You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-12 16:49:09

toni

[SOLVED] Arch does not start into gnome desktop

I installed arch from the scratch into a new hard drive due to a disk failure in the old one. After installing it, I booted into gnome3 desktop without problems.
Today I have upgraded it by performing:

#pacman -Syu

and also I have installed some other no important packages mplayer, banshee, etc... also I have seen that my kernel has been upgraded into 3.11.4-1-ARCH fro 3.10.10-1-ARCH.

After rebooting, my arch does not boot, even in fallback mode. It starts cleaning blocks from the partitions, and then after it is done, cursor is blinking and no other messages are printed out. It stays with cursor blinking forever. I have a GUID Partition table and a LVM2 where all paritions are made.

I can log in into console by pressing CTRL+ALT+F2. Once I have prompted I have no network interfaces, only lo (loopback). If I do:

#ip link show
#ip addr list

I only get lo (loopback) interface listed, others like wifi and ethernet cable does not appear.

If I perform below:

#journalctl -xn

I do not see any problematic message, only this one:

Failed to open private bus connection

Any ideas why arch is not booting and get into gnome session (login window)?

UPDATED:

The problem is that once I have performed the full system update with:

#pacman -Syu

My kernel images has been upgraded and successfully generated into 3.11.4-1-ARCH but I have seen that my kernel, after log in to console and performing:

$uname -r

it says kernel version continues being 3.10.10-1-ARCH so at startup images genereated into 3.11.4-1-ARCH do not match so cursor remains blinking forever....

I am trying to update the kernel but now I have no internet connection, no network interfaces are shown.... so how to do this now? chrooting?

Last edited by toni (2013-10-12 18:32:10)

#2 2013-10-12 17:17:49

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Arch does not start into gnome desktop

Check the output of uname -a and of pacman -Qi linux and ensure that the versions match.  If they don't, you are somehow starting using the wrong kernel and it cannot find its modules.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2013-10-12 17:30:15

toni

ewaller wrote:

Check the output of uname -a and of pacman -Qi linux and ensure that the versions match.  If they don't, you are somehow starting using the wrong kernel and it cannot find its modules.

You are right, see my updated post, for some reason image were successfully generated into 3.11.4-1-ARCH but kernel has not been updated and it remains in 3.10.10-1-ARCH.... so they do not match and arch does not boot.... so cursor remains blinking forever....

#4 2013-10-12 17:44:43

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

If you're booting with UEFI (it sounds like you are), you need to copy the initrd images and the kernel image over to your ESP.

All the best,

-HG

#5 2013-10-12 18:31:51

toni

HalosGhost wrote:

If you're booting with UEFI (it sounds like you are), you need to copy the initrd images and the kernel image over to your ESP.

All the best,

-HG

I do not have UEFI. Anyway, I have booted from an arch live cd. Once in console, I have mounted my partitions and performed a chrooting. Then I have installed linux-headers for kernel 3.11.4.-1-ARCH (They were not installed, only linux (base)). Then I have rebooted and now it works!

Board footer