You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-25 00:31:42

Aloz1

[Solved] Issue with systemctl poweroff/suspend/hibernate

Hi everyone,

For the last couple of days I've had an when trying to poweroff/suspend/hibernate my computer which I can't fathom how to solve. Basically the issue is that if I try to run systemctl poweroff/suspend/hibernate, I get an obscure error stating that:

User lightdm is logged in on seat0.
Please retry operation after closing inhibitors and logging out other users.
Alternatively, ignore inhibitors and users with 'systemctl poweroff -i'.

I'd rather not ignore inhibitors as they are there for an important reason, I'd much rather solve the problem. Also, it seemed rather odd that I could use lightdm's own shutdown and suspend commands from it's menu after I had logged out (I don't know if that has any relevance at all, I just though it might be a useful bit of info). So in looking at the error I thought it might be a good idea to poke around a little bit. The outputs of the loginctl and systemd-inhibit --list are respectfuly:

SESSION        UID USER             SEAT           
        c2        620 lightdm          seat0           
        11       1000 alastair         seat0           

and

Who: root (UID 0/root, PID 1223/NetworkManager)
    What: sleep
     Why: inhibited
    Mode: delay

So now that I have this information I have absolutely no idea how to solve my problem. Any and all help given would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Aloz1 (2013-11-05 09:51:59)

#2 2013-10-25 06:43:32

Raynman

Re: [Solved] Issue with systemctl poweroff/suspend/hibernate

Same here. I keep trying lightdm every now and then because it (with gtk greeter) is the nicest DM I know of (dependencies, usability and appearance of the greeter), but it is still so *** buggy. Now it no longer crashes or delays shutdown till a timeout after two minutes, but there's this session hanging around.

Further inspection revealed that the state of that session is always "closing" (but it never gets to "closed"). I could also still poweroff without sudo from my launcher; not having a terminal on stdout/stderr probably has the same effect as -i. Since you don't seem to have any active inhibitors (currently), you could work with that (and check inhibitors everytime?), but having this session open also means your system(d) never goes into the idle state (which I use to put the system to sleep after a while).

I was not prepared to put in any more time after the trouble I went to to get lightdm to "work" in the first place, so I went back to LXDM, but I'll keep an eye on this thread.

#3 2013-10-25 10:20:41

Aloz1

Idealy I'd like to not switch from lightdm as it's been working without any issues for me for the last year and a bit. If it comes to changing, I think your right in that LXDM is a good choice. For now though, I'll see if anyone else has a solution or can at least point me in the right direction.

#4 2013-10-28 11:53:43

Aloz1

I suppose that means no one else has a solution at all (which probably also means not many others are experiencing the same issue as me sad ) Even if you guys don't have any propper solutions, I'm sure someone would be able to at least point me in the right direction (am really dreading needing to change display managers after having lightdm work really well for such a long time)
Thanks in advance to ANYONE who can give me at least a little bit of help with lightdm.

#5 2013-10-31 22:20:43

konni

i do have the same issue. but no solution ;/

#6 2013-11-04 09:43:36

$trunk
Website

I've never had that issue, but it seems it was reported as a bug here: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=62676

A patch was released which is said to solve the problem: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/sys … e14bdfd0ed

Please someone give it a try and tell us how it went.

#7 2013-11-04 12:32:25

Raynman

That was six months ago. systemd has gone from 201 to 208 since then, so that patch (it was really just a regular commit) should be included by now.

And while there are some similarities, I don't think it's the same problem (and my money is still on lightdm being the culprit).

#8 2013-11-04 21:53:41

Diraso

I had the same issue (and I use the workaround using lxdm for now).
However, on my laptop running arch as well, i don't have this problem. One thing i saw: on my PC lightdm had a process systemd --user.
Don't know, where or when this is called, but that might be the problem.

#9 2013-11-05 00:14:44

Raynman

I just did my daily upgrade, saw there was a lightdm update and decided to check the changes. A patch from upstream was backported to fix a bug that seems like it might be the problem we were seeing.

Going to poweroff now, sleep and try it out in the morning.

#10 2013-11-05 06:34:17

Aloz1

Yep, it looks like the update has fixed the problem for me.

#11 2013-11-05 09:39:33

konni

same here. nice!

#12 2013-11-05 09:51:01

Aloz1

I'm marking this as solved (let's see if I can figure out how tongue )

Board footer