You are not logged in.

#26 2013-11-09 17:42:48

WonderWoofy

Re: Resume from suspend occasionally fails.

If it worked before, you might need to just start downgrading recently upgraded packages bit by bit. 

Find a point in your pacman.log where you know that things worked, then take note of all the packages that were updated since then.  Then start downgrading those packages a few at a time.  When it suddenly works again, start resintalling thoat group of packages one by one until you find the culprit.

I am going to have to guess that this is likely a kernel issue though.

Also, don't use pm-utils unless you absolutely have to.  But I think there are no longer any packages that actually depend on pm-utils (horray!).  It is old, crufty, deprecated, and hasn't seen active development for quite some time.

#27 2013-11-09 17:52:33

firekage

I tried to suspend to ram also with kde "buttons" but it fails at the sime way. I downgarded also kernel to 3.9.8 but result was that i could not resume from suspend in the same manner. I tried to downgarde systemd but with older i could not boot at all - i think that this is main suspect (on my Acer AOD270 i could not boot past Welcome to Arch Linux with newest package but i could downgarde it, on my desktop i can't).

I will look into pacman.log, if i hadn't deleted it yet.

I would like to know one thing - it there is an driver installed for user account, is this also installed for root? Maybe i could load root account with gui and check if suspend works on root accout but suspend is done with root privileages so i'm not supre if i'm on right track. One thing more: it is neccesary to have linux-api-headers? I'm trying to find for what purpose this package exist but either i could not find it or my english won't allow me to understand thing about it.

Last edited by firekage (2013-11-09 17:55:52)

#28 2013-11-09 19:29:35

firekage

WonderWoofy wrote:

I am going to have to guess that this is likely a kernel issue though.

Yes, that's right. You're right. I downgarded kernel to 3.9.8.1 with virtualbox dependancies (guest-modules and host modules) without changing systemd and it works! I can resume from suspend without problem. I downgarded with linux kernel also linux acpi headers and linux-firmware (it was from june 2013).

I'm really happy!

(as i often say - i like digging in Arch, as much as i could spend time on it).

So, it was the kernel problem, i tried also lts but it was not working for me either. Maybe 3.12 will fix it. Glad that i hadn't clean yet my /var/cache/pacman/pkg directory!

Edit - i forgot to mention that i delete nvidia again, installed nouveau. Now i can check with nvidia...but nvidia needs newest kernel [:|]

Last edited by firekage (2013-11-09 19:45:00)

#29 2013-11-09 21:50:26

WonderWoofy

The linux-api-headers should have nothing to do with it.  If you read the description of them, they are "Kernel headers sanitized for use in userspace" which means that they are not doing anything in regard to suspending your machine.  That is why they often don't match the current kernel version. 

Nvidia requires the newest kernel because it is a kernel module.  Kernel modules are built against the kernel headers (linux-headers), so are dependent on a given version.  If you want it to work on 3.9.8-1-ARCH, then you need to use the Arch Build System (ABS) to rebuild the package against your running kernel.  You can use the most recent build sources, but you will have to edit the PKGBUILD to make $_extramodules match before building.

#30 2013-11-10 01:38:52

firekage

WonderWoofy wrote:

The linux-api-headers should have nothing to do with it.  If you read the description of them, they are "Kernel headers sanitized for use in userspace" which means that they are not doing anything in regard to suspending your machine.  That is why they often don't match the current kernel version. 

Nvidia requires the newest kernel because it is a kernel module.  Kernel modules are built against the kernel headers (linux-headers), so are dependent on a given version.  If you want it to work on 3.9.8-1-ARCH, then you need to use the Arch Build System (ABS) to rebuild the package against your running kernel.  You can use the most recent build sources, but you will have to edit the PKGBUILD to make $_extramodules match before building.

Thank you for this explanation. I won't be doing it - it is to much for me, i have never understood how to compile by myself, how to build packages, i don't know how to do it, i don't understand the process of building such package in order to use on my kerel version. I switched to nouveau, my suspend to ram now works.

#31 2013-11-10 01:43:38

WonderWoofy

Oh, its not hard. Arch provides a great set of tools for this.  You woudn't really be compiling from source in the traditional way.  All you have to do is use abs to get the nvidia PKGBUILD and accompanying files, change the first instance of 3.11 to 3.9, then run makepkg.  This will automaitcally download the sources, compile, and package it all up for you.  Then you install the package.

But if you are happy with nouveau, then just stick with that.  I really think that unless you have a laptop or are a gamer, it shouldn't matter anyway.

#32 2013-11-10 01:52:55

firekage

I wanted nvidia driver only because of vsync for watching movies (it worked on nvidia), earlier on nouveay glxblank didn't worked (right now i added to 20-nouveau.conf it, i hope it would work when watching movies, but as far as i could see, it works for firefox because when scrolling down webpage, there is no tearing), that's why. I would like to learn this process, i will try to read about ABS but i don't expet too much from myself reading it.

#33 2013-11-10 02:01:36

WonderWoofy

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Abs

Building the official Arch packages is the same as building AUR packages.  But instead of getting the src.tar.gz from the AUR you use the abs command (from the abs package) to get and unpack the src.tar.gz for you.  It is super simple once you wrap your head around it.

#34 2013-11-10 02:42:34

firekage

Thank you, i will read it.

BTW - i had to disable glxvblank in nouveau because after resume i had the same problem that this guy on fedora:
https://ask.fedoraproject.org/question/ … t-to-true/

Without glxvblank set to true, resume works ok. With it, doesen't.

Board footer