You are not logged in.

#126 2013-10-30 22:15:30

bohoomil
Website

Re: infinality-bundle-fonts: a free multilingual font collection for Arch

This is mainly a package update release, introducing alternative destination directories for fonts, improving build scripts and fixing minor issues.

1. From now on, all font packages will be installed in separate directories, e.g.

/usr/share/fonts/otf-crimson-text-ib
/usr/share/fonts/t1-source-code-pro-ibx
/usr/share/fonts/ttf-noto-sans-ib

It means that you no longer need 'xorg-mkfontdir' and 'xorg-mkfontscale' dependencies since the fonts will not be indexed for use by Xorg. This has actually been an unnecessary step for quite a time, so having studied the case I decided to maintaint fonts in a more appropriate and efficient way, IMO. (Beware, that a few packages from official Arch repos we need still require 'xorg-font-utils'.)

Relevant CHANGELOG snippet:

* fontconfig-infinality-ultimate 2.11.04-5
** 37-repl-global-free.conf -- added new substitution patterns,
   a few were modified:
   Calibri       => Carlito (temporary beta switch)
   Garamond      => EB Garamond
   Gill Sans     => Lato (temporary switch)
   Lucida Bright => Linux Libertine
   Lucida Sans families => Droid Sans
   Palatino      => URW Palladio L
   Tahoma        => DejaVu Sans Condensed
** Minor bug fixes.
** General built cleanup and fixes.

* infinality-bundle-fonts
** switching to per-typeface install locations
   instead of global TTF/OTF/Type1
** adding new typefaces:
   Alegreya (OTF: extra)
   Andada (OTF: extra)
   Scada (OTF: extra)
   EB Garamond (T1, OTF: extra)
   Libre Baskerville (T1, OTF: extra, base)
   Libre Caslon Text (T1, OTF: extra)
   Linux Libertine & Linux Biolinum (T1, OTF, TTF: extra)

2. Two packages will need '--force' to upgrade properly:

ttf-noto-serif-multilang-ib
ttf-noto-sans-multilang-ib

3. Here comes a long awaited Wiki page: Infinality-bundle+fonts. Font Configuration and Unofficial User Repositories have been updated, too. Every patient reading, lingustic check and general advice is always welcome and appreciated.

Good luck and have fun (not pains wink ).

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#127 2013-10-30 22:17:24

orschiro
Website

@Unia

As stated on the first page:

Default sans-serif, serif, monospace, fantasy, cursive
serif => Heuristica
sans-serif => Noto Sans
monospace => Liberation Mono
fantasy => Signika
cursive => Tex Gyre Chorus

I guess, that should be it.

#128 2013-10-30 22:33:54

Unia
Website

^ Oh, oops.. Missed that! Thanks

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#129 2013-10-30 22:35:27

bohoomil
Website

@Unia, if you enjoy extremities, you can install only Liberation fonts from the Arch repos and Noto families + Heuristica from [ib-fonts].

The basic collection of fonts from my repository was meant to replace MS families -- hence there are quite a few packages. However, what you really want to install is entirely up to you. If a particular typeface required by a Web site is missing, it will be replaced by fontconfig with a randomly chosen one, belonging to the same group (i.e. another sans, serif or mono, unless the site is using dynamically loaded webfonts). I think you should experiment on your own and see if such a meager selection of typefaces is disturbing to you or not: you can always reinstall any package you find necessary, though.

Edit: Third party tech support has been there before me. Thanks. smile

Last edited by bohoomil (2013-10-30 22:36:40)

#130 2013-10-30 23:17:39

Unia
Website

^Thanks! I've already removed half of them and I'm now testing the remaining ones to see which I can see myself put to use in the future. Again, thank you so much for your work on this smile

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#131 2013-10-31 02:53:21

cfr

The new fonts sound great. Do you recommend the type 1 or opentype versions where there's a choice?

EDIT: For libertine, I installed the truetype version to replace the one from the official repos but I noticed it is a lot smaller than the official package (that + type 1 versions of caslon and eb garamond still got me a net negative install size!).

Last edited by cfr (2013-10-31 03:03:21)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#132 2013-10-31 05:07:37

donniezazen
Website

Thank you again.

I am wondering if server problems could be solved by using Open Build Service.

#133 2013-10-31 20:59:43

bohoomil
Website

cfr wrote:

For libertine, I installed the truetype version to replace the one from the official repos but I noticed it is a lot smaller than the official package (that + type 1 versions of caslon and eb garamond still got me a net negative install size!).

Arch package comes with both TTF and OTF in a single archive, hence its size is different.

Speaking of font formats, for the most part I stick with Type 1. T1 still appears to be a better choice: Luxi families, DejaVu, Inconsolata, even Open Sans are way less fussy and more consistent, they usually 'just work' without extensive or any tweaking at all. I decided to upload some typefaces in both formats (or even three, like Linux Biolinum/Libertine) to increase the configurability and flexibility of the project (some may need extra linguistic support offered by OTF, for instance), but as I have already stated elsewhere, the bundle prioritizes T1 over OTF and TTF.

@donniezazen, I had been experimenting with OBS for several months and originally I wanted to release my packages this way. I eventually decided to use the 'traditional' Arch approach, though: it is much more versatile and easier to do the job with 'devtools' and 'chroot', without any additional subsystem in between.

Sooner or later our server is going to be upgraded anyway. I have already mentioned a mirror offered by hokasch, which is working perfectly well. I have not made it public yet because it is possible that in mid-November I will be able to get my own commercial hosting in Europe, with a proper domain, so it is just a matter of two more weeks for things to clear up. Of course, this would be the best solution as well as the fairest one.

Yesterday's little breakage had nothing to do with the server, though: it was my local network that suddenly went down for several minutes. smile

#134 2013-11-01 17:52:08

F34R

I get some error at pacman update.

failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
ttf-noto-sans-multilang-ib: /etc/fonts/conf.d/65-ttf-noto-sans-ui.conf exists in filesystem
ttf-noto-sans-multilang-ib: /etc/fonts/conf.d/65-ttf-noto-sans.conf exists in filesystem
ttf-noto-serif-multilang-ib: /etc/fonts/conf.d/65-ttf-noto-serif.conf exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

#135 2013-11-01 17:58:29

bohoomil
Website

Check this post, point 2. wink

#136 2013-11-02 04:36:51

ceri

error: t1-tex-gyre-ib-2.005-2-any.pkg.tar.xz appears to be truncated: 18185/0 bytes
warning: failed to retrieve some files
error: ttf-unfonts-core-ib-1.0.2-2-any.pkg.tar.xz appears to be truncated: 18185/0 bytes
error: failed to commit transaction (failed to retrieve some files)

#137 2013-11-02 04:39:31

cfr

Try again. You may need to delete partially downloaded files but you may not - try without doing that first as it usually works fine.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#138 2013-11-02 04:42:10

ceri

cfr wrote:

Try again. You may need to delete partially downloaded files but you may not - try without doing that first as it usually works fine.

I already tried that multiple times. That worked for me last time too, but it's not working now, so I assume its a server-side issue.

Last edited by ceri (2013-11-02 04:42:22)

#139 2013-11-02 05:02:14

ceri

ceri wrote:
error: t1-tex-gyre-ib-2.005-2-any.pkg.tar.xz appears to be truncated: 18185/0 bytes
error: ttf-unfonts-core-ib-1.0.2-2-any.pkg.tar.xz appears to be truncated: 18185/0 bytes
error: failed to commit transaction (failed to retrieve some files)

Upon further inspection of the repo, it seems that it's missing those files:

t1-tex-gyre-ib-2.005-2-any.pkg.tar.xz
ttf-unfonts-core-ib-1.0.2-2-any.pkg.tar.xz

If anyone else is having the same issue, you can grab them from the dropbox mirror:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ugmxbui00chi … 1QUR/fonts

#140 2013-11-02 07:43:11

bohoomil
Website

@ceri, thanks for reporting. It seems that the server has a new hobby: 'eating' random files. I reuploaded all missing bits (there were five more, to be exact) so for now it should be OK.

#141 2013-11-03 03:54:54

brenix

@bohoomil, can you also check the t1-paratype-ib package? I've tried clearing my cache etc, but it seems this one may be corrupt too. At the moment I just --ignore the package and the other fonts installed just fine..

#142 2013-11-03 06:27:39

bohoomil
Website

It is there: see the listing (there should be 121 files altogether). I have just downloaded a copy to see whether it can be extracted and the archive is OK. You have mentioned clearing the cache: sometimes when a foo.pkg.tar.xz.part leftover is found there, pacman may not be able to re-download foo.pkg.tar.xz. In such cases it reports a truncated file error, too.

#143 2013-11-03 19:13:12

wildshu

After tinkering a bit with settings (raised grayscale filter, changed hinting to slight). I'm reporting that I'm very happy with results. Didn't have to replace any font, yet, thanks to Droid replacing Luxi (yay!, looking great).
Not everything is perfect though. Along the way I'm noticing various kerning issues (probably related to certain font types), like text not aligned properly  in brackets, r smushed with n (looking just like m) and other glaring spacing issues with random letters being separated from rest of the word ,o , i or other.
I'm going to take notes on font type and sizes and report later on.

Last edited by wildshu (2013-11-03 19:14:05)

#144 2013-11-03 19:26:55

orschiro
Website

@wildshu

I can confirm some spacing issues. This is the example of Noto Sans 12 in Libre Office Writer:

http://i.imgur.com/MqHa1WR.png

#145 2013-11-03 22:37:46

wildshu

orschiro wrote:

@wildshu

I can confirm some spacing issues. This is the example of Noto Sans 12 in Libre Office Writer:

http://i.imgur.com/MqHa1WR.png

Yeah, that's what I'm experiencing in Firefoxes, it's probably Noto too. It's not even that obvious always, just that spacing doesn't make much sense, letters are glued at random, in inefficient way.

Last edited by wildshu (2013-11-03 22:43:18)

#146 2013-11-04 02:03:23

donniezazen
Website

I have also noticed letters move as I hover mouse over KDE settings.

#147 2013-11-04 02:08:50

bohoomil
Website

Just for the record: I know about kerning issues, but for now I cannot do much about them. For LO, you may try setting 'Xft.hinstyle: hinstlight', but it may have an unwanted effect on other Gtk+ apps (hence I decided to set 'hintfull' instead). I am going to reconfigure freetype2 one day and see how this can be improved, but this is a pretty complex task involving plenty of testing and lots of fontconfig tweaking: not a piece of cake, unfortunately…

#148 2013-11-04 10:40:38

orschiro
Website

@bohoomil

Thanks for taking care of it. Is it a problem related to specific fonts such as Noto Sans or a more general problem with infinality?

#149 2013-11-04 19:44:00

rumpelsepp
Website

Hi bohoomil,
thanks for your great work! smile

I have installed infinality-bundle and the infinality fonts package. But I have two issues.
- The fonts replacement works strange and not as expected. For example in a pdf (generated with Word 2007) in Evince Arial is replaced with OpenSans instead of Liberation Sans. This looks strange and I have problems with the printing of my university documents...
- Firefox uses DroidSans as Sans Serif fonts and messes up a few websites. I have configured to use DeJa Vu in the Firefox Settings... No idea what's happening.

I use Gnome 3.10 and I have no other font patches etc. installed.
Can you help me? smile

edit:
Screenshots:
- https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/372 … hl_001.png
- https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/372 … hl_002.png

Last edited by rumpelsepp (2013-11-04 21:08:42)

Every time I see some piece of medical research saying that caffeine is good for you, I high-five myself. Because I'm going to live forever. -- Torvalds, Linus (2010-08-03).

#150 2013-11-04 22:11:38

bohoomil
Website

@orschiro, this is a bit complex. Most often, the problem affects sans families: Noto Sans is one of the safest fonts around, while TeXGyreHermes is a much more evident example. Generally speaking, if a typeface was not polished enough to work as a screen font, than it is more likely to behave odd wherever dynamic scaling is required. (Keep in mind that text processors, like lowriter, are especially tricky applications in the way they use fonts on the screen, and Linux environment is not an exception to the rule: things like this happen to MS and Apple as well.) I have already explained the case in the other ib thread and mentioned three freetype2 parameters being responsible for it, which, while set differently, break hinting quite badly. However, I am going to illustrate how all the font rendering backstage works in the real world. Imagine a board like this:

crossword-images-custom2.gif

Each square is a font here. Each black square is a font with major rendering issues, while every yellow is one with visible issues here and there (if put against the white ones), but not as severe as the black. Now imagine that each square can be pushed down in three steps: white ones are all down, black ones are ejected, the yellows are in the middle of the two.

To fix a black font, we need to push it hard down. However, when you do this, another square (sometimes two or more) in different parts of the board goes out and changes the colour to yellow or black. After trying long enough you see that you can tweak the mechanism beneath the board, but your are never going to be able to make all buttons white (because they are all made from different materials, they behave differently under changing conditions--i.e. in different applications--etc. The only thing you can try doing is let some of the buttons stick out and change their colour to yellow or any lighter shade. Wanna give it a go? This is what tweaking font rendering is mostly about. smile

@rumpelsepp, let's see:

1. Arial => Open Sans. Take a look at the font location (/usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/ ...). The font in use has nothing to do with ib-fonts. Is it possible you have TeX Live font directories in your default font path, available for fontconfig? I do not use TeX Live from Arch repositories but as far as I can remember, there is a fontconfig file installed with texlive-core:

/etc/fonts/conf.avail/09-texlive-fonts.conf

You can try disabling this particular typeface via fontconfig. To do so, copy 95-reject-luxi-ttf.conf from /usr/share/doc/fontconfig-ultimate/fontconfig/conf.avail to $HOME/.config/fontconfig/conf.avail and rename it appropriately, e.g. 95-reject-opensans-texlive.conf. Then, replace this:

<selectfont>
    <rejectfont>
      <glob>/usr/share/fonts/TTF-Luxi/*</glob>
    </rejectfont>
  </selectfont>

with this:

<selectfont>
    <rejectfont>
      <glob>/usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype/public/opensans/*</glob>
    </rejectfont>
  </selectfont>

Finally, symlink the new file:

$ cd ~/.config/fontconfig/conf.d
$ ln -s ../conf.avail/95-reject-opensans-texlive.conf .

Check if this helps.

Open Sans will be available anyway if you installed t1-opensans-ib package.

2. failbook.com Frankly, the second screenshot looks pretty decent to me. This is what the site uses by default:

'lucida grande',tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif

Fontconfig-ultimate replaces Lucida Grande with either Droid Sans or Luxi Sans, so the substitution is nothing unexpected here. I believe that for most of the <body>, the site uses simply 'sans-serif' (hence your customization works as expected), but for all the additional text boxes it still respects the above hierarchy. Personally, I would not touch this since the intended design is preserved, but if you want to change it, just create a relevant fontconfig file:

$ cat 36-replace-lucida-grande.conf

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>

<!-- Lucida Grande => DejaVu Sans -->

<match target="pattern">
    <test name="family">
      <string>Lucida Grande</string>
    </test>
    <edit name="family" mode="prepend" binding="strong">
      <string>DejaVu Sans</string>
    </edit>