You are not logged in.

#1801 2013-10-31 20:44:01

fiddler

Re: Ranger, a textbased filemanager

it's silly but i've got a little problem here , ranger cannot preview image in true colors while in urxvtc but it works great on plain urxvt (non daemonized) does anyone here got the same issue?
also somehow ranger kept refusing to draw borders around column even when i set the correct value ( set draw_borders true)

-Indonesia Raya-

#1802 2013-11-01 13:49:45

shoe

fiddler wrote:

it's silly but I've got a little problem here , ranger cannot preview image in true colors while in urxvtc but it works great on plain urxvt (non daemonized) does anyone here got the same issue?
also somehow ranger kept refusing to draw borders around column even when i set the correct value ( set draw_borders true)

In regards to the preview image issue...
On my setup, if I take the urxvt*depth:32 line out of my .Xresources (and ultimately disable transparency), then w3mdisplay will display images correctly through ranger. Otherwise I get an error somewhere along the lines of w3mdisplay failing to display the image.
I hope this gets worked on because I have a hard time deciding between transparency and image previews tongue

Last edited by shoe (2013-11-01 13:50:24)

#1803 2013-11-01 13:53:06

shoe

bslackr wrote:

The image preview feature has recently stopped working. I get the following error: "Failed to execute w3mimagedisplay []" I do have w3m installed and w3mimagedisplay is located at /usr/lib/w3m/w3mimgdisplay. Any ideas?

Have you recently made your urxvt transparent?

#1804 2013-11-07 14:55:51

fiddler

shoe wrote:
fiddler wrote:

it's silly but I've got a little problem here , ranger cannot preview image in true colors while in urxvtc but it works great on plain urxvt (non daemonized) does anyone here got the same issue?

In regards to the preview image issue...
On my setup, if I take the urxvt*depth:32 line out of my .Xresources (and ultimately disable transparency), then w3mdisplay will display images correctly through ranger. Otherwise I get an error somewhere along the lines of w3mdisplay failing to display the image.
I hope this gets worked on because I have a hard time deciding between transparency and image previews tongue

i have never use any kind of compositor , thus transparency isn't an issue for me , apparently image preview issue was fixed by compiling ranger from the git repository
but i still can't define any theme nor draw column border in ranger

-Indonesia Raya-

#1805 2013-11-10 21:35:51

hauzer
Website

I get errors when I try to rename files / directories to a name that has a forward slash. Is this supposed to happen? Should I somehow escape those slashes?

Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.
What profit hath a man of all his labour which he taketh under the sun?
All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.
For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

#1806 2013-11-10 21:53:45

Ovion

I don't think this is an issue of ranger, forward slashes are the path delimiter, they are not allowed in filenames at all (because you are basically moving the file to the directory named like the string in front of the / without having this directory created and without mv/cp (maybe without mv/cp may even work if there is a directory, never tried)). Try it on shell, if it doesn't work there either (what I expect to happen), it has nothing to do with ranger.

Last edited by Ovion (2013-11-10 21:54:49)

#1807 2013-11-10 21:59:32

hauzer
Website

Hm.. I see. I don't know, forward slashes work perfectly fine in Windows explorer. Existing directories with forward slashes in them work fine with all Linux utilities. I collect music, and I need forward slashes because some LPs / singles have them in their name. My storage partition is NTFS. I normally replace special characters, such as a double colon, with a dash. A forward slash is legal on NTFS, though.

All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.
For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

#1808 2013-11-10 22:25:33

progandy

Linux prohibits slashes in a name since it is used as directory separator. Use an unicode character if you really need it, otherwise use something like ][, %, }{, ~, ... as a separator
http://stackoverflow.com/a/9847306

Last edited by progandy (2013-11-10 22:29:35)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#1809 2013-11-10 22:30:42

hauzer
Website

Actually... I'm an idiot. NTFS doesn't support forward slashes either. As the link above says, almost no filesystem supports it. I guess I'll replace them with a dash.

#1810 2013-11-14 01:33:50

nsmathew

Hi, I have this issue where the program looks for nano to open text/scripts/conf files. I have uninstalled nano. I cannot figure what config or variable it is still referring to and hence trying to start nano. Both EDITOR and VISUAL variables were blank, i tried setting them to vim  and still no luck. Does anybody have any ideas?

EDIT: Please ignore, found it in the wiki, changed rifle.conf.

Last edited by nsmathew (2013-11-14 15:08:14)

Is man one of God's blunders? Or is God one of man's blunders?
Friedrich Nietzsche

#1811 2013-12-04 23:20:12

Ovion

How do I make ranger display image-previews in full resolution instead of ASCII-Art? Unfortunately I don't find any useful information about this except for the fact, that it is *possible*.

#1812 2013-12-07 09:29:15

Kolibry

In your rc.conf, set the "set_preview images" to True.

Asus 1225B - 11,6" -  AMD E-60 Dual Core 1,3Ghz - 4 Go RAM - Disque dur SSD 128 Go -  Radeon HD6290
ArchLinux Openbox - My Github

#1813 2013-12-07 12:41:09

Ovion

Ah, thanks!

#1814 2013-12-13 10:01:50

fukin_jim

I occassionally run ranger as root, and for the most part it's great.  I only have one issue and that is that the bookmarks file at .config/ranger/bookmarks changes ownership to root root.  Is there a way to change this behaviour / stop this from happening?

Also, major thanks for this program, it's the only file manager I use aside from core utils.

#1815 2013-12-18 21:04:18

Ovion

I'm using preview_images = True to preview images (who could imagine!?). However, I often have/had black horizontal bars/blocks over the images, so that I merely can guess the pictures' content. It seems there is a solution for the problem by setting draw_borders true, however, in my opinion ranger is more beautiful without borders and on the other hand I don't see how these options are related. Can anyone shed some light into this? (And maybe come up with a solution to fix the preview with draw_borders false, if there is one?)

Thanks in advance!

#1816 2013-12-19 02:35:51

Veedrac

Ovion wrote:

I'm using preview_images = True to preview images (who could imagine!?). However, I often have/had black horizontal bars/blocks over the images, so that I merely can guess the pictures' content. It seems there is a solution for the problem by setting draw_borders true, however, in my opinion ranger is more beautiful without borders and on the other hand I don't see how these options are related. Can anyone shed some light into this? (And maybe come up with a solution to fix the preview with draw_borders false, if there is one?)

Drawing images in the console is a "total hack" where the framebuffer is directly written to (methinks). ncurses does the printing for all of the text which is then rendered by the terminal emulator. These two things do not see each-other, so they draw over themselves haphazardly. Unfortunately sometimes when ncurses tries to blank a section of the screen that had text, it overwrites an area that had an image drawn over it.

draw_borders does not fix the main problem for me, but I see how it might help. [WARNING: Guesswork in progress] When you change the end of a line, the terminal may blank all the following part of the line. When you change lines *without* borders, this happens. Then the section of the image on the changed line is blanked.
With draw_borders, the line is not changed at the end (there is a border there). Therefore no such overwriting happens.

Basically, this isn't an easy thing to fix.

Last edited by Veedrac (2013-12-19 06:11:07)

#1817 2013-12-22 02:05:19

ryzion

When browsing video files, ranger gets quite slow. Is there a way to prevent this?

#1818 2013-12-22 03:09:34

Veedrac

ryzion wrote:

When browsing video files, ranger gets quite slow. Is there a way to prevent this?

Yes. Look at your preview options (such as the preview script) and turn off stuff that's causing the slowdown. You can edit scope.sh for more fidelity (remove the "video/*" from line ~81).

#1819 2013-12-22 12:14:56

Ovion

@Veedrac

Ah, forgot to thank for the info. Makes sense, thanks!

#1820 2014-01-12 19:28:58

aka1g

Love ranger, great app!
But how to make the slow copy operation (any copy operation that takes time) not to freeze it? Can I run copies in the background?

#1821 2014-01-13 09:04:33

Runiq

aka1g wrote:

Love ranger, great app!
But how to make the slow copy operation (any copy operation that takes time) not to freeze it? Can I run copies in the background?

Copying tasks are run in a different thread (though, judging from the jerkiness, not in a different process). You can still navigate around ranger after starting a copying job, and you can show the currently running tasks by pressing w.

#1822 2014-01-13 14:47:23

aka1g

Maybe that's just the network copy and copy to some SD cards, but ranger won't respond until finished (or respond with a 10sec delay).

#1823 2014-02-01 14:49:00

archerie

Hi, I have feh installed but ranger keeps opening images in eog. Looking at the default rifle.conf feh appears after eog, which means it should take precedence right? I haven't made any customizations to rc.conf or rifle.conf. How can I get it to open in feh? (I don't want to uninstall eog)

rifle.conf has this:

#-------------------------------------------
# Image Viewing:
#-------------------------------------------
mime ^image, has eog,    X, flag f = eog -- "$@"
mime ^image, has sxiv,   X, flag f = sxiv -- "$@"
mime ^image, has feh,    X, flag f = feh -- "$@"
mime ^image, has mirage, X, flag f = mirage -- "$@"
mime ^image, has gimp,   X, flag f = gimp -- "$@"
ext xcf,                 X, flag f = gimp -- "$@"

#1824 2014-02-01 15:01:48

Miblo
Website

Try putting feh above eog and see what ranger does.

@archun: Intel® Core™ i5-4210M • [GPU] Intel® HD Graphics 4600 • [Kernel] linux-ck-haswell
Handmade.NetworkGitLab
The Life and Times of Miblo del Carpio

#1825 2014-02-13 19:49:30

Le Void

A few months ago somebody in this thread said that ranger in termite does not yet support true color preview using w3mimgdisplay.
I found that w3mimgdisplay itself works inside of termite, so is there any chance termite true color preview support for termite will be added soon, or is there already a way to make it work?

Board footer