You are not logged in.

#26 2013-10-12 14:10:06

Narf

Re: [SOLVED] AWN died

I'm working on this now. The file is in vala actually, so maybe it's an issue with vala. Though vala is part of GNOME so it would be surprising for it not to catch up with glib. I tried the current vala and the branch that awn uses, but this doesn't change anything.  I'm not sure if I should touch the vala file or the c file. I think I'll go with the latter. Anyway, I'll try to find the issue. It must be some deprecated functionality.

#27 2013-10-13 21:50:30

hydrosIII

hi, I'm a user of awn, and after it crashed i figure out which packages to downgrade to make it work again.
The packages are:

glib2 pango gdk-pixbuf2 atk gtk2 librsvg

adittionally you can downgrade:

libnotify

for certain applets.

This is not a solution and i dont have any idea if it will cause other problems, use with care, however my sistem looks stable...

Im using XFCE desktop enviroment.

Cheers

#28 2013-10-13 22:07:18

Narf

Actually, you could downgrade glib2 and rebuild the other packages (add gtk3 to the list) I think.
I'm sorry I don't have a fix yet. I've spent the whole Saturday on this and couldn't find out why one constructor doesn't get ran. I'll keep looking this week in free time, and hopefully find it.

On a note: cairo-dock seems similar to awn, though it's inferior to me (no notification area on the panel, can't force it to be expanded to screen width), but it's close. I'll maybe hack it to work as I want.

#29 2013-10-15 20:47:45

johnride

Hi there, if you want to tell me where to look I could try to help with the bug fixing, I have some free time tomorrow.

I really like AWN and provided me a nice setup, would be quite sad to see this nice little app die like that.

#30 2013-10-17 20:29:32

AndreeeCZ

Well i was surprised to discover that awn is not being developed anymore. I think it a pity, because it really IS the best dock (cairo and docky unusable for the lack of tray applet, others not eye-candy and difficult to config.)

#31 2013-10-18 15:54:56

Narf

johnride: the bug is probably in libdesktop-agnostic. Unfortunately, this library is not developed either. The issue (if there's only one) is that one schema object doesn't get constructed (it does with the older glib, for some reason). I can't find why, but maybe because I'm improperly debugging an MT program. I didn't have time yet this week to continue working on this, but I will this weekend. If you want to give it a go, good luck!
AndreeeCZ: In case of cairo-dock, I would even ignore the lack of proper notification area, but the panel won't stay expanded to full width which is ugly for me. I'll keep using awn once I revive it. I'll also write a panel and compositor (or one single application with both functions) for wayland, to replace my dearly departed compiz and awn.

#32 2013-10-19 08:31:12

gluk47

I'm used to have an awn with only clock on it always visible and semi-transparent and click-transparent, and ctrl-click activated. For all the rest I use kde with its panels. Is it possible somehow to get digital clock where I want them on the screen in similar way without AWN, does anyone have any idea?

#33 2013-10-20 11:30:38

NMigo

any one with a fix? just updated today and lost AWN hmm

#34 2013-10-20 11:58:22

adee

It's not developed anymore so don't wait for a fix.

#35 2013-10-21 04:36:31

johnride

Narf : Thank you for the info I've had time to find that the bug was likely libdesktop-agnostic related but not further. I have a lot of exams coming in the next days so I won't have time to work on that right now. But at the end of the week if nobody fixed it already I will put some time into it.

Adee : that's what is nice about open source software, there will pretty much always be an enthusiast somewhere to go ahead and fix a bug like this one.

Last edited by johnride (2013-10-21 04:38:08)

#36 2013-10-23 00:20:00

hydrosIII

Hi, as i said, downgrading the following packages:

glib2 pango gdk-pixbuf2 atk gtk2

will start awn again, no need downgrading gtk3.

however this measure will render some aplications unusable due to downgrade in glib2. I had this problem with nautilus, for example, so i used caja instead of nautilus from the mate repos. If you use gtk 2 apps everything should work, i think.

Maybe using the mate desktop, just and idea.

#37 2013-10-24 06:46:13

cb474

Narf and johnride, thanks for tying to fix AWN. I will be super grateful if you manage to do it. Cairo is super annoying to me and way too complicated. Docky is okay, but not as good as AWN. I also discovered Plank, which is the platform for Docky; it is sort of okay in it's super simplified way. But they all fall short of AWN. Funny that AWN development has stopped, I thought it was the most popular dock. I especially miss AWN's terminal applet.

Last edited by cb474 (2013-10-24 08:19:00)

#38 2013-10-24 07:51:25

SanskritFritz
Website

xfce4-panel and razor-panel are somewhat usable alternatives.

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#39 2013-10-27 12:39:49

kozec

I'm looking at related bug and enjoying that magnificent feeling of knowing that my desktop can be broken with any update. Looks like something like segfault in supported app can't hinder progress and support can be dropped anytime.

Seriously, Arch, WTF?

---
Anyway, I probably fixed this. As others already noted, bug is in libdesktop-agnostic I created patch which prevents AWN from segfaulting although I'm not entirely sure what are side effects. I would be glad if someone could test it and confirm if it works for others than me. Thanks in advance.

#40 2013-10-27 13:28:49

johnride

That patch works here!

Thanks for your work!

About the drop of support, it is normal that a package that has seen its development stopped two years ago is not fixed, in my opinion. Arch ftw!

Last edited by johnride (2013-10-27 13:30:52)

#41 2013-10-27 14:35:43

mrunion
Website

@kozec: That can happen in ANY distro. Arch doesn't develop, support or maintain AWN. That's not an Arch WTF.

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#42 2013-10-27 16:40:41

kozec

mrunion wrote:

@kozec: That can happen in ANY distro. Arch doesn't develop, support or maintain AWN. That's not an Arch WTF.

AWN was in community repo and I believe packages in repos are supported and maintained. I mean, I would understand dropping some library used by nothing and completly redundant, but breaking app that will most likely be used as only active launcher without word of warning is really not ok, imho. I can imagine better way how to spend sunday morning than hacking my xsession to get little more than desktop background.

On other hand, it was pretty motivating big_smile

#43 2013-10-27 16:49:40

skottish
Forum Fellow

kozec wrote:

I'm looking at related bug and enjoying that magnificent feeling of knowing that my desktop can be broken with any update. Looks like something like segfault in supported app can't hinder progress and support can be dropped anytime.

Seriously, Arch, WTF?

Then Arch isn't for you.

#44 2013-10-27 18:01:03

Roken

skottish wrote:
kozec wrote:

Seriously, Arch, WTF?

Then Arch isn't for you.

I'm not so sure - he didn't just complain - he fixed.

Ryzen 5900X 12 core/24 thread - RTX 3090 FE 24 Gb, Asus Prime B450 Plus, 32Gb Corsair DDR4, Cooler Master N300 chassis, 5 HD (1 NvME PCI, 4SSD) + 1 x optical.
Linux user #545703

#45 2013-10-27 19:32:28

WonderWoofy

@kozek, this was definitely discussed on one of the arch mailing lists.  I believe that the stuff in [community] is discussed in [aur-general], as those packages are provided by Trusted Users.  As already mentioned, it was decided that this was not worth fixing since upstream development has been abandoned.  Part of Arch's philosophy is to provided packages as upstream intended, with as little patching as possible.  So in order to keep providing it, it would have to continually be patches and fixed in order to keep working with the updated libraries.  I don't think that they necessarily wanted to become the upstream of this project, but maybe since you have taken the time to fix it, you might want to start someting like that yourself.  I have to believe that a revived project might stand a chance of being moved back into the official repos.

#46 2013-10-27 20:56:30

SanskritFritz
Website

kozec wrote:

Anyway, I probably fixed this. As others already noted, bug is in libdesktop-agnostic I created patch which prevents AWN from segfaulting although I'm not entirely sure what are side effects. I would be glad if someone could test it and confirm if it works for others than me. Thanks in advance.

With the patched lib AWN does not segfault anymore, but ignores all previous settings and does not start the Dock Preferences dialog. So it kind of works now, but definitely not 100%. Thanks for your effort. I looked into the patch you made, was it that you reimplemented some deleted code from the past?

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#47 2013-10-27 23:23:59

kozec

Well, Skottish is probably right.

SanskritFritz wrote:

I looked into the patch you made, was it that you reimplemented some deleted code from the past?

No, I rewrote part of code that was commented in patch.
But I later realized that there is little sense in fixing something auto-generated and modified vala source instad (updated fix is already in AUR.) I'm not completely sure, but it look's like Schema.get_metadata_option returned something, that was not boolean and Client.create_instance_config casted it without checking.

About that lost configuration, same thing happen on my machine as well, but stuff configured afterwards was saved and kept even when AWN is restarted, so it may be caused by some change in configuration location. Also, I have no problems with Preferences dialog... Can you maybe try to launch it from terminal? It's called awn-settings.

Last edited by kozec (2013-10-27 23:26:29)

#48 2013-10-27 23:31:18

skottish
Forum Fellow

kozec,

I wasn't trying to be rude, but this kind of things happens somewhat frequently. Since Arch is a community driven project with a fairly small staff, even popular, working things can come and go. Someone with your ability and desire to fix things is certainly good to see here though. For what it's worth, I hope that you stay even with Arch's occasional quirks.

#49 2013-10-28 00:25:31

cb474

Thanks kozec!

The patched libdesktop-agnostic from AUR fixed the problem for me. Preferences open fine. I did also lose my settings on the first start, but (as you said) they were subsequently saved after setting them up again. Although it's a little confusing where the settings are being saved now. /home/user/.config/awn does not seem to be what's being used. Just an old folder now from previous AWN install.

I do miss Plank a little bit. I was appreciating it's simplicity. But AWN is too all around functional not to prefer. And given the intended simplicity of Plank it was a little weird that the devs made very clear that they had absolutely no intention of allowing users to disable the bouncy effect when selecting icons in the dock. All those effects annoy me, but it also does not seem to be in the spirit of simplicity. With AWN you can disable everything and make it truly simple. Plank doesn't even have a proper functional in dock trash can, because that would violate the simplicity principle, but it does have mandated bouncy effects! Form over function, to me, is not in the spirit of simplicity.

Anyway, thanks again kozec.

Last edited by cb474 (2013-10-28 00:36:09)

#50 2013-10-28 18:50:15

SanskritFritz
Website

kozec wrote:

Also, I have no problems with Preferences dialog... Can you maybe try to launch it from terminal? It's called awn-settings.

It gives this:

** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (AwnOverlay)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/awn-settings", line 1223, in <module>
    awnmanager = awnManagerMini()
  File "/usr/bin/awn-settings", line 1072, in __init__
    self.createMainMenu()
  File "/usr/bin/awn-settings", line 1137, in createMainMenu
    self.safe_load_icon('gtk-execute', size, gtk.ICON_LOOKUP_USE_BUILTIN),
  File "/usr/share/avant-window-navigator/awn-settings/awnClass.py", line 1061, in safe_load_icon
    icon = self.theme.load_icon('gtk-missing-image', size, flags)
glib.GError: Icon 'gtk-missing-image' not present in theme

Board footer