You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-01 19:57:15

Specter

Suspend Not Working Post 2013-09-17 Move Away From Init

Hello,
    I would first like to say I have been happily using Arch for about a year now and I'm very thankful for the wonderful arch wiki that has answered more questions than I can count. However, I seem to be stuck on this one. Recently, after updating my system I am no longer able to suspend my system reliably. Initially all my Fn keys worked out of the box on my Lenovo laptop, as well suspend upon closing the lid. I would say it works about 10% of the time now. I believe this problem stems from something in my systemd configs although I do not know that to be the case. This became a problem after arch officially moved to systemd around 2013-09-17. Now most times I cannot suspend, hibernate, or power off my machine safely. Normally I am forced to use 'sudo poweroff -f' as it is the only command that works. My function keys for screen brightness etc have become laggy or unresponsive at times as well. As this is a fairly obtrusive issue, any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

#2 2013-10-02 23:32:40

cfr

Re: Suspend Not Working Post 2013-09-17 Move Away From Init

Welcome to Arch's forums.

Specter wrote:

This became a problem after arch officially moved to systemd around 2013-09-17.

Where have you been? Final notice of end of initscripts support is https://www.archlinux.org/news/end-of-i … s-support/.

Work through https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … nitscripts if you have not already done so.

Make sure polkit is installed. Remove yourself from any potentially problematic groups (e.g. power etc.)

Make sure you do not have multiple things trying to handle the suspend, although usually this causes a double-suspend rather than none at all.

What were you using to control this stuff? Do you know what is being used now?

Is your system completely up to date? Have you dealt with all pacnew and pacsave files?

Last edited by cfr (2013-10-02 23:33:00)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#3 2013-10-03 04:37:14

Specter

crf wrote:

Where have you been? Final notice of end of initscripts support is https://www.archlinux.org/news/end-of-i … s-support/.

As mentioned, I am a fairly new user, even more so this install itself is only about 6 months old so this post was before my time. I was referring to https://www.archlinux.org/news/deprecat … ysctlconf/

cfr wrote:

Work through https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … nitscripts if you have not already done so.

I have gone through this with no luck.

cfr wrote:

Make sure polkit is installed. Remove yourself from any potentially problematic groups (e.g. power etc.)

polkit is installed, although I'm rather confused as to how this would cause an issue as I'm not sure I entirely understand it's function.

cfr wrote:

Make sure you do not have multiple things trying to handle the suspend, although usually this causes a double-suspend rather than none at all.

Once again, my newbie status leaves me unsure of how to pursue this one.

crf wrote:

What were you using to control this stuff? Do you know what is being used now?

Thankfully my suspend worked out of the box, as a result I didn't investigate as to how it was working so I don't really know. For the few things that didn't work (volume keys, lock screen) I used xbindkeys.

cfr wrote:

Is your system completely up to date? Have you dealt with all pacnew and pacsave files?

Yes, I have updated my system several times since then to no avail. As to the pacnew and pacsave files, This is new for me, am I correct in saying these are saved config files that were replaced during a previous update that I need to somehow reincorporate? I searched for them but from what I can see none of them seem to be related to my issue.

$ find / -regextype posix-extended -regex ".+\.pac(new|save|orig)" 2> /dev/null
/etc/group.pacnew
/etc/gshadow.pacnew
/etc/colord.conf.pacnew
/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist.pacnew
/etc/ppp/ip-down.d/00-dns.sh.pacnew
/etc/ppp/ip-up.d/00-dns.sh.pacnew
/boot/grub/grub.cfg.pacnew
/boot/grub/grub.cfg.pacsave

Also, I would like to note that at the time of this post suspend is working perfectly fine, however the problem is not solved as its functionality phases in and out. I don't know if its sporadic behavior is helpful in this troubleshoot or not, just throwing it out there.

Update: its not working again, tried to shutdown via terminal and this was the error.

sudo shutdown -h now
[sudo] password for _____: 
Failed to open /dev/initctl: No such device or address
Failed to talk to init daemon.

Last edited by Specter (2013-10-03 04:47:52)

#4 2013-10-03 04:59:01

Scimmia
Fellow

Arch moved to systemd in Oct of last year, what you're talking about with sysctl.conf is completely different.

Please take care of your pacnew files, they are a critical part of maintaining an Arch system. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … save_Files Notice that pacnew files are not backups, they are the new files you need to merge manually.

What happens when you simply do "systemctl suspend"? No sudo or anything.

Last edited by Scimmia (2013-10-03 05:00:43)

#5 2013-10-04 01:11:47

Specter

Today everything is working fine, I ran this command and the system suspended without an hitch. I will have to wait until it acts up again and run it and see what error I get.

I am beginning to think the button binding itself is not the issue rather the command it is calling. When it acts up I cant suspend, reboot, shutdown etc. The only thing that works is "sudo poweroff -h". I will try to get more output next time this is an issue in the next day or so.

#6 2013-10-05 01:20:10

Specter

Managed to capture the output this time, it hung for about 30 seconds then output this error. I hope this helps.

systemctl suspend
Error getting authority: Error initializing authority: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.TimedOut: 
Activation of org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1 timed out (g-dbus-error-quark, 20)
Failed to issue method call: Operation already in progress

Last edited by Specter (2013-10-05 01:21:05)

#7 2013-10-05 02:29:20

cfr

See http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-97 … art-0.html - possibly related? Scroll down for a link to the bug report.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#8 2013-10-18 20:05:27

Baryon

I'm getting the same issue after updating the system today. Could be the linux-3.11 update as suggested in the Gentoo forum.

$ systemctl poweroff
Failed to issue method call: Operation already in progress
Failed to issue method call: Activation of org.freedesktop.systemd1 timed out

Fairly sure this is related to this kernel bug.

Last edited by Baryon (2013-10-21 11:23:23)

Board footer