You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-02 20:40:47

Daren

KDE battery applet [Solved]

Hi

Just giving arch a try after using Ubuntu and am finding the kde battery/power applet to give inconsistent (and very strange) readings.

Under Ubuntu - using Gnome if it makes a difference - the power applet worked perfectly: if it was in the mains, it said; if it was charging, it showed it being charged and let me know when it was at 100%

Under KDE, I´m finding the applet constantly changing - almost cycling - through various states whether its on battery or the mains.  One second it shows the correct state (plugged in and charging) then I´ll be doing something and it will suddenly tell me I´m on battery and there is no charge, then change to being on battery fully charged.

Is this a known issue, or is there something slightly wrong.

FWIW I had to build my own kernel to use the rt2500 driver, but pretty much the only thing changed is the removal of SMP and some more obscure modules (network cards, scsi drivers) to speed up recompile time.  Module speedstep_centrino run on boot under rc.conf

Laptop is unbranded (badged by Novatech-UK) but as I said, under Ubuntu and Gnome worked perfectly.

Thanks for any help

Daren

#2 2006-01-07 18:00:37

Daren

Re: KDE battery applet [Solved]

Replying to myself as nobody seems to know the problem.

Out of curiosity, I tried with Gnome, and continue to get random readings/reports which are completely inaccurate.

I have also seen this in the logs:

ACPI-0412: *** Error: Handler for [EmbeddedControl] returned AE_TIME
    ACPI-0508: *** Error: Method execution failed [_SB_.PCI0.BAT0._BST] (Node c18e29e0), AE_TIME
    ACPI-0412: *** Error: Handler for [EmbeddedControl] returned AE_TIME
    ACPI-0508: *** Error: Method execution failed [_SB_.PCI0.BAT0._BST] (Node c18e29e0), AE_TIME

Have no idea what that means, anybody?

I have tried with new kernel as well with same results.

Any ideas hugely appreciated

#3 2006-01-07 21:31:44

UnrealX
Website

Try recompilling your kernel with .config from your ubuntuu (if you still can get it). Or try downloading unmodded KDE from kde.org.

Also, you could check google:
google: Method execution failed [_SB_.PCI0.BAT0._BST]

#4 2006-01-08 14:41:25

Daren

It seems there was a change that requires ´ec_burst=1´ in the kernel boot line to do with embedded controller polling.

Adding this to the grub boot menu appears to fix the issue with the log lines and the battery applet.

Board footer