You are not logged in.

#101 2013-10-18 02:10:04

wildshu

Re: infinality-bundle-fonts: a free multilingual font collection for Arch

bohoomil wrote:

@wildshu, there's one thing you can try doing: rebuild Firefox with 'ac_add_options --enable-system-cairo' uncommented in mozconfig. Maybe it helps (a bit, a lot).

I'd rather avoid that wink seems like overkill, because...
The problem is just with Luxi, rest is mostly fine, Noto, Open, I'm comparing to them, what bothers me about Luxi is that stem thickness of big bold is really off, it's visible in your snippet, sides of the N, endings of the G (top is messed up) , middle of the H, bowl of the P, arm of the K etc. It supposed to be sans serif font.
I've seen somewhere recently that FF is using system cairo even without this set, I'll check with Grip later anyway, to be sure.

Just noticed while writing this post that I (big i) of DejaVu is shorter than l (L), and that dot of the i is above F...

Why is this stuff bothering  me so much?!! It really messes up my zen and rustles my jimmies.

I'll just learn how to replace Luxi globally with somehing else, and check how much changing hinting influences everything.

Sorry for bothering you and thank you for your time and work smile

Last edited by wildshu (2013-10-18 02:19:25)

#102 2013-10-18 07:58:15

jakobcreutzfeldt

Just made the switch last night and everything is looking real purty. Thanks as always!

#103 2013-10-20 14:52:19

WonderWoofy

So I was looking over my installed packages non-repo packages, and I noticed that t1-dejavu-ibx was included there.  So I did an -Sg on the infinality-bundle-fonts{,-extra} and I noticed that in the main infinality-bundle-fonts group you have ttf-dejavu-ibx, while in the fininality-bundle-fonts-extra you have t1-dejavu-ib.  These packages conflict with each other, so I went with the t1-dejavu-ib (since ib would seem to indicate that it is supposed to be part of the main group).

So it this just a mistake?  If so, should these packages change repos, groups, or names?  And just out of pure curiosity, does the great bohoomil use the t1-dejavu or the ttf-dejavu?

Also, I don't think I have thanked you in a while, so thanks again!  When I started asking you for font rendering help a while back, I was amazed at how much better my fonts were able to look.  I thought that I had achieved the best I would ever care to make them, but since then, I have happily continued to offer myself as a guinnea pig for your font configurations and have seen my fonts get better and better and better.  Awesome!

Now the only fonts I have on my machine that aren't from your repo are Stlarch (for the statusbar icons), Terminus (again statusbar), and xorg-fonts-type1 (since you said that should be installed a few posts up).  My configurations might have been amazing before, but my collection of fonts was a f*cking wreck.  This has simplified my setup immensely. ¡Fantástico!

Last edited by WonderWoofy (2013-10-20 14:53:39)

#104 2013-10-20 16:04:42

cfr

Hmm... I have

acroread-fonts-systemwide 10-2
artwiz-fonts 1.3-7
font-bitstream-speedo 1.0.2-1
gsfonts 1.0.7pre44-3
monaco-linux-font 1-3
terminus-font 4.38-2
terminus-font-ttf 4.38-1
ttf-bitstream-vera 1.10-9
ttf-cheapskate 2.0-8
ttf-droid 20121017-2
ttf-freefont 20120503-2
ttf-georgewilliams 1.0-1
ttf-junicode 0.7.8-1
ttf-mac-fonts 1-7
ttf-monoone-git 1.0-1
ttf-mph-2b-damase 001.000.4.dfsg.2-4
ttf-win7-fonts 7.1-3
ttf-win7-fonts-cfr 7.1-1
xorg-fonts-misc 1.0.1-2
xorg-fonts-type1 7.4-2

At least, I searched for packages with 'ttf', 't1' or 'font' in the name which did not include the string 'ib' and then deleted utilities from the list. I somehow doubt I need all of these, though.

I also have fonts under /usr/local but I don't think fontconfig knows about these as the index files seem to be too old. (I think I added paths there at one point and then thought better of it possibly on the basis of bohoomil's advice though I am a bit hazy about the details now.) TeX knows about these which is why they're there.

Last edited by cfr (2013-10-20 16:05:50)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#105 2013-10-20 19:28:06

bohoomil
Website

WonderWoofy wrote:

So it this just a mistake?  If so, should these packages change repos, groups, or names?  And just out of pure curiosity, does the great bohoomil use the t1-dejavu or the ttf-dejavu?

tongue

That was a mistake of course: packages were renamed correctly, but the groups weren't. Now everything should be fine. I've been using t1-dejavu for a long time now, but having read about wildshu's issues I decided to make it a default version for others as well. Some of you may not notice the difference immediately, but a handful of diacritics render correctly now and the configuration can be kept simpler for DejaVu.

'Thank yous' should actually go to all the people in the community who have patiently participated in development of this idiosyncratic project. I will soon have to mention hokasch again, but this is yet another person who has recently helped a lot (I'm currently testing a mirror of the repos he kindly created). A bit earlier elpasi helped a great deal when he found a bug in the repo structure: everything has been working much smoother since it was fixed. And there are still plenty of others who has either dropped me a note, or left their feedback in one of the threads. Anyway, the idea itself has appeared to be not that bad, but this is the extraordinary contribution of others that has made it both useful and usable. A fantastic experience, indeed. Thanks, guys. smile

@cfr, one package in your collection seems really redundant: ttf-bitstream-vera is technicaly {ttf,t1} DejaVu from which the latter originated (check Wikipedia for details). Others shouldn't interfere with the bundle collection, as long as there are no confclicting duplicates (e.g., both TTF and OTF/T1 versions available at the same time). You can easily check if this is the case:

fc-list | grep "<font name>"

should reveal possible problems.

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#106 2013-10-20 21:44:42

cfr

Thanks. Uninstalling bitstream-vera now. I forgot that e.g. ttf-linux-libertine would not show up in my list because it contains 'ib'. I guess I need a better grep string!

EDIT: also ttf-liberation. Hopefully that's it!

So this is probably more accurate:

acroread-fonts-systemwide 10-2
artwiz-fonts 1.3-7
font-bitstream-speedo 1.0.2-1
gsfonts 1.0.7pre44-3
monaco-linux-font 1-3
terminus-font 4.38-2
terminus-font-ttf 4.38-1
ttf-cheapskate 2.0-8
ttf-droid 20121017-2
ttf-freefont 20120503-2
ttf-georgewilliams 1.0-1
ttf-junicode 0.7.8-1
ttf-liberation 2.00.1-3
ttf-linux-libertine 5.3.0-2
ttf-mac-fonts 1-7
ttf-monoone-git 1.0-1
ttf-mph-2b-damase 001.000.4.dfsg.2-4
ttf-win7-fonts 7.1-3
ttf-win7-fonts-cfr 7.1-1
xorg-fonts-misc 1.0.1-2
xorg-fonts-type1 7.4-2

Last edited by cfr (2013-10-20 21:52:56)

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#107 2013-10-21 11:32:53

rsoul

Sorry to ask. After upgrading infinality (earlier versions worked great) my webfonts just aren't right (this is in Chrome and FF). Can't provide a screenshot but some of the fonts seem a bit thinner. I've tried removing packages, downgrading etc and can't get it back to the way it was. Any tips? The rest of the fonts (UI) seem great.

Of course I also tried fc-presets set (and selected ms).

Last edited by rsoul (2013-10-21 19:11:45)

On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], ‘Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?’ I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

#108 2013-10-23 16:58:42

wildshu

rsoul wrote:

Sorry to ask. After upgrading infinality (earlier versions worked great) my webfonts just aren't right (this is in Chrome and FF). Can't provide a screenshot but some of the fonts seem a bit thinner. I've tried removing packages, downgrading etc and can't get it back to the way it was. Any tips? The rest of the fonts (UI) seem great.

Of course I also tried fc-presets set (and selected ms).

Also noticed issue with @font-face (solved it by disabling them...).

One other thing... are such Js considered normal?

z1q6r3Z.png

( using heftig's-aurora which uses system cairo )

#109 2013-10-23 21:31:15

bohoomil
Website

wildshu wrote:

are such Js considered normal?

Absolutely: see the specimens. And just for the record: compare the former with Lucida Sans.

#110 2013-10-23 22:17:10

wildshu

bohoomil wrote:
wildshu wrote:

are such Js considered normal?

Absolutely: see the specimens. And just for the record: compare the former with Lucida Sans.

Ohh, so it's just my own taste in fonts... Ok.
I hate them, both Luxi and Lucida, will replace. wink

I've been using this system with several monitors and noticed that on some, fonts were fluffier, more macish.  It turned out that my main had sharpening set to max, correcting it, made things better.
Still, I need to correct gamma (?) or whatever is responsible for color fringing around the fonts, I need it to be almost grayscale...

Cheers!

#111 2013-10-23 22:34:26

mixer

@bohoomil, I have gotten this message for a while now when using pacman -Syu:

warning: t1-opensans-ib: local (1.10-2) is newer than infinality-bundle-fonts (1.2-4)

I don't know why it's out of step with the bundle but can you comment if I should keep it or remove/reinstall?

Thanks for your efforts.  The whole Arch/Linux experience is so much better with beautiful fonts.

#112 2013-10-23 22:39:36

bohoomil
Website

Try experimenting with this:

# Range:  Integers 0 through 100
#   0 represents no filtering
#   50 represents halfway between subpixel and grayscale
#   100 represents completely grayscale

export INFINALITY_FT_GRAYSCALE_FILTER_STRENGTH="0"

#113 2013-10-23 22:54:25

bohoomil
Website

mixer wrote:

warning: t1-opensans-ib: local (1.10-2) is newer than infinality-bundle-fonts (1.2-4)

I guess you have the previous release of the package. All Type 1 fonts were upgraded because I forgot to include *.afm files. Simply install the package that is currently in the repository (the version number is correct now: yet another fix wink ).

#114 2013-10-24 09:11:53

wildshu

bohoomil wrote:

Try experimenting with this:

# Range:  Integers 0 through 100
#   0 represents no filtering
#   50 represents halfway between subpixel and grayscale
#   100 represents completely grayscale

export INFINALITY_FT_GRAYSCALE_FILTER_STRENGTH="0"

Thank you!

I can't stand  fonts on my win box now...

Great job.

#115 2013-10-26 00:34:27

bohoomil
Website

I am soon going to mess a bit since a rather big update to the font collection is on its way. (I believe I will push it together with the Wiki stuff, probably around Wednesday next week.) Right now, I have got something for all typomaniacs out there who need to (or just like to) use typography related tools: please, check the FontPro service. Registration is free at the moment, so you win a full access to the site without time limits (as far as I can tell). I hope you like it and find it handy.

The other, much simpler but still useful is The Web Font Combinator, not as complex as Typetester, but its purpose is a bit different and it does the job well.

Enjoy and cheerio.

#116 2013-10-26 01:01:59

cfr

Thanks very much for those links and, again, for all your work on infinality.

I just wondered if you were aware of https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=156748 (and that it is currently active) and, if so, what the status of the memory leak stuff was?

#117 2013-10-26 01:12:07

bohoomil
Website

cfr wrote:

I just wondered if you were aware of https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=156748 (and that it is currently active) and, if so, what the status of the memory leak stuff was?

Not aware. I am using urxvt[d] constantly and I haven't experienced any crashes whatsoever. Frankly, I have had no idea about any issues with rxvt-unicode… I am going to study the thread anyway. Thank you for mentioning that.

#118 2013-10-26 01:19:55

cfr

It isn't something I use myself but I just came across that and suspected that people posting there might not really be directing the comments in a useful direction. Since I use KDE, I use Konsole. I guess if I ever get around to switching, I'll think again. (But genuine transparency in terminal emulators seems relatively rare - people seem to think it a merely cosmetic detail whereas on a small screen, I consider it essential functionality!)

#119 2013-10-26 22:16:18

wildshu

I'm encountering more fonts with passing days, and just wanted to point out that Alller font (deviantart for example) with default settings, have some serious issues, URW Bookman (mozilla addons) isn't looking great either. Is that just me?

#120 2013-10-27 03:06:59

bohoomil
Website

Both look fine to me. You can always replace any single typeface you wish, though. Right now there are three options for Georgia: URW Bookman L (default), Libre Baskerville and TeXGyreBonum. If none of them is good enough for you, add another one. Closest to Trebuchet MS seems to be Aller, but you can also swap it for anything you find better. Try experimenting with freetype2 settings if for some reason they don't go well with your monitor. At the very moment I am not planning any major tweaking and the currently default configuration won't change.

#121 2013-10-27 07:00:03

donniezazen
Website

Thanks for working on this wonderful package.

1. Emacs' fonts seems to be messed up.
2. Do you feel like bold fonts might be too bold.
3. I am wondering why KDE sometimes shows unknown in front of font name.
4. Liberation Mono seems not to be rendered correctly.

I am using KDE with All fonts Noto Sans Regular 10pts. I have RGB with Slight hinting style enabled. My recent favorite have been Lucide Grande and MonoOne (both suggested on the other thread).

Chrome on the other hand look pretty awesome with the suggested fonts.
Standard-  Heuristica
Serif - Heuristica
Sans-Serif - Noto Sans
Monospace - Liberation Mono

Full Hint style is suggested but I have always like Slight. Slight gives fonts much better smoothness.

This has been really great I am not using proprietary fonts at all. Thanks.

EDIT1:- I have installed all your infinality packages expect extra fonts.
EDIT2:- Changed Chrome Standard font to Heuristica. And added Liberation Mono bit.

Last edited by donniezazen (2013-10-27 09:46:19)

#122 2013-10-27 09:43:53

bohoomil
Website

1. See this and scroll down.

2. I don't think so: check the reference for comparison.

3. Noto Sans is actually 79 files, Noto Serif is 12 (each set of script specific glyphs is distributed in a separate file). In order to make them appear as single typefaces, they were grouped appropriately (see /etc/fonts/conf.d/65-ttf-noto-sans.conf for example). KDE font selection indicates 'unknown' foundry because even though they share the same names and types, they were released by different entities (compare Noto Sans Lao UI and Noto Sans UI for instance). This is strictly a cosmetic glitch and a Qt trademark (as far as I can tell, Gtk+ doesn't have similar problems).

4. Thanks. smile

#123 2013-10-27 13:36:31

wildshu

bohoomil wrote:

Both look fine to me. You can always replace any single typeface you wish, though. Right now there are three options for Georgia: URW Bookman L (default), Libre Baskerville and TeXGyreBonum. If none of them is good enough for you, add another one. Closest to Trebuchet MS seems to be Aller, but you can also swap it for anything you find better. Try experimenting with freetype2 settings if for some reason they don't go well with your monitor. At the very moment I am not planning any major tweaking and the currently default configuration won't change.

My issues are predominately with bold variations of some fonts, I'm using  hintfull per suggestion but it was a mistake I'm pretty certain. 
I'll have some free  time starting tomorrow for experimentation and playing around with settings, the problem is that it's pretty good overall, and I'm not sure if it's rendering issue or certain fonts (probably both?).

#124 2013-10-27 18:15:36

bohoomil
Website

wildshu wrote:

bold variations of some fonts

So try changing rendering instructions for fonts in question, e.g.:

<match target="font">
    <test name="family">
      <string>FONT NAME</string>
    </test>
    <test name="weight" compare="more_eq">
      <const>bold</const>
    </test>
    <edit name="hintstyle" mode="assign">
      <const>hintslight</const>
    </edit>
    <edit name="autohint" mode="assign">
      <bool>false</bool>
    </edit>
  </match>

#125 2013-10-30 22:08:08

Unia
Website

Hey Bohoomil,

First of all I want to thank you for providing such an easy way to not only a good font configuration, but also easy access to nice fonts - thank you!

I'm wanting to slim down on the fonts I have installed through your repository. Currently I think I have them all installed as it was the easiest way when this bundle was released, but now I want to slim it down a bit. I'm not sure which of the fonts in there are absolutely needed, e.g. which fonts the infinality-ultimate configuration uses as default. I'm using the package as is provided by you, no changes of my own. Can you tell me which of the fonts in the bundle I need to keep if I want everything to stay as it is now?

Thanks in advance!

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

Board footer