You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-14 17:15:14

cae60

Console size too large

Installed the current Arch version (3.11.4-1 x86_64) onto a MacBook Air 11" running VirtuaBox (version 4.2.18); VBox is emulating an EFI board.

The problem is that the size of the console is too large; the previous Arch installation (2012, BIOS board emulation) occupied only about 1/3 of the screen. With my current installation when the boot process begins, the size of the console is fine, but later is enlarged to its final uncomfortable size.

I've searched the forums, and found info on how to set the framebuffer through grub. It is my understanding (please correct me) that the framebuffer is related to X, not the console. I was unable to test because couln't boot with grub; tried several times, doing several complete reinstallation without success.

gummiboot boots fine, but could not find info how to pass parameters to affect console size. If possible at all.

When to booting starts, the efi shell is available; I tried the command "mode 100 31" instead of the default "80 25". It reduces the size of the console to an acceptable one, but the setting is no retained. Or better said, didn't know how to.

Although I've installed X and LXDE, some times I prefer to work with the console and screen app.

Any help will be appreciated.

(apologies if I've posted to the wrong forum)

Board footer