kernels in its menu, and in fact you won't be able to boot those kernels with rEFInd or gummiboot; you'll need to use GRUB 2, SYSLINUX, or ELILO. (I'm not even 100% positive that all of them will work, but I'm sure that at least one of them will work.)

What I need is a foolproof step by step TUT.

There's no such thing, I'm afraid. "Foolproof" is a very high bar, especially with respect to EFI; there are just too many system-to-system differences in the EFI world, which collectively necessitate either a certain amount of luck or a lot of knowledge to overcome problems. Although a tutorial could theoretically cover all the possibilities, it would be the size of a rather large book.

#13 2013-10-08 18:52:22

Lax Lexis

srs5694 wrote:

When you select rEFInd from your EFI's own boot manager (or if rEFInd launches by default), you should see the rEFInd menu.

The boot entry of rEFInd in my own UEFI boot manager is called "rEFInd (Drives not present)" and if I select this entry nothing happens and I kicked back to my UEFI.

#14 2013-10-08 20:22:21

NikTh
Website

Is the "secure boot" off in UEFI firmware ?

An example of how you can access the UEFI firmware can be found in this video

Then you should search and disable the "Secure Boot" option*. After that I assume you could load the 64bit arch linux installation media without problems.

*if the button is gray, you probably have to set a master password in UEFI, in order to "light up" the option.

Last edited by NikTh (2013-10-08 20:22:43)

KISS my Arch

#15 2013-10-08 20:44:43

srs5694
Website

Lax Lexis wrote:

The boot entry of rEFInd in my own UEFI boot manager is called "rEFInd (Drives not present)" and if I select this entry nothing happens and I kicked back to my UEFI.

Please show the output of the following commands, both typed as root:

efibootmgr -v
ls -l `find /boot -iname "*.efi"`

#16 2013-10-08 21:36:15

cfr

Lax Lexis wrote:

That is not a PARTUUID.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#17 2013-10-09 04:56:20

Lax Lexis

NikTh wrote:

Is the "secure boot" off in UEFI firmware ?

Yes, of course. Otherwise I can't boot my UEFI Live USB Stick.

cfr wrote:
Lax Lexis wrote:

That is not a PARTUUID.

I did mean the PARTUUID of my

/dev/sda5

, not the string "/dev/sda5". Sorry for this misunderstanding.

srs5694 wrote:
Lax Lexis wrote:

Please show the output of the following commands, both typed as root:

efibootmgr -v
ls -l `find /boot -iname "*.efi"`
# ls -l ´find /boot -iname "*.efi"*`
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1615712 Aug 22 15:39 /boot/efi/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1615712 Aug 22 15:39 /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1612128 Aug 22 15:39 /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgr.efi
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1493344 Aug 22 15:39 /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/memtest.efi
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3849232 Oct  8 01:40 /boot/efi/EFI/arch/vmlinuz-arch.efi
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   47616 Oct  7 13:59 /boot/efi/EFI/refind/drivers_x64/btrfs_x64.efi
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   31456 Oct  7 13:59 /boot/efi/EFI/refind/drivers_x64/ext2_x64.efi
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   31872 Oct  7 13:59 /boot/efi/EFI/refind/drivers_x64/ext4_x64.efi
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   35584 Oct  7 13:59 /boot/efi/EFI/refind/drivers_x64/hfs_x64.efi
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   31520 Oct  7 13:59 /boot/efi/EFI/refind/drivers_x64/iso9660_x64.efi
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   35776 Oct  7 13:59 /boot/efi/EFI/refind/drivers_x64/reiserfs_x64.efi
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  163840 Oct  7 13:59 /boot/efi/EFI/refind/refind_x64.efi
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   40192 Oct  7 13:59 /boot/efi/EFI/refind/tools_x64/gptsync_x64.efi

The output of

# efibootmgr -v

I can't show you, because its to long to write it off and the linking failed.
I mean that

# efibootmgr -v > /media/windows_partition/output

deliver a wrong output. I have only one computer, so I am switching between the operationsystems and a output-linking in a textfile is necessary.

Last edited by Lax Lexis (2013-10-09 04:59:07)

#18 2013-10-09 10:07:38

Lax Lexis

srs5694 wrote:
Lax Lexis wrote:

... the new name is refind-install ...

Oh no ...

I run the command

efibootmgr -b 00XX -B

XX for the (fail)entrys bootnumber.

Then I run the command

refind-install

and all systems go!!

I want to run my head against a wall.

Thank you so much for your patience.

Solved!

#19 2013-10-09 11:14:06

NikTh
Website

Lax Lexis wrote:

Thank you so much for your patience.

Solved!

Please mark it as such.

Arch Wiki wrote:

Finally, when a solution is found, mark your thread as solved by editing the first post and prepending the tag [SOLVED] to the title in the "Subject" field.
Note that you should avoid using [CLOSED], which is instead used by the system to mark a thread which is no longer accessible for new posts.

Arch Wiki

KISS my Arch

Board footer