You are not logged in.

#51 2013-11-02 23:11:00

firekage

Re: Intel PowerVR GMA 3600/3650 linux driver released!

Well, i would like to try but i wolud like also to have working Arch because i know hot to operate on it, how to use pacman and so on.

#52 2013-11-02 23:46:48

jghodd

Bluestar is a full Arch distribution - just pre-configured with KDE. You can change anything you don;t like after it's installed...

http://www.bluestarlinux.org
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bluestarlinux/

#53 2013-11-02 23:48:11

WonderWoofy

I imagine that you might also be able to simply grab their kernel package as well, then use regular Arch.

#54 2013-11-03 00:23:41

jghodd

You could, but then you'll also have to figure out how to get it working on an Intel gma3600 graphics adapter with a 1024x600 native resolution. Bluestar has 4 different releases specifically configured for the gma3600 @ 1024x600:

desktop-e17-gma3600   - 1.0G download, minimal software extras, Enlightenment desktop.
desktop-gma3600         - 2.0G download, small number of software extras, KDE desktop
deskpro-gma3600         - 3.5G download, good variety of software extras included, KDE desktop
deskpro-devel-gma3600 - 4.7G download, wide variety of software extras plus full suite of development tools, KDE desktop

I'd think if you're having issues finding an Arch distro that will run on your d2600/gma3600 netbook at native resolution, you'd be happy to find one that gives you exactly what you're looking for. What do you have to lose? Downloads are currently running at about 1500 per month and my users love it.

It will work on your hardware. Like I said, it runs beautifully on my d2500/gma3600 netbooks. I'm guessing that Acer also has a CedarRock mobo. Without the tweaks you need for the graphics (amongst other things), at best you'll get 800x600, stretched, and it will take you a while to get there.

#55 2013-11-03 05:11:58

jghodd

I don;t disagree with you jasonwryan. Bluestar shouldn;t be supported here, but I don;t see that anyone has asked for that support here. I gave firekage my distro's site address because I have the answers he's looking for, and they're directly related to this topic.

#56 2013-11-03 09:32:22

firekage

I checked Your Bluestar. Dosen't work. The same thing, it should after Welcome Arch Linux load modules with green OK sign, but it won't. Stops after Welcome Linux.

I tried all solutions from ArchWiki, www, other sites - they don't work. It is not, as suggested above, that i need spoonfeeding, i always read than ask, but this problem is not talked over the net, as a matter of fact, i've been reading and trying to fix it since few days, nothing works, also archwiki sites solutions dont'work. I don't know what i can do more to fix it. Only Arch iso from 06.2013 boots, show green OK signs when loading, but i can't install arch because it would install the newest thing that in my case, won't work.

I changed kernels, changed drivers (intel, mesa, fbdev, modesettings), added i915 to mkinitcpio and Arch still won't load past Welcome Arch Linux, there are no green OK signs when loading services, modules, just it stops.I gave up. It worked on earlier version of Arch, now it doesen't.

#57 2013-11-03 10:27:11

jghodd

I had edited my earlier post as follows:

EDIT: firekage, one thing that changed after kernel v3.6 (I think that was the last one that worked - might've been 3.5...) was that GMA3600 LVDS detection went wonky. For some reason, the driver started detecting a non-existent LVDS-1 interface for the default screen. It hasn't been fixed yet. The workaround is to delete the LVDS-1 interface (virtual) via the kernel command line. You'll need to add the following to your kernel params (hit tab at syslinux menu and add it to the kernel command line; add to /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg if installed, assuming you're using syslinux as your bootloader):

video=LVDS-1:d

The reason you're getting to the Welcome message and no farther is because that's when the kernel loads the driver. As soon as that driver is loaded, your screen disappears. Deleting LVDS-1 should fix that and force the driver to default to LVDS-0, which is the correct interface.

If, and only if, your keyboard starts acting up once you've booted up, you'll also need to add the following:

i8042.reset i8042.nomux i8042.nopnp i8042.noloop

Just for future reference, the gma3600 graphics hardware uses the gma_500 driver, not i915. And you shouldn't have to specifically load it at all. The kernel will recognise the hardware and load it automatically. By default, you'll get a resolution of 800x600.

Let me know how that works out for you.

#58 2013-11-03 10:34:46

firekage

jghodd wrote:

As soon as that driver is loaded, your screen disappears.

No, it doesen't disappears, it stays at black screen with Welcom Arch Linux. I will try it but i don't use syslinux, i haven't installed it, tried to boot from usb. I don't know what is default loader. On Arch i have grub2.

Forget to mention - i can't boot this iso from usb because of this bug.

BTW - i don't understand one thing: i tried Kubuntu 13.10, works, just works. Why? Arch has the same kernel versions, the same drivers but it doesen't.

Last edited by firekage (2013-11-03 12:29:42)

#59 2013-11-03 16:32:01

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

jghodd wrote:

I don;t disagree with you jasonwryan. Bluestar shouldn;t be supported here, but I don;t see that anyone has asked for that support here.

firekage wrote:

I checked Your Bluestar. Dosen't work. The same thing, it should after Welcome Arch Linux load modules with green OK sign, but it won't. Stops after Welcome Linux.

Well, that didn't take long...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#60 2013-11-03 17:17:16

cfr

firekage wrote:
jghodd wrote:

No, it doesen't disappears, it stays at black screen with Welcom Arch Linux. I will try it but i don't use syslinux, i haven't installed it, tried to boot from usb. I don't know what is default loader. On Arch i have grub2.

I don't think jghodd meant that your screen disappears in that sense. I guess what happens is that the system switches to what it believes is another screen and which it thinks should be the primary screen. So output is directed there (which unfortunately doesn't exist so you don't see it) rather than you your actual laptop screen. So the idea is that deleting the non-existent screen will force the system to revert to the output it should be using i.e. your actual laptop screen.

With grub, you can edit the kernel command line by pressing 'e' at the grub menu and adding the required parameter(s) before booting. Instructions for the keys to use appear at the bottom of the screen when both the menu and the editor are displayed. (Provided you are using the default text-based menu.)

BTW - i don't understand one thing: i tried Kubuntu 13.10, works, just works. Why? Arch has the same kernel versions, the same drivers but it doesen't.

Perhaps the kernel is configured differently? Perhaps the work around of deleting the spoof screen is done automatically? You could examine the kernel command line Kubuntu is using by booting it and reading

cat /proc/cmdline

See what parameters it is passing to the kernel to get it working and if they are different from the ones you are using.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#61 2013-11-03 18:26:30

jghodd

jasonwryan, firekage won;t get Bluestar support here. I'm trying to help him get his Arch distro up and running. If he tries to ask questions about Bluestar, I'll redirect him to my forum.

#62 2013-11-03 18:45:47

jghodd

cfr, thank you very much for clarifying that for firekage. You captured what I was trying to explain perfectly.

firekage, are you still trying to pre-load the i915, or any other, graphics driver? (btw, it was very late when I wrote that edit this morning - the gma3600 driver is gma500_gfx)

Also, the Welcome message is about the right timing for early kms - which is why I ask about you pre-loading any kernel modules. The gma500_gfx driver supports kms by default, but not early kms, so you shouldn't try to pre-load it, or anything else.

I agree with cfr - if Kubuntu is booting up for you, check their kernel params. The issue you're having is undoubtedly connected to the kernel command line. I'm presuming at this point that you're still trying to boot up stock Arch Linux without a desktop environment, which should typically require little to no extra configuration outside of the kernel command line. Make sure any changes you may have made to mkinitcpio.conf, or anything else under /etc, have been backed out.

Let us know how it goes.

EDIT: Deleting the LVDS-1 screen won't do any harm if it's not needed. You should be using LVDS-0 by default anyway. This is a known issue with the gma500_gfx graphics driver, so you should leave that in the kernel params.

EDIT2: Just a reminder that this forum is for Arch Linux questions only. If you have questions about Bluestar, please register for that forum.

Last edited by jghodd (2013-11-03 19:08:27)

#63 2013-11-03 19:20:15

firekage

jghodd wrote:

cfr, thank you very much for clarifying that for firekage. You captured what I was trying to explain perfectly.

firekage, are you still trying to pre-load the i915, or any other, graphics driver? (btw, it was very late when I wrote that edit this morning - the gma3600 driver is gma500_gfx)

No, i deleted i915 from Hooks at mkcinitcpio.conf. I tried to run these drivers, according to ArchWiki - not that i don't read know how and faqs:

-according to ArchWiki Acer Aspire One 270, xf86-video-intel won't work, that's right, should work xf86-video-fbdev: doesen't
-tried also xf86-video-modesettings according to Arch Wiki and GMA 3600: doesen't work
-tried xf86-video-mesa, the same.

Also, the Welcome message is about the right timing for early kms - which is why I ask about you pre-loading any kernel modules. The gma500_gfx driver supports kms by default, but not early kms, so you shouldn't try to pre-load it, or anything else.

Ok.

I agree with cfr - if Kubuntu is booting up for you, check their kernel params. The issue you're having is undoubtedly connected to the kernel command line. I'm presuming at this point that you're still trying to boot up stock Arch Linux without a desktop environment, which should typically require little to no extra configuration outside of the kernel command line. Make sure any changes you may have made to mkinitcpio.conf, or anything else under /etc, have been backed out.

Yes, i will try it later, when i would have some spare time for it. BTW - i tried to run stock live Arch created from iso on this site, but also installed Arch from this iso do a hard drive. I could load only iso from 06.2013 because the one from 11.2013 has the same problem with my Acer AOD270 like mentioned here and in my topics. Both of them stops at the same moment, that You explained.

Let us know how it goes.

EDIT: Deleting the LVDS-1 screen won't do any harm if it's not needed. You should be using LVDS-0 by default anyway. This is a known issue with the gma500_gfx graphics driver, so you should leave that in the kernel params.

EDIT2: Just a reminder that this forum is for Arch Linux questions only. If you have questions about Bluestar, please register for that forum.

I tried to do this in a way that i though that i would do the right way: i pressed "e" at grub, entered video=LVDS-1:d: doesen't work.  I added it also to grub.cfg, the same. Maybe i do something wrong with this parameter?

#64 2013-11-03 19:21:18

firekage

cfr wrote:
firekage wrote:
jghodd wrote:

I don't think jghodd meant that your screen disappears in that sense. I guess what happens is that the system switches to what it believes is another screen and which it thinks should be the primary screen. So output is directed there (which unfortunately doesn't exist so you don't see it) rather than you your actual laptop screen. So the idea is that deleting the non-existent screen will force the system to revert to the output it should be using i.e. your actual laptop screen.

With grub, you can edit the kernel command line by pressing 'e' at the grub menu and adding the required parameter(s) before booting. Instructions for the keys to use appear at the bottom of the screen when both the menu and the editor are displayed. (Provided you are using the default text-based menu.)

Perhaps the kernel is configured differently? Perhaps the work around of deleting the spoof screen is done automatically? You could examine the kernel command line Kubuntu is using by booting it and reading

cat /proc/cmdline

See what parameters it is passing to the kernel to get it working and if they are different from the ones you are using.

Thank You for and advice and clarification ot "screen problem". I will try to boot Kubuntu and see what's in cat /proc/cmdline running from usb live media.

#65 2013-11-03 19:25:19

jghodd

I'm downloading a clean copy of arch linux right now so we're on the same page. I'll get back to you a little later this afternoon once I've tested the new version on my own cedartrail platform.

We need you to be working with a clean download here so that any previous attempts at re-configuration are not interfering.

#66 2013-11-03 19:37:33

jghodd

No, i deleted i915 from Hooks at mkcinitcpio.conf. I tried to run these drivers, according to ArchWiki - not that i don't read know how and faqs:
-according to ArchWiki Acer Aspire One 270, xf86-video-intel won't work, that's right, should work xf86-video-fbdev: doesen't
-tried also xf86-video-modesettings according to Arch Wiki and GMA 3600: doesen't work
-tried xf86-video-mesa, the same.

Please ignore anything else you;re reading right now. A number of fixes have been made to the gma500 driver in the past few months and everything you're seeing about xf86 not working will just confuse things.

What we want to do at the moment is to get you up and running with a basic, and clean, Arch Linux iso image. No X, no desktop. Just a command prompt. Once we're there we can check to make sure the kernel has loaded the correct modules and that everything appears right. Then we can talk about re-installing X and a desktop environment.

Baby steps, my friend.

#67 2013-11-03 20:04:26

firekage

Ok, thank you for Your patience and time. I will wait.

(i could write with delays because of different timezones, and work hours wink )

#68 2013-11-03 20:44:25

jghodd

Ok, thank you for Your patience and time. I will wait.

No problem.

OK. If you're seeing a grub menu and not a syslinux menu, then you have uefi enabled in your bios. Go to your bios and disable uefi support. You should now be able to boot straight through to the command prompt.

If your keyboard freezes after you boot, you will need to add the following to your kernel command line:

i8042.reset i8042.nomux i8042.nopnp i8042.noloop

Add it after "init" in your kernel command line.

Once you've booted up, run the following:

lsmod | grep drm

You should see gma500_gfx listed here.

It's very likely you have a b43 wireless device, but the firmware distributed with Arch doesn't come with the version you need. Run the following to check:

dmesg | grep -i wireless

and let me know what's returned. I can direct you on how to install the correct firmware, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Let me know how it goes.

#69 2013-11-03 20:55:47

firekage

You want me to check this on Arch iso from 11.2013? If yes, than it will again stops at "Welcome Arch Linux", so i will lose the "screen", won't be able to do anything with 11.2013 iso.

My wifi works ok with wifi-menu from Arch.

Last edited by firekage (2013-11-03 21:01:28)

#70 2013-11-03 21:08:40

jghodd

Yes. Please follow my instructions regarding uefi. Disable it in your bios. You should then boot up to a syslinux menu, not a grub menu. The first time you boot up a clean download of arch 11.01, don't add anything to the kernel command line. If your keyboard freezes, you will have to add the i8042 params. To edit the syslinux command line, enter 'tab" at the menu, not "e".

#71 2013-11-03 21:47:24

firekage

Ok, will check it tomorrow, now it's time for me. Thank you again.

Teres is some misunderstanding between us - i will hit tab at syslinux, enter these : i8042.reset i8042.nomux i8042.nopnp i8042.noloop; if my keyboard freezes, but with it i still won't have screen, i can't even go to a command prompt to enter anything when i "lose" my screen after Welcome to Arch Linux. You want me to put also video=LVDS-1:d here, hitting tab? I want to clarify it. I won't be able to give outputs of anything when my Arch stops, so i want to be sure what to do.

Last edited by firekage (2013-11-03 21:49:40)

#72 2013-11-03 22:00:22

jghodd

To clarify, what we want to do is to boot up a clean download of Arch Linux. Without changing anything at all, you should able to boot up a clean download. However, because there is a known issue with UEFI (EFISTUB specifically) on some systems - that results in booting to a blank screen (cfr can comment on this) - we want to remove this variable from the equation.

So, you need to disable UEFI in your BIOS and enable Legacy Boot. You should now see no sign of the word "EFI" or "UEFI" anywhere in your boot menu, and you'll be using syslinux, not grub.

Again, without changing anything, you should now be able to boot to a command prompt. Once you get to a command prompt, do the lsmod and maybe a little directory surfing. If you have i8042 issues, it might not show up right away. It could take a few seconds or even minutes until you freeze up - it's somewhat random, but it usually will occur within a few minutes at most. If your keyboard freezes, the next time you boot you will need to add the i8042 params to your kernel command line. DO NOT add anything to the kernel command line until you've managed to boot once to the linux command prompt.

#73 2013-11-03 22:11:54

firekage

jghodd wrote:

To clarify, what we want to do is to boot up a clean download of Arch Linux. Without changing anything at all, you should able to boot up a clean download. However, because there is a known issue with UEFI (EFISTUB specifically) on some systems - that results in booting to a blank screen (cfr can comment on this) - we want to remove this variable from the equation.

Ok, now i understand - there is problem. I don't have uefi on Acer AOD 270. After hitting F12 to choose boot, o chose USB, than i see Arch logo, i can choose between Arch x32_64, Arch 686, Memtest, computer info or Reboot option (if i remember). I choose 686, than booting starts and when Welcome Arch Linux shows...all booting stops:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/9057.jpg/

Maybe now there will be better explanation.

Again, without changing anything, you should now be able to boot to a command prompt. Once you get to a command prompt, do the lsmod and maybe a little directory surfing. If you have i8042 issues, it might not show up right away. It could take a few seconds or even minutes until you freeze up - it's somewhat random, but it usually will occur within a few minutes at most. If your keyboard freezes, the next time you boot you will need to add the i8042 params to your kernel command line. DO NOT add anything to the kernel command line until you've managed to boot once to the linux command prompt.

Yes, now i understand what You mean - it is not that way. I'm not able to enter command prompt at all, it stops earlier, i posted picture (bad quiality but You can see where it stops from iso, at the bottom is also pic that shows how the installed system stops:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/811/cre4.jpg/

Now You see. I'm far from entering command prompt. It stops ealier with installed Arch on hard drive and on usb stick created with Arch iso from 11.2013. I can enter command prompt only on iso from 06.2013 on Acer AOD 270 (i tried 11.2013 iso on much older laptop but with really Intel graphic, intel 945, and it works).

In the same manner Your Bluestar stops, at the same time, the same thing wink

Last edited by firekage (2013-11-03 22:13:13)

#74 2013-11-03 22:20:53

jghodd

Ok. If you see the Arch logo, then you're in the right menu,

FYI, you should be able to boot the x86_64 option. The Atom D2600 is a 64-bit processor. However, you should still be able to boot the i386/i686 32-bit option.

You can try adding nomodeset to your kernel command line. Let's see if that changes anything...

Also, I can't tell from your screenshots, but are you seeing any sign of an error?

#75 2013-11-03 22:32:27

firekage

jghodd wrote:

Ok. If you see the Arch logo, then you're in the right menu,

FYI, you should be able to boot the x86_64 option. The Atom D2600 is a 64-bit processor. However, you should still be able to boot the i386/i686 32-bit option.

Tried it also, earlier. I can choose 686, i can choose x86_64, result is the same with 11.2013 iso. Stops at the mentioned place on earlier screens.

You can try adding nomodeset to your kernel command line. Let's see if that changes anything...

Tried it also. Doesen't work at all. I mentioned earlier something more, that shows something weird on installed Arch: when i choose in grub to load only in textmode (single in kernel line) , without gui, it should load, but it won't - stuck at the same time, place.

Also, I can't tell from your screenshots, but are you seeing any sign of an error?

No, no errors, just stops and nothing happens. I can wait even for an hour, nothing happens with 11.2013 iso. This iso works for an really Intel graphic (i tried it on 5 or 6 years Acer laptop 15.6, with Celeron ULV, and i945G, there is some old Intel Graphic Media Accelerator, i think that it is GMA 900 or GMA950).

Last edited by firekage (2013-11-03 22:34:57)

Board footer