You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-22 17:57:44

bnolsen

systemd 208-1 not starting services

Just rebooted my server to try to clean up a few things (dual ivy bridge xeon).

It booted to a prompt, however only the dhcp ran.  Services like sshd, nfs, etc none of it started.

When I tried to start them via systemd (ie: systemctl start sshd) it just hangs, although I can control-c out of it.

I can get these commands started by manually invoking them in daemon mode.

I have this version installed core/systemd 208-1

#2 2013-10-22 18:03:54

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: systemd 208-1 not starting services

systemctl status <name>

#3 2013-10-23 14:43:07

bnolsen

mostly came up "failed" or inactive.  I was wondering what was causing systemctl to just hang.  I messed around some with the dhcp stuff, I'm not sure if that fixed things though.  I'm not impressed with all the extra complexity on systemd, makes it a bitch to troubleshoot compared to the old simple shell script days.

#4 2013-10-23 17:18:07

Leonid.I

bnolsen wrote:

mostly came up "failed" or inactive.  I was wondering what was causing systemctl to just hang.  I messed around some with the dhcp stuff, I'm not sure if that fixed things though.  I'm not impressed with all the extra complexity on systemd, makes it a bitch to troubleshoot compared to the old simple shell script days.

Yes, systemd sometimes is too smart for its own good... and somehow I'm not looking forward to rhel 7.

Do I correctly understand that rebooting the system "fixes" the issue? When this problem happens again, look at the mounted filesystems, and check that /run and cgroups FS are mounted. At least for me, once in a while systemd fails to mount /run as tmpfs and since / is read-only, all kind of bad (tm) stuff happens smile

Arch Linux is more than just GNU/Linux -- it's an adventure
pkill -9 systemd

Board footer