You are not logged in.

#51 2013-10-28 19:16:16

kozec

Re: [SOLVED] AWN died

SanskritFritz wrote:
kozec wrote:

Also, I have no problems with Preferences dialog... Can you maybe try to launch it from terminal? It's called awn-settings.

It gives this:

** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (AwnOverlay)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/awn-settings", line 1223, in <module>
    awnmanager = awnManagerMini()
  File "/usr/bin/awn-settings", line 1072, in __init__
    self.createMainMenu()
  File "/usr/bin/awn-settings", line 1137, in createMainMenu
    self.safe_load_icon('gtk-execute', size, gtk.ICON_LOOKUP_USE_BUILTIN),
  File "/usr/share/avant-window-navigator/awn-settings/awnClass.py", line 1061, in safe_load_icon
    icon = self.theme.load_icon('gtk-missing-image', size, flags)
glib.GError: Icon 'gtk-missing-image' not present in theme

Ahem... This looks like completely unrelated error. Is there any chance that your theme is actually missing that icon? That would be good reason for crash, as gtk-missing-image is used as fallback image by pretty-much all GTK based apps.

#52 2013-10-28 19:53:11

SanskritFritz
Website

Hmm I don't remember changing the theme since I last used AWN, but I'll experiment, thanks.

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#53 2013-10-28 22:47:24

Roken

I've had no problem following the patch. The only settings I lost were applets - custom launchers all survived and things are ticking along nicely. No ill effects yet, so good job smile

Ryzen 5900X 12 core/24 thread - RTX 3090 FE 24 Gb, Asus Prime B450 Plus, 32Gb Corsair DDR4, Cooler Master N300 chassis, 5 HD (1 NvME PCI, 4SSD) + 1 x optical.
Linux user #545703

#54 2013-10-28 22:58:15

cb474

Roken wrote:

I've had no problem following the patch. The only settings I lost were applets - custom launchers all survived and things are ticking along nicely. No ill effects yet, so good job smile

That's funny, I defintely lost all of my settings. Appearance, location on screen, applets. It's curious that people are having myriad idiosyncratic experiences. Does anyone know where the settings are being saved now? As I noted above, it doesn't seem to be in /home/user/.config.

#55 2013-10-28 23:46:47

Roken

The only problem I've had is that the cairo menu won't start (which is my preferred menu) - it just repeatedly crashes. Since cairo has a built in places, and I observe the same behaviour with the standalone places applet, I assume they are related, but to be honest, I can live without it (it'sd only a case of muscle memory on my part) so I haven't really looked at trouble shooting it.

Ryzen 5900X 12 core/24 thread - RTX 3090 FE 24 Gb, Asus Prime B450 Plus, 32Gb Corsair DDR4, Cooler Master N300 chassis, 5 HD (1 NvME PCI, 4SSD) + 1 x optical.
Linux user #545703

#56 2013-10-29 08:01:03

kozec

Roken wrote:

Does anyone know where the settings are being saved now? As I noted above, it doesn't seem to be in /home/user/.config.

On my machine are all AWN settings saved to gconf, under /apps/avant-window-navigator, but libdesktop-agnostic has "keyfile fallback," which, I guess, is used when gconf is not available.

Launchers are always saved in ~/.config/awn/launchers and that's probably why they weren't lost along with rest of configuration.

Last edited by kozec (2013-10-29 08:18:19)

#57 2013-10-30 00:40:04

cb474

kozec wrote:

Launchers are always saved in ~/.config/awn/launchers and that's probably why they weren't lost along with rest of configuration.

Hmm, I lost launchers (if by that you mean applets). There's nothing saved in my launchers folder in ~/.config/awn/launchers and I can see that hte folder has not been modified for months.

It looks like (by looking around in gconf) that at least some settings are saved in /usr/share, including an applets list.

Anyway, it's working now. Thanks again for the patched libdesktop-agnostic in AUR.

Last edited by cb474 (2013-10-30 00:40:32)

#58 2013-10-31 08:50:32

Narf

Damn, I had a lot of work lately and had to pass on this. I haven't even updated for a month.
kozec: I haven't tried your patch yet, but I congratulate you on fixing it. I see you worked on the vala source. I was debugging the raw c code with GDB, which is I guess not the best idea (plus I don't know much about GObject).

#59 2013-10-31 20:15:56

p12tic

Hi,

I was so annoyed by the recent awn crashes that I decided to fork and maintain it. The following are the forked repositories:

- https://github.com/p12tic/avant-window-navigator
- https://github.com/p12tic/libdesktop-agnostic

The patch that fixes current breakage has not been applied yet. I'm waiting for kozec to say how should I attribute the fixes to him.

I don't have much time to play with this project, thus I will only be able to ensure that critical bugs are fixed. Also, I'm not an Arch user unfortunately, thus I won't be able to directly test the fixes. Having said that, once awn works on my machine, it shouldn't take lots of effort, if any, to port it to different distributions.

All in all, I hope the project will be useful :-)

Last edited by p12tic (2013-10-31 20:51:14)

#60 2013-11-01 06:27:26

cb474

I'm glad to see someone keep AWN alive. Thanks p12tic.

#61 2013-11-01 08:30:43

somesayinice

Would someone please be so kind as to post the .so files for the patched libdesktopagnostic or if there was a way to create a tar, zip or deb file from the output.  I don't know how to apply the patch in my ubuntu system and even building from git leaves me stuck with an error(python).  I'm running Ubuntu.  I love AWN and it just died.  I'd appreciate the help.  Thank you very much.

Last edited by somesayinice (2013-11-01 08:31:45)

#62 2013-11-01 10:08:15

p12tic

somesayinice wrote:

Would someone please be so kind as to post the .so files for the patched libdesktopagnostic or if there was a way to create a tar, zip or deb file from the output.  I don't know how to apply the patch in my ubuntu system and even building from git leaves me stuck with an error(python).  I'm running Ubuntu.  I love AWN and it just died.  I'd appreciate the help.  Thank you very much.

I've created a PPA for my packages: https://launchpad.net/~p12/+archive/awn/+packages. The fixed deb packages should appear there shortly.

#63 2013-11-01 14:55:45

somesayinice

Thank you so so much.  Your help is much appreciated.

p12tic wrote:
somesayinice wrote:

I've created a PPA for my packages: https://launchpad.net/~p12/+archive/awn/+packages. The fixed deb packages should appear there shortly.

Edit:
So for whatever reason, the ppa didn't build.  But I downloaded the orig.tar.gz and debian.tar.gz and was able to build it on my desktop with the required dependencies.  Thanks for applying those patches.  awn works fine now.  However awn-settings seg faults with the following error:

ImportError: could not import desktopagnostic
  File "/usr/bin/awn-settings", line 54, in <module>
    from awnClass import awnPreferences, awnManager, awnLauncher, awnApplet, awnThemeCustomize, awnTaskManager
  File "/usr/share/avant-window-navigator/awn-settings/awnClass.py", line 45, in <module> import awn
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/awn/__init__.py", line 37, in <module> import desktopagnostic.vfs
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/desktopagnostic/__init__.py", line 20, in <module> from desktopagnostic.desktopagnostic import *
ImportError: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/desktopagnostic/desktopagnostic.so: undefined symbol: pydesktopagnostic_functions

Anyone have any idea why?  Thanks for all your help again.

Last edited by somesayinice (2013-11-02 03:32:01)

#64 2013-11-02 21:09:56

p12tic

somesayinice wrote:

So for whatever reason, the ppa didn't build.  But I downloaded the orig.tar.gz and debian.tar.gz and was able to build it on my desktop with the required dependencies.  Thanks for applying those patches.  awn works fine now.  However awn-settings seg faults with the following error:

from awnClass import awnPreferences, awnManager, awnLauncher, awnApplet, awnThemeCustomize, awnTaskManager
  File "/usr/share/avant-window-navigator/awn-settings/awnClass.py", line 45, in <module> import awn
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/awn/__init__.py", line 37, in <module> import desktopagnostic.vfs
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/desktopagnostic/__init__.py", line 20, in <module> from desktopagnostic.desktopagnostic import *
ImportError: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/desktopagnostic/desktopagnostic.so: undefined symbol: pydesktopagnostic_functions

My next submission has been built successfully. Could you test the published package? awn-settings works for me.

If awn-settings still doesn't work, please file a bug on AWN page on Launchpad, so that the report does not get lost.

#65 2013-11-03 00:54:20

MSXManiac

I post here to say that AWN don't work with ubuntu 13.10 saucy salamander. launched in a terminal the system returns:

** (avant-window-navigator:11710): CRITICAL **: desktop_agnostic_config_schema_get_metadata_option: assertion 'self != NULL' failed

** (avant-window-navigator:11710): CRITICAL **: desktop_agnostic_config_schema_get_metadata_option: assertion 'self != NULL' failed

Falha de segmentação (imagem do núcleo gravada)

Solutions?

#66 2013-11-03 02:37:40

cfr

@MSXManiac,

You should ask on LaunchPad and/or Ubuntu's forums. This forum is for Arch Linux support and it is not likely anybody here will know why it doesn't work for you with a completely different distro.

Read the post directly above yours - it tells you where to report bugs and that place is not here!

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#67 2013-11-03 21:39:09

somesayinice

p12tic wrote:
somesayinice wrote:

My next submission has been built successfully. Could you test the published package? awn-settings works for me.

If awn-settings still doesn't work, please file a bug on AWN page on Launchpad, so that the report does not get lost.

It works!!!.  Thanks so, so much.  I had to clear some older versions in /usr/local/lib.  Thanks so so much.  Especially since I'm getting help for an Ubuntu system in an Arch forum.  Its nice to get some love from y'all.  Once again @p12tic, I really appreciate your help.

Last edited by somesayinice (2013-11-03 21:39:24)

#68 2013-11-10 17:18:00

SanskritFritz
Website

AWN works also with libdesktop-agnostic-git. I stepped up as maintainer for the packages, we'll see how far we'll get. FWIW, AWN is again my default panel. Cheers!

PS: Switching the icon theme from Oxygen to Faenza solved my problem with awn-settings not showing.

Last edited by SanskritFritz (2013-11-12 10:39:42)

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#69 2013-11-12 17:57:07

Narf

Patch works, thanks.
I can't export settings, since AWM seems to ignore settings in gconf, I don't know how does this work. Since we got hit from libdesktop-agnostic, it might be a good idea to look into replacing this in awn with simple ini file, it would make life easier (I don't really see the point of gconf anyway).

Anyway, while we're patching, you might want this patch I made some time ago:

diff -Naur awn-build/src/awn-panel.c awn-build.new/src/awn-panel.c
--- awn-build/src/awn-panel.c	2013-07-20 12:38:26.913094112 +0200
+++ awn-build.new/src/awn-panel.c	2013-07-20 12:42:33.929745978 +0200
@@ -2732,6 +2732,13 @@
   awn_panel_reset_autohide (panel);

position_window (panel);
+   awn_panel_set_expand_mode (panel, priv->expand);
 }

/*

It causes the panel to properly change geometry when the screen is rotated (like with xrandr -o).

I had some weird issues with launchers, but rebuilding extras fixed this I think.

Last edited by Narf (2013-11-12 19:50:41)

#70 2013-11-12 22:02:39

SanskritFritz
Website

Narf wrote:

Anyway, while we're patching, you might want this patch I made some time ago:

Send the patch upstream: https://github.com/p12tic/awn

#71 2013-11-13 01:16:01

Narf

SanskritFritz: what do you mean by "send"?

#72 2013-11-13 09:06:17

SanskritFritz
Website

Narf wrote:

SanskritFritz: what do you mean by "send"?

Do you know how github works?

#73 2013-11-13 09:26:22

kozec

Narf wrote:

Since we got hit from libdesktop-agnostic, it might be a good idea to look into replacing this in awn with simple ini file, it would make life easier (I don't really see the point of gconf anyway).

Gconf has one advantage - configuration changes are applied immediately and that makes scripting a lot easier. For example, i have script that repositions AWN every time when my 2ndary monitor is (dis)connected just by calling gconftool-2 -t integer -s "/apps/avant-window-navigator/panel/monitor_width" <screen size>"

But libdesktop-agnostic is not used only as configuration backend, AWN uses it to work with .desktop files and I seen even some calls for file and color management in source. So, replacing it is surely possible, but may be little problematic.

#74 2013-11-13 13:39:45

Narf

SanskritFritz: I don't know. I have some repository there. Can you cut to the chase?

kozec: for me awn completely ignores what I do with gconf. Not immediately, not after a reboot even. I can have completely different values in gconf and awn's settings. I don't get this system and it's over-complication to me. Maybe I'm missing something or am really unlucky. In order to get the same settings on another computer I had to manually set everything in the GUI (except for the stuff that's saved in the theme). If I wanted such IPC in a program, I'd use dbus.
Desktop file parsing is in GIO, it's what agnostic uses.

Actually, gconf doesn't work for me at all, for anything. Dconf works.

Last edited by Narf (2013-11-13 13:59:13)

#75 2013-11-13 13:43:19

SanskritFritz
Website

Narf wrote:

SanskritFritz: I don't know. I have some repository there. Can you cut to the chase?

There is a bug tracker here: https://github.com/p12tic/awn/issues where you can post your patch. This is now the official repository for awn.

Board footer