You are not logged in.

#3451 2013-09-24 02:46:40

Harakou

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hey all, just made the switch from Ubuntu to Arch. Been wanting to go to something more lightweight for a while, and needing to get a dual boot set up for some older games was the perfect excuse. Wasn't sure which distro to pick, and eventually decided I might as well go for the one that starts you with the minimum and has you configure everything. Here's hoping I don't manage to screw myself over with too much bloat.

Also, I think I've learned more about Linux/bash from a weekend of installing Arch than I did from several years of *buntu use, and I'm not even done configuring everything yet. Looking forward to getting everything the way I like it.

Last edited by Harakou (2013-09-24 02:47:02)

#3452 2013-09-24 20:57:02

LeoMirr

Hi every body! I'm glad to write here. I'm not so new to arch and am here for may be some friends. Arch is good yes. Previously i'm were on opensuse and slax ( yes slax, i was using it like main system and use it from flash drive smile And again, Hi -)
ps sory for bad english

#3453 2013-09-24 22:25:17

hajate

Hi all,

Decided to take a look under the 'hood of linux with Arch, after 4 years of "user friendly" linux distros.

I got close to a nervous breakdowm before finishing my first installation! But when I realised that I had learned a lot in the process, lI oaded the distro on the laptop as well ; )

If anyone new asks me how it is like, I think I'll tell them "Not for you, not yet anyway!" just to make them prove me wrong!

Anyway, hope I'm able to give back to the community the same way it gave to me, without caring about "who" I was.

Arch (yeah you too), I owe you one.

Alex.

#3454 2013-09-25 16:00:48

Ixium
Website

Hello Everyone,

I am Brian (33) from the Netherlands. I use linux since 1997. I took off with Slackware, but developed a love-hate relationship with it. I hopped through a lot of distro's
and am now finally settled with debian on server and arch on my desktop. If you want to know anything about me, drop me a pm! wink

Greetz Ixium

Mobo: Asus  P8H77-I :: CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz :: Memory: Corsair 8GB DDR3 :: SSD: 128GB Samsung 830 Series  :: HDD: 1TB Samsung ::  Video: GeForce GTX 650 Ti

#3455 2013-09-27 05:00:17

davuscon
Website

Hi everyone!  I've been using Linux off/on for about 2 years.  The rotation has been, install Linux, get quickly confused, get bored, delete it and move back to Windows.  Now I've taken some proper time (a few months) to get used to CrunchBang and I recently moved to Arch because I wanted the full customization experience.  It's been great!  Install was easy for me and I have most everything shaped and customized to my liking.

So hello!  I'm learning C and Bash right now so that I can hopefully get to understand the inner workings of GNU/Linux a little more and eventually contribute to projects that I use, Arch or no.  For now I'm contributing on the forums as much as I can!

#3456 2013-09-27 13:17:40

drcouzelis
Website

davuscon wrote:

The rotation has been, install Linux, get quickly confused, get bored, delete it and move back to Windows.

Oh my gosh you just described me perfectly! But with different operating systems. I'm always installing FreeBSD, getting confused, and going back to Arch Linux. tongue

FreeBSD version 10 is the one I will finally be able to understand. I know it. I can feel it this time.

Anyway, there's always something new to learn. Keeps me on my toes. smile

Last edited by drcouzelis (2013-09-27 13:18:01)

#3457 2013-09-28 03:17:39

Lua

Hi all! My name is Anthony. I started using Arch about a month ago, after being an Ubuntu/Mint user for several years, because I'd heard some about it and I wanted to try something new. I have to second some of the previous posters about having learned more about Linux in my first weekend using Arch than in years of Ubuntu smile

I like it so far and I'm looking forward to becoming part of this community.

#3458 2013-09-29 14:49:08

gocyclic249

Hello,

I'm dan been using linux on and off for a while, still remember instaling red-hat in 91 ish with my dad. I use mostly debian installs but I love the information from this board and the wiki.

#3459 2013-09-30 02:04:26

Naganox

Hello!

I've used Ubuntu for a little bit here and there, most recently toying with Bodhi Linux. I heard of Arch through trying to install some programs that were giving me issue because I was on the older LTS but saw how easy it was with Arch, with all the latest things with pacman. And so in trying to get another thing working, I ended up giving Arch a try in a virtual box and, well, here I am! I took a rather good liking to it.

I have found the path I've traveled so far in figuring things out to be rather fun, but I ended up a little stumped and so I thought I'd seek a little aid. I look forward to what there is to learn and can only get more enthusiastic from here. big_smile

Last edited by Naganox (2013-09-30 02:05:14)

#3460 2013-10-02 17:54:20

wjbarber82

Hello All!

Common story here... I've been running various distributions based on Debian (mostly Ubuntu and Mint, though I've tried a few others) for a year or so now, sometimes as a primary OS, other times as a secondary one. Though I've recently found myself more interested in the principles of Archlinux so have decided to take the plunge. My primary reason for using Linux is the performance I get in Blender, I'm a 3D artist and its my preferred software but I've never been happy with how it runs on Windows. Sadly my other main hobby is gaming, so a total migration to Linux won't be possible... yet. (Come on Valve, I know you can do it!)

I'm a quick study and I'm hoping this forum will be the informative, friendly sort of place that I've become accustomed to when asking/looking for help in the linux community smile I suspect it will be.

#3461 2013-10-03 03:07:47

Kolt Penny

Hi everyone!

I'm a challenge-driven gamer and I've always looked for something that engages that feeling when you accomplish something really difficult. Whenever I start a game, it's either set on hard difficulty or nothing (unless you have to beat it first in normal to unlock hard).

I ventured into the computer world when I was 7 years old in 1998 with a Windows 98 Lanix computer with a horizontal motherboard. It was really fun because I ran at all times Encarta Encyclopedia and a Larousse Suite in which I could learn about space, history and the human body. After some years, in 2001 at 11 years old I went on to use a Pavillion ze5400 laptop from Hewlett-Packard (which I currently have but it doesn't work) that came with XP and discovered a whole new world; games (mostly strategy games), tweaks, the internet, MSN, emulation, Linux. This was the first machine in my hands to get Ubuntu. Basically endless possibilities. Then, in 2006, at 15 years old a friend convinced me to get an iMac. I was very lucky because I got a late-2006 iMac with a Core2Duo processor and 1GB of RAM at the time it came out making my friend really jealous of it. I didn't really know to much about Apple but quickly after studying it I became a fanboy. Steve Jobs inspired me and along with my father started forging my own philosophy of life. After a lot of school problems and failing this year, at my 22 years old at getting into the most important Philosophy College in my country (there was no vacancy). I turned my old hobbies into a primary goal: Investigation, games and computers. A friend of mine got for me a really weird computer, and when I say weird I mean it. It's a Blue Light Ivia 2011 with an Intel i3 processor and 1GB of RAM netbook. It has a useless battery, destroyed headphones plug-in, one broken display joint and a missing "O" key. It's a very special machine because the company that produced it disappeared and stopped producing spare parts so I needed to take extremely good care of it. It had pre-installed a Windows 7 Starter Edition but I decided to completely ignore it. I've never been away from the Linux world but I've always kept my distance and never fully tried it. I thought this was the perfect time to do it, but which distro? I was already familiar with Ubuntu because my grandma's computer have it, my 14 years old cousin installed it a year ago and I kept it up to date and served as an IT technician for her but as I said in the beginning, I really love challenge so I searched the web for a good challenging distro with a great reward after installing it. I met Arch. It was perfect. I've been following for the past months the FSF and RMS, and I share their philosophy. Maybe Arch is not 100% free software but it is the challenge I was looking for. So I installed it.

I'll be asking a lot of stuff in this community because I know that most people here know this Linux thing well. I think this is a great opportunity to know the computer better and I hope this will help to my career (Software Design Engineering).

Sincerely, Kolt.

Last edited by Kolt Penny (2013-10-03 10:27:52)

#3462 2013-10-03 05:28:42

janga7

hey everybody!!!!

just installed arch and it is amazing (pacman is really awesome especially when it likes candy big_smile)
Now i can stop reinstalling ubuntu every couple of months
but unfortuneately i have to dualboot with windows sad

arch is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3463 2013-10-03 16:57:34

moffman

Finally the distro hopping stops!!

hi guys. arch is the most fulfilling thing i've ever installed. Not new to linux fedora junkie; arch convert!

and yes pacman is uber powerful!

loving it!!

#3464 2013-10-06 12:09:45

vitimiti

New user but not so new reader says hello, too.

#3465 2013-10-06 16:51:02

stecco

I started to use linux  (ubuntu > crunchbang > opensuse > arch linux) almost 2 years ago only to resurrect the only computer I had, not having money to buy a new one. Now I'm using arch from this summer and I think it might be my definitive distro. I'm here only to say "ciao" to all the community!

and...

English is not my first language, so I like if you could be patient with me but also I really appreciate if you correct me whenever I'm wrong. I want to improve!

#3466 2013-10-08 18:49:11

DanielD

Hi everyone !
I'm using Arch for audio recording and editing, as I got bored with Windows and developers policy.
So here I am !

#3467 2013-10-08 19:58:46

drcouzelis
Website

DanielD wrote:

I'm using Arch for audio recording and editing

Neat! What software do you use for recording and editing? Do you use any other audio related software?

Do you use a custom Linux kernel, or does the standard Arch Linux kernel work fine?

Do you use the JACK audio connection kit?

#3468 2013-10-08 20:04:31

Texas

I am back!  I seem to flip between Arch and Debian derivatives (#! and Mint).  Arch has my heart, but breaks it from time to time.:rolleyes:

#3469 2013-10-09 00:39:37

dryezz

Hello,

i'm new to arch but not new to linux. I use linux for more as 5 years on my dell inpiron 1720.
after trying many other distros (suse, debian, fedora, ...) even freebsd. i found an article in my linux magazine article about arch linux.
that made me curious and i read more about it on this site and found out that i wanted to do it the arch way. I use it now for 6 month and it's the best linux distro i ever used. The only things on my laptop are the programs that i installed and no other stuf.
my window manager is Openbox and my desktop : lxde. I love ARCH wink smile big_smile

ARCH LINUX simply the best big_smile

#3470 2013-10-09 22:50:40

nerthan

Hey!!
Im nate tongue
I have been a hack on computers until i got deep into microelectronics along with my musical studies.
i have since left the performance field of music to pursue electronics!
im on my way to a bachelors in engineering! i hope to develop new interactive instruments from opensource micro's like arduino and implement them with  Processing and Pd-extended ports of Max/MSP patches.
Im new to linux at the admin level and really enjoyed getting my OpenBox working with a create custome config i like, also looking to use stripped down arch to run on dedicated A/V hardware for interactive music!

i look forward to snooping around and learning all i can!

(sorry im a lazy typerer on forums)

nate

#3471 2013-10-10 02:47:42

ewaller
Administrator

nerthan wrote:

Hey!!
Im nate tongue
...im on my way to a bachelors in engineering! i hope to develop new interactive instruments from opensource micro's like arduino and implement them with  Processing and Pd-extended ports of Max/MSP patches.

Welcome.  Where are you going to school?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3472 2013-10-10 12:20:58

sir_charles804

Hi All! My name is charlie. I have been a linux user for 4 - 5 years, and I have been using arch for a few months, but just registered on here! I hope to get to know people and maybe get some help and help others. For work I am required to use a mac (Why many startups require this, I don't know!), but it is merely the host for an arch vm. I have just built up my dev environment (vim plugins, golang toolchain, etc.) on this vm and plan to be doing full time dev on it.

Anyways, I hope to run into some of you on here soon! =]

-Charlie

#3473 2013-10-10 23:27:36

nerthan

ewaller wrote:

Welcome.  Where are you going to school?

Thanks!
Im going to DeVry for BEET

#3474 2013-10-12 16:41:34

cj360

Hello! I've been using linux for almost 2 years now on ubuntu and mint, for a escape from windows and to build android. Recently I found manjaro, and that it's kinda insecre to arch with how it slowly follows it. So now I want to actually learn how to install real arch, without touching my windows partition.

#3475 2013-10-14 13:57:21

gouranadi

I came to linux 2 years ago, after trying out all different desktops and distros I got here to Arch linux.
I relay like the simplicity with one can create himself an environment he has chosen and not otherwise.
After many trays finally I found some way to interact with the computer as I like to.
Writing and editing is so much more easier if you know the options and the program you have, and I relay liked to boil it down in only that what I need.
Arch is a great help in this, and I hope it will continue.

Board footer