You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-21 14:11:43

mixtr

Issues with multi boot with Windows 7 bootloader

I'm having issues with booting linux through Windows 7 bootloader. When I select linux I'm presented with a black screen, GRUB in the top corner, a blinking cursor and a frozen computer.

I followed the instructions from the wiki page Windows and Arch Dual Boot and installed GRUB following those instructions Install to partition or partitionless disk from the GRUB wiki page.

I was allowed to test linux on my work computer and I plan on installing Windows 7 in a VM but I still need the original Win installation to fall back on and for my backup to use my computer when I'm on vacation. The reason I need to keep the Win bootloader is because we use PGPDesktop to protect our computers which asks for a password before showing the bootloader, and I believe it is installed in the MBR and I don't want to mess with it if I don't need to.

Some info:
boot style BIOS (UEFI disabled)
arch x86_64
grub installed on /dev/sda3 with --target=i386-pc
(did not find much info on the target option, should it be different?)

Thanks for your help

-- mixtr

#2 2013-10-24 16:29:05

mixtr

Re: Issues with multi boot with Windows 7 bootloader

Made some improvement. I installed EasyBCD on Windows and let it find grub and copy it on C: for me. Now when I boot and choose linux I get grub's command line. However, I do not seem to be able to load the kernel. It is installed on an extended partition (/dev/sda5) and grub only lists hd0,0, hd0,1 and hd0,2

-- mixtr

#3 2013-10-31 17:32:07

mixtr

Re: Issues with multi boot with Windows 7 bootloader

It turns out that I'm dumped in the GRUB4DOS shell of PGPDesktop and not grub2 from my linux install. It doesn't recognize the extended partition or the ext2 filesystem from /boot (primary partition)

-- mixtr

Board footer