You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-05 13:39:53

victorqueiroz

How to install only, BUT ONLY what i need in Arch Linux?

Well, when i install BASE package (selecting only: tar, vi, linux), I got an error: Saying that /sbin/init is not on the folder. (I checked up and i figured out that the file is in /usr/sbin/init). And when i made fstab files the kernel does not detect some partitions, i want to know what i have to install to solve that?

I'm really perfeccionist, so, i have no interest to install the whole base package. Anyway, i hope you could help me, and THANKS!

#2 2013-11-05 13:43:35

karol
Archivist

Re: How to install only, BUT ONLY what i need in Arch Linux?

Are you using the latest iso, 2013.11.01, and following the installation guide in the wiki?
Install the whole base first, remove stuff you don't need later, when you get your system up and running. tar, vi and linux is not quite enough :-)

Last edited by karol (2013-11-05 13:43:55)

#3 2013-11-05 13:45:05

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

victorqueiroz wrote:

I'm really perfeccionist

Thanks for the daily irony.

What commands did you actually execute, there is not nearly enough information here.  If you only installed tar vi and linux you would not have anything remotely close to a working system.

You'd need filesystem tools, and (unless you're really a masochist) an init system, a shell, and if this is going to be anything that could be called archlinux, you'd need the pacman package manager.  There are certainly some other essential things I haven't bothered to take the time to think of, then of course each of these things has dozens of dependencies.

There are a few (very few) packages from the base group that you can not install and still have a working system.

EDIT: perhaps you should try LFS.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-11-05 13:46:23)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2013-11-05 13:54:34

victorqueiroz

That's okay about the dependencies and other stuff, but, i want to know if there is some way to install only what i need to have my system running. Or how to know what program i can remove after the installation.

#5 2013-11-05 13:57:10

karol
Archivist

victorqueiroz wrote:

That's okay about the dependencies and other stuff, but, i want to know if there is some way to install only what i need to have my system running.

Try LFS.

victorqueiroz wrote:

Or how to know what program i can remove after the installation.

Only you know what you need, what filesystem are you using etc. Arch Linux isn't meant to be ultra-lightweight.
First learn what each package does, remove it only if you're sure you can live w/o it.

#6 2013-11-05 14:05:23

victorqueiroz

karol wrote:
victorqueiroz wrote:

That's okay about the dependencies and other stuff, but, i want to know if there is some way to install only what i need to have my system running.

Try LFS.

victorqueiroz wrote:

Or how to know what program i can remove after the installation.

Only you know what you need, what filesystem are you using etc. Arch Linux isn't meant to be ultra-lightweight.
First learn what each package does, remove it only if you're sure you can live w/o it.

I can ive without this, anyway, thank you for your answer. I'm very satisfied with ARCH.

Last edited by victorqueiroz (2013-11-05 14:09:22)

#7 2013-11-05 14:29:48

alphaniner

Trilby wrote:

There are a few (very few) packages from the base group that you can not install and still have a working system.

Conservatively, ~20% are potentially optional. That doesn't even include the man packages.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#8 2013-11-05 16:13:47

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

True, the *very* may be overstated, but I think it'd be far easier to exclude (or simply uninstall afterward) the selected packages that aren't required rather than trying to list all those that are.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#9 2013-11-05 17:25:12

teateawhy
Website

wrote:

Well, when i install BASE package (selecting only: tar, vi, linux), I got an error: Saying that /sbin/init is not on the folder.

There is no base package, and the base group consists of multiple packages.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … age_groups

Board footer