You are not logged in.

#1876 2013-10-25 12:32:43

n015_user

Re: dwb - a webkit web browser

Switched from firefox+pentadactyl few weeks ago and accumulated few thoughts since then:                           

Problems:

1) Messages
Sorry if i missed something. I don't know how to access passed messages. Any kind of messages history/log would be great.
Also, when i try to execute non-existant user script i don't get any error message. Don't remember if that's the issue with other commands.

Feature requests:

1) Jump back/forward within document
When i jump to top/bottom of page or search result i have to scroll back all the way. Simple jump to last position would be great.
2) Dwb actions
Currently it's difficult to realise what dwb does on page. How many and what scripts were blocked/allowed? What cookies set or tried to be set?
Statusbar indicators are helpfull but give just basic information.
Dwb could announce somehow that it blocked/allowed scripts/cookies on current page and further information could be accessible via command, for example.

Bugs?

1) Input fields
I have 'gh:focus_input;;insert_mode' in custom keys but it often does not work like it should. Instead, it enters insert mode outside of any input/text field. Same when i issue commands from command line.
On the other hand, when i use 'gi'+'i' shortcuts it works like intended - focus next input field and enters insert mode
2) navtools extension
Next/prev feature doesn't work on https://startpage.com. Works perfectly on this forum. Haven't tested on many other sites.

Thanks for great browser.

#1877 2013-10-25 13:10:27

portix

n015_user wrote:

Sorry if i missed something. I don't know how to access passed messages. Any kind of messages history/log would be great.
Also, when i try to execute non-existant user script i don't get any error message. Don't remember if that's the issue with other commands.

I don't really get what you mean with messages. The history is available under dwb:history.

n015_user wrote:

When i jump to top/bottom of page or search result i have to scroll back all the way. Simple jump to last position would be great.

That's implemented in dwb-git. There are two commands, mark and jump, `<mark>
marks a position and '<mark> jumps to a marked position. The default mark is
', so if you jump to the top or bottom of the document '' will
jump back to the last position.

n015_user wrote:

Currently it's difficult to realise what dwb does on page. How many and what scripts were blocked/allowed? What cookies set or tried to be set?
Dwb could announce somehow that it blocked/allowed scripts/cookies on current page and further information could be accessible via command, for example.

Dwb doesn't block any scripts by default, if scripts are disabled all scripts
are disabled. I started to work on a cookie manager, i'm not sure when it is
done.

n015_user wrote:

I have 'gh:focus_input;;insert_mode' in custom keys but it often does not work like it should. Instead, it enters insert mode outside of any input/text field. Same when i issue commands from command line.
On the other hand, when i use 'gi'+'i' shortcuts it works like intended - focus next input field and enters insert mode

Will try to reproduce it.

n015_user wrote:

Next/prev feature doesn't work on https://startpage.com. Works perfectly on this forum. Haven't tested on many other sites.

It works here on startpage.com, you might need to change the previous/next patterns.

#1878 2013-10-25 13:59:18

jakob

n015_user wrote:

2) Dwb actions

Heyho,

regarding cookies: check dwb:settings (press <Ss> to get there) for the values cookie-expiration, cookie-accept-policy, and cookie-store-policy. The values are quite self-explanatory, and if not, man dwb has more info on it. To whitelist a domain for persistent cookies, press <CC>.

#1879 2013-10-25 16:12:21

Unia
Website

Hey Portix,

I'm currently trying DWB (GTK3 version) as main browser. I'm coming from Firefox so obviously it's a big change for me tongue

I'm noticing one thing that I don't think is intended (at least, the GTK2 version did not have it): the bar in which you enter your commands bumps up in height when it receives focus. I double checked my configuration and all the fontsizes in there are equal. Is this intended, a bug or a setting on my part? Thanks!

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#1880 2013-10-25 17:11:44

n015_user

portix wrote:

I don't really get what you mean with messages. The history is available under dwb:history.

I mean statusbar messages displayed by some extensions or issued by command line commands (like :reload_userscripts gives 'userscripts reloaded' )

portix wrote:

That's implemented in dwb-git. There are two commands, mark and jump, `<mark>
marks a position and '<mark> jumps to a marked position. The default mark is
', so if you jump to the top or bottom of the document '' will
jump back to the last position.

Nice, im using 'community' package and didn't know about that.

portix wrote:

Dwb doesn't block any scripts by default, if scripts are disabled all scripts
are disabled. I started to work on a cookie manager, i'm not sure when it is
done.

One can set dwb to block script globally and then allow on certain pages. It would be nice to know what domains were blocked or allowed on current page. Sometimes I need information about what scripts page execute to enable specific functionality on page.
I could create extension for that, is it possible?

portix wrote:

Will try to reproduce it.

Try on https://startpage.com - dwb enters insert mode outside any input field but when i use shortcuts (not commands) it works well.
It doesn't work on https://wiki.archlinux.org/ at all, i mean i can't even focus search field with 'gi' shortcut.

portix wrote:

It works here on startpage.com, you might need to change the previous/next patterns.

I have custom command for that, but navtools doesn't work for me even if i adjust pattern.

#1881 2013-10-25 17:20:17

n015_user

jakob wrote:

regarding cookies: check dwb:settings (press <Ss> to get there) for the values cookie-expiration, cookie-accept-policy, and cookie-store-policy. The values are quite self-explanatory, and if not, man dwb has more info on it. To whitelist a domain for persistent cookies, press <CC>.

I was thinking about info how many cookies current page or third party domain just set or - if cookies are blocked - tried to set.

Last edited by n015_user (2013-10-25 17:36:32)

#1882 2013-10-25 20:55:21

portix

Unia wrote:

I'm currently trying DWB (GTK3 version) as main browser. I'm coming from Firefox so obviously it's a big change for me tongue

I'm noticing one thing that I don't think is intended (at least, the GTK2 version did not have it): the bar in which you enter your commands bumps up in height when it receives focus. I double checked my configuration and all the fontsizes in there are equal. Is this intended, a bug or a setting on my part? Thanks!

In GTK2 it is possible to remove the inner border of text-entries
programatically, that's not possible in GTK3, i don't know if it's possible with
a GTK3-theme.

n015_user wrote:

One can set dwb to block script globally and then allow on certain pages. It would be nice to know what domains were blocked or allowed on current page. Sometimes I need information about what scripts page execute to enable specific functionality on page.
I could create extension for that, is it possible?

When scripts disabled they aren't blocked at all, they are only disabled, so
they simply aren't executed by the javascript engine.
It's not possible to block scripts from thirdparty domains in webkitgtk, it is
possible to block resources but there is no way of determining the type of
resource that is being blocked.
It would be possible to block resources using libsoup directly, but the resource
then could not be assigned to a tab, also webkit sometimes segfaults if
resources are blocked using libsoup directly.

n015_user wrote:

I have custom command for that, but navtools doesn't work for me even if i adjust pattern.

How have you defined the custom command?

n015_user wrote:

I was thinking about info how many cookies current page or third party domain just set or - if cookies are blocked - tried to set.

You can see all cookies in the webinspector, by default dwb doesn't block any
cookies, the if cookie-store-policy is set to session dwb only has session
cookies. They are lost if dwb is closed.

#1883 2013-10-25 21:51:00

Unia
Website

portix wrote:
Unia wrote:

In GTK2 it is possible to remove the inner border of text-entries
programatically, that's not possible in GTK3, i don't know if it's possible with
a GTK3-theme.

Ah yes, when I change theme I see the outlined borders of the entry. Although it's a minor issue, it's pretty disturbing having a jumping bar down there. Oh well, thanks for explaining!

EDIT: This wouldn't help?

Last edited by Unia (2013-10-25 21:52:28)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#1884 2013-10-26 07:18:22

n015_user

portix wrote:

How have you defined the custom command?

]:exja (
function(){
  var e=document.querySelector("[rel='next'],[value~='next']");
  if(e){
    location=e.href;}
  else {
    var f=document.getElementsByTagName("a");
    var i=f.length;
    while((e=f[--i])) {
      if(e.text.search(/(\b(next|next >>)\b|^>$|^(>>|»)$|^(>|»)|   
                                (>|»)$|\bmore\b)/i)>-1)
      {
         location=e.href;
         break;
      } 
}}}
)();

Similar for 'previous'.

portix wrote:

When scripts disabled they aren't blocked at all, they are only disabled, so
they simply aren't executed by the javascript engine.

Ok, i get it now.

Thanks.

#1885 2013-10-26 21:44:57

straighttokill9

Hi,
I keep my dotfiles in git, but I don't have the same username across all my machines (mainly home/work).  This is a problem for the dwb settings file when using adblock, because adblocker-filterlist is given in absolute path, and git thinks the config file is changing.

This may be considered a bug like "adblock-filterlist should use relative path" but I wanted to check here first.

Any ideas beyond removing adblock or not git-tracking dwb config?

#1886 2013-10-27 10:03:37

portix

If you use adblock_subscriptions you can set filterListDir to something like ~/.config/dwb/adblock_lists instead of data.configDir + "/adblock_lists". If you use adblock_subscriptions you must set the directory in the extensions settings because adblock_subscriptions will set adblocker-filterlist in dwb.
Without adblock_subscriptions you can use ~/.config/dwb/<filterlist>.

#1887 2013-11-02 00:43:15

nonah

So, I'm having a rather weird problem, using dwb on ubuntu.

Flash works perfectly in all browsers, except for dwb. And here comes the strange part, it only works in some places, but when it works it works perfectly. An example:

On youtube, it won't load anything, just telling me I need to install flashplayer. However, the embedded youtube clips, like the previews when clicking a channel, works perfectly.

This seems really strange to me, and I haven't been able to find anything regarding this while searching.

Currently running the latest version compiled from source today. Any help appreciated! Love the bloatfree browser smile

#1888 2013-11-02 23:59:26

pedromj

I've just started using dwb [dwb-gtk3-git from AUR, version 2013.10.29.g26b306a-1] a few hours ago and I noticed that, even though I have set "enable-page-cache" to "true", "~/.cache/dwb" is not populated (it is empty) and I feel like dwb requires more time than, for example, chromium to load a page (e.g. www.google.com). Where is dwb supossed to store its page cache?

Last edited by pedromj (2013-11-03 00:00:21)

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

#1889 2013-11-03 12:35:25

straighttokill9

I playing around with extensions and settings, now I don't beleive extensions are being loaded anymore.  Whenever I type (for example) ":adblock[TAB]" nothing is autocompleted.  Same goes for the commands from any other extension.

I've tried deleting my ~./config/dwb folder, and reinstalling extensions, but autocompletion of commands is still not working, and I don't know another way of testing if extensions are being loaded.

Curiously, when I remove my dwb config folder, dwbem still reports extensions as being installed.  Does dwbem have a different config/install directory?

I can't think of anything obvious I did to break this (which is extemely frustrating!)

#1890 2013-11-03 19:22:37

sekret

straighttokill9 wrote:

Curiously, when I remove my dwb config folder, dwbem still reports extensions as being installed.  Does dwbem have a different config/install directory?

Yes it does! Take a look into ~/.local/share/dwb/extensions and what's in the .installed file.

#1891 2013-11-04 01:48:57

serdotlinecho

Hi, portix. With the latest commit (f780669), autoquvi extensions broken again. I only get "default" and "best". Do you plan to update the extension? Right now, i'm using my previous build dwb-git-2013.10.29.g26b306a-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz, which the extension working as it should be.

This is from f780669:

DWB DEPRECATION: Using system.spawn(command, onStdout, onStderr); is deprecated!
DWB SCRIPT EXCEPTION: in line 260: 'null' is not an object (evaluating '/[0-9]+\.[0-9]+(\.[0-9]+)?/.exec(versionLine)[0]')
DWB SCRIPT EXCEPTION: in line 260: 'null' is not an object (evaluating '/[0-9]+\.[0-9]+(\.[0-9]+)?/.exec(versionLine)[0]')
DWB DEPRECATION: Using system.spawn(command, onStdout, onStderr); is deprecated!
DWB EXTENSION: extension autoquvi: Successfully loaded and initialized.

#1892 2013-11-04 02:01:55

WonderWoofy

I use dwb-git, and occasionally check for updates (commits to your bitbucket repo).  But I was just noticing that dwb in the official repos is from 2013-03-30.  Since it appears as though that "release" is just a snapshot of the repo from that date, maybe it is time to give it an update?  I think there have been quite a lot of improvments to dwb since then.

Just a thought.

Edit: Maybe you could just tag certain points as a kind of "stable" release instead of actually making a real release.

Last edited by WonderWoofy (2013-11-04 02:02:42)

#1893 2013-11-04 19:26:56

Steef435
Website

Hi, thanks for the work on this browser! I'm giving it a try right now and it feels amazing.

I'm having trouble configuring the cookie settings. I'd like to block all cookies and only allow those that I choose to. So I set cookies-accept-policy to "never" and cookies-store-policy to "session". When I try to use "CC" to whitelist this forum(or any other site I tried) for a persistent cookie, I get the following message:

No new domain in current context

Could someone give me a hint to what I'm doing/thinking wrong? I've tried this with the version from the community repo and dwm-git from the AUR.

EDIT: By using CC I mean having a tab with bbs.archlinux.org viewed and then using CC.

Last edited by Steef435 (2013-11-04 19:29:13)

#1894 2013-11-04 20:56:53

portix

@WonderWoofy: i'll mark stable snapshot soon. Before a new release i have to fix some extensions because some parts of the javascript api have changed.

@Steef435: Setting cookies-accept-policy to never completely disables cookies. If you want session cookies and persistent cookies only for a few sites you have to set cookies-accept-policy to always or nothirdparty and cookies-store-policy to session. If you don't want session cookies but persistent cookies for some sites you have to set cookies-accept-policy to always or nothirdparty and cookies-store-policy to never.

#1895 2013-11-04 21:21:01

Steef435
Website

Oh, I see. Thanks for the help!

#1896 2013-11-05 13:27:31

Throne777

Just wanted to drop in and say that this is quickly becoming my favourite browser. Aside from the fact that sometimes it just crashes (can't seem to find any consistency as to what causes it to just totally freeze, but if I do I'll write it up here?), it's almost flawless for what I want out of my browser. Excellent stuff ^ ^

Actually, one thing does spring to mind. How can you copy the URL of the current page to clipboard, say if I wanted to copy and paste the news article URL I'm reading to share on Facebook?

Last edited by Throne777 (2013-11-05 16:35:16)

'All we ever were, just zeroes and ones'

#1897 2013-11-05 16:59:13

ball

Throne777 wrote:

How can you copy the URL of the current page to clipboard, say if I wanted to copy and paste the news article URL I'm reading to share on Facebook?

Press yy. And yY to copy to primary. In order to see/change the key bindings press Sk.

Last edited by ball (2013-11-05 17:00:03)

#1898 2013-11-06 19:49:47

Taroven

I was never much for vim, but dwm has become my browser of choice overnight.

Besides fitting in perfectly with Awesome, being crazy easy to set up, and just crazy quick to use... dwb with five tabs uses less memory and CPU than Firefox does with memory tweaks and just Google up. That's pretty incredible on a netbook with a single gig of ram. I can actually watch Youtube on this thing now!

I really wish that I'd found dwb sooner. Thank you, portix.

Last edited by Taroven (2013-11-06 19:50:57)

#1899 2013-11-07 11:04:32

franziskaner.fan
Website

Hi there!
I'm trying to know how to edit/delete a formfiller saved form with wrong credentials...
I've it encrypted with gpg.
There's any way to overwrite/edit/delete it? (I've already tried to save the data again...)
Thanks!!

#1900 2013-11-07 11:13:58

sekret

You can decrpyt it with

gpg -o forms.txt -d forms

edit forms.txt with your favorite editor (be careful with the syntax!) and re-encrypt it with

gpg -o forms -c forms.txt

Board footer