You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-05 18:20:40

Alethos

[RESOLVED] HP Compaq nc6220 Sluggish Performance

Got this laptop working with the latest kernel. However, it's very slow in the sense of (running Gnome) opening a program (gnome-terminal, firefox...etc) i can see the window being drawn. In gnome-terminal or xterm I can type about 3 characters ahead of the cursor (there's no way I can type that fast  big_smile ). I tested out rhythmbox and the audio stutters. I've looked in the forums and the only thing I've come across is checking to make sure dma is turned on, and it is. Thanks in advance for the assitance.

P.S. I know this laptop can run a full DE because in the interim I put ubuntu on here just to get it working, but after the new kernel came out I had to switch back to arch...Prodigal Son syndrome.

P.S. Anyone else running this machine, I found a good link  here for hardware. The xorg.config doesn't help me much as it's for 7.

#2 2006-01-06 19:12:15

Alethos

Re: [RESOLVED] HP Compaq nc6220 Sluggish Performance

I just checked out gnome's system monitor and with no programs open (other than those running in the background of the default gnome installation, and the system monitor itself) the cpu usage jumps ~every 2 seconds from 30 to 50 to 100. What could be causing the cpu to be running that much??? I'm guessing that's why the system is so sluggish?

#3 2006-01-10 03:06:38

Alethos

Re: [RESOLVED] HP Compaq nc6220 Sluggish Performance

Problem was with X. I was running from the X configured via hwd -xa so I decided to do an xorgconfig. Took care of the choppy audio, and my processor isn't spiking nearly as much now. A couple of other isssues are still present, but at least the laptop's useable now.

Board footer