You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-23 20:40:54

root

[Solved]flashplugin-sse2-nosse2 compilation fails due to stat

I am trying to (re)install the flashplugin-sse2-nosse2 package as a NOSSE2 user in order to help the package author (SSE2 only user) track down the problems I encountered during the latest package update.

As I did not remember all of the error notifications (2) I decided to unistall the package and reinstall it to get them again and, as stated, report them.

The problem I am facing now is that the (1st) error notification I get

install: cannot stat 'usr/bin/flash-player-properties': No such file or directory

seems to "demand" a previously existing file to do stat on it which, to me, does not make much sense as it is a fresh install of the package. And as that stat procedure fails (I vaguely recall a second stat failure related to the flash-player-properties.png icons install later on as the 2nd and last error notification from the previous successful update) the compilation is cancelled.

I was able to fix it in the previous update attempt as there was, due to being an update, indeed a pre-existing file and I just had to 'patch' the path in the PKGBUILD. Though this 'patch' is worthless now in a clean install.

Any clue on why stat seems to demand that pre-existing file even on a clean install?

Last edited by root (2013-10-23 22:08:48)

\(o_X)/
                        'Cause I wanna be an Archy - An Archy in the UK // Sex Pistols

#2 2013-10-23 20:49:59

alphaniner

Re: [Solved]flashplugin-sse2-nosse2 compilation fails due to stat

I'm no makepkg or PKGFILE guru, but I think that error indicates the file does not exist in the src directory. Also, 'stat' is not referring to a command (incorrect, see post 4). Try for example copying a non-existant file:

$ cp foo bar
cp: cannot stat ‘foo’: No such file or directory

Last edited by alphaniner (2013-10-24 13:30:03)

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#3 2013-10-23 22:07:47

root

Welcome to the club alphaniner, regarding the guru status that is.

Thank you for your input. Your comment indeed clears things up in order to find out where this error notification originates.

Even the stat error makes much sense as indeed the file (stat is run on) has to exist in order to be able to perform the determinded kind of action on it. In the end I confused destination with source, maybe even enforced due to the apparent success of my 'temporary fix'. Thanks again.

\(o_X)/
                        'Cause I wanna be an Archy - An Archy in the UK // Sex Pistols

#4 2013-10-24 13:29:00

alphaniner

Hmm. I had assumed stat was some common library function due to seeing that error from multiple commands. Whether intended or not, you prompted me see that there actually is a stat command. Plus its help indicates that the shell may have its own version which "usually supercedes" the binary.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

Board footer