You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-07 06:31:20

bluesilvercan

Noodle, FTP install didnt work

With Noodle final, I choose FTP as the install method with the base.iso, it went ot the network part and said it couldn't find dhpcd. I rebooted and installed via cd, then pacman'd the rest. This is less a post than a bug report, but I'm not smart enough to figure out how to submit a bug report![/search]

#2 2006-01-07 09:43:55

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Noodle, FTP install didnt work

Actually, it's a post. It's possible a dev will see it here and act on it, but a bug report would be better:

- Click on the bugs icon above.
- Register yourself with Flyspray.
- Click 'Add new task'.
- Fill in the form.
- Submit.

#3 2006-02-07 12:55:46

p1pon

bluesilvercan wrote:

With Noodle final, I choose FTP as the install method with the base.iso, it went ot the network part and said it couldn't find dhpcd. I rebooted and installed via cd, then pacman'd the rest. This is less a post than a bug report, but I'm not smart enough to figure out how to submit a bug report![/search]

The following worked fine for me :
Before launching /arch/setup, I first load the relevant kernel module (e1000.ko in my case) :

# modprobe e1000

Issue :

# lsmod

to check the module is correctly inserted.
Check which is which using ifconfig :

# ifconfig -a

Knowing the MAC address for the NIC, you'll be able to tell whether it is eth0, eth1... you want to configure.
Then I manually configure the network card using DHCP. Browsing the CD directories will show you that dhcpcd lives in /usr/bin :

# /usr/bin/dhcpcd eth1

At this moment I usually frantically check my router LEDs. Seeing them blink is relieving...
Yout might want to check a last time before starting the setup :

# ifconfig eth1

You should see your IP address, gateway, etc properly configured.
Then, go :

# /arch/setup

You now can safely choose FTP installation, car carefully avoid "Configure Network", as it's buggy and you've just done it right.

Oddly, my NIC is known as eth1 by the install CD (another device appears on as eth0, with a MAC address much longer than usual), but I noticed that  after the reboot, it is known as eth0, so my advice would be not to tinker with /etc/rc.conf network parameters before rebooting.

My 2 cents.

#4 2006-02-07 14:18:27

jaboua

p1pon wrote:

Oddly, my NIC is known as eth1 by the install CD (another device appears on as eth0, with a MAC address much longer than usual), but I noticed that  after the reboot, it is known as eth0, ...

Actually that happened to me too, I have two NICs (drivers eepro100 and 8139too iirc), and after boot they switched names...

#5 2006-02-08 02:28:27

elasticdog
Website

Me too...if you search the forums, I recall Judd posting a way to tie and interface to a specific MAC address.  I haven't done it myself, but I know it's possible, which can save a few headaches.

Board footer