You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-25 11:15:12

RaumZeit

What are the rules for AUR packages that rely on Alien bins [solved]

Hi,

I use ArchLinuxArm and want to create an AUR package that gets binaries from, lets say Fedora ARM, extracts them and modifies the config files in order to make it compatible with the Arch way of Linux. Of course, the PKGBUILD I am going to write will limit installation on the appropriate arcitecture, e.g. armv7h, then.

Is this generally allowed or will my package be deleted after submission to AUR?

Best,

RaumZeit

Last edited by RaumZeit (2013-10-27 01:38:31)

#2 2013-10-25 11:32:49

karol
Archivist

Re: What are the rules for AUR packages that rely on Alien bins [solved]

Can't you get the source code?
Wrt to ARM in AUR, see https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail … 25833.html

#3 2013-10-25 11:37:49

RaumZeit

This is rather problematic, the package in question is a thunderbird addon, and compiling that from source is (a) a pain in the a** since thunderbird has to be (at least partly) compiled in the same run and (b) compiling it uses tons of memory (due to thunderbird compilation) that most users won't have on their ARM device.

Last edited by RaumZeit (2013-10-25 11:45:50)

#4 2013-10-25 15:52:54

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Generally allowed if you're not violating any license problems. There's quite a few software I know of which requires that from debs/rpms.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2013-10-25 16:10:22

RaumZeit

That sounds good!

Of course I will take care about licensing issues.
I am also aware of some other packages that repack alien packages but I wasn't so sure about the actual policy, since the wiki for AUR packaging is all about compiling from source

Anyway, thanks for the answers, I think I just proceed creating the PKGBUILD for my package...

#6 2013-10-26 02:53:09

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

RaumZeit wrote:

the wiki for AUR packaging is all about compiling from source

Well of course, almost everything in Linux is compile-able from source, after all.

RaumZeit wrote:

Anyway, thanks for the answers, I think I just proceed creating the PKGBUILD for my package...

Don't forget to mark the thread [solved].

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#7 2013-10-26 19:07:42

shulamy

what about

wiki wrote:

(absolutely no binaries)

?

ezik

#8 2013-10-26 19:09:41

karol
Archivist

shulamy wrote:

what about

wiki wrote:

(absolutely no binaries)

?

ezik

I'm not sure what part of the wiki exactly are you quoting, but I think you're talking about 'no uploading binaries to the AUR' rule. If the binaries are downloaded from some external server, it's just fine.

#9 2013-10-26 19:35:30

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

1. AUR queries should be posted to the aur-general mailing list.

2. As indicated in the thread linked by Karol above, it is permitted to append unsupported architectures to the arch array of a PKGBUILD that builds on officially supported architectures. That does not necessarily mean that we will allow packages that only build on unsupported architectures. This should be discussed on the mailing list. I have a vague memory of this coming up before and I think the consensus was that such packages would not be supported, but that consensus may have changed. Personally, I do not see a problem with such packages right now and I expect official supported to be extended in the future,  so I am in favor of allowing them.

3. Packages that install pre-compiled binaries should be distinguished from normal packages with a "-bin" suffix. Such packages are permitted as long as they do not violate applicable licenses.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#10 2013-10-27 01:50:48

RaumZeit

@Xyne: Thank you for your comments!

A post to the aur-general mailing list will follow.

As I stated before, it is most likely that users who want to install the packages I created won't fulfill the hardware requirements to build the binaries by themselves. As soon as the thunderbird extensions in question, that I currently made available from Fedora ARM binaries, are covered by the regular ArchLinuxArm repos, I will request their removal from AUR.

#11 2013-10-27 17:56:43

shulamy

you are right @karol,

but i thought it is for security and i don't see the difference.

ezik

#12 2013-10-27 18:04:33

Scimmia
Fellow

shulamy wrote:

you are right @karol,

but i thought it is for security and i don't see the difference.

ezik

It's not for security, it's to keep the AUR from being a hosting site.

Board footer