You are not logged in.

#151 2013-11-04 22:36:38

rumpelsepp
Website

Re: infinality-bundle-fonts: a free multilingual font collection for Arch

@bohoomil
1)
Thank you very much for your answer. That's right, I use texlive and there is the file

/etc/fonts/conf.avail/09-texlive-fonts.conf

with the content:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
 <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
 <fontconfig>
   <dir>/usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype</dir>
   <dir>/usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype</dir>
   <dir>/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/opentype</dir>
   <dir>/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/truetype</dir>
 </fontconfig>

I will test your solution and tell you about the result.
If it works as expected I think it should be included in infinality-bundle. smile

2)
Well failbook... it's right. I did't realize that lucida-grande is to be replaced by droid sans. I just noticed that Droid Sans looks really ugly in small font sizes...
The given file works really well, thank you very much again! smile

But the terminal output is a bit different. I cannot interprate this, because I am not very well informed about fonts and fontconfig...

$ fc-match "Lucida Grande"                                 
DejaVuSans.ttf: "DejaVu Sans" "Book"

Every time I see some piece of medical research saying that caffeine is good for you, I high-five myself. Because I'm going to live forever. -- Torvalds, Linus (2010-08-03).

#152 2013-11-04 22:44:39

bohoomil
Website

The terminal output does not matter: I am using Type 1 version of DejaVu, hence the difference.

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#153 2013-11-05 01:30:59

cfr

Is it really best, perhaps, to disable the use of the TeX Live fonts by fontconfig altogether? Especially since they are intended primarily for printing - that is, they just aren't intended to be optimised for screen use. (And if you use pdflatex, for example, and prepare your PDFs properly so fonts are embedded, you will still see the PDFs you generate precisely as they will be seen on another machine - insofar as PDF viewers are consistent, at any rate - since I'm assuming fontconfig doesn't override fonts embedded in PDFs? Not even sure that's possible...)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#154 2013-11-05 03:15:11

bohoomil
Website

We are not disabling TeX Live fonts, just one typeface to see if Evince respects fontconfig's rules and default fonts in /usr/share/fonts. I am not sure if the problem can be solved this way, but since the location was not the one I expected to see, we need to check whether disabling a font in TeX Live makes Evince pick the same family from /usr/share/fonts. (I have assumed that the OP is not using other fontconfig *.conf files but those that come with fontconfig-ultimate. However, maybe we should have started with this…)

I have not used pdfLaTeX for quite a long time: XeLaTeX is definitely a better solution for me since it uses TTF and OTF fonts by design. Sometimes PostScript fonts (pfb, afm) can be quite tricky with it, let alone generic LaTeX fonts which cannot be used at all (I do not really need them, though). If both pdfLaTeX and XeLaTeX are able to use system wide font locations, then disabling a font you already have in your system in a different format does not really matter. Any font available in your system you declare will be used.

Speaking of tricky PS fonts. Open Sans T1 works perfectly well as a screen font, but for some reason it has severe kerning problems in XeLaTeX. That is why I use a TrueType copy in PDF documents:

\setsansfont[Path=/opt/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype/public/opensans/,BoldFont=OpenSans-Bold.ttf]{OpenSans-Regular.ttf}

The TTF version is not seen by fontconfig, but is used and embedded seamlessly. I only need to modify the way a font is declared.

Last edited by bohoomil (2013-11-05 05:08:30)

#155 2013-11-05 03:48:04

cfr

Sorry. I didn't mean that's what you had suggested. I wondered if it would be recommended since I guess that the fonts I have from TeX Live will override those from your bundle in other cases, too.

I dabbled with XeLaTeX briefly but pdfLaTeX is a better option for me right now since it is likely more straightforward to convert to Word format. Also, I have no reason to switch at the moment. So I don't use system-wide fonts in TeX documents and I don't need the TeX Live fonts to show up in fontconfig in order to use them with TeX. (And if I did, it's easy to back out the change.) So I wondered if not making TL fonts available to the system might produce better font rendering. This would not be an option if it gave me a misleading picture of the PDFs I'm producing but I'm pretty sure that ought not happen with embedded fonts.

I just wondered if you'd expect fonts installed for TL to interfere with the results of your font rendering, given they are installed for use system-wide.

EDIT: Interesting re. type1 and Open Sans. I wonder if the kerning comes out right if you use the LaTeX package which I'm assuming uses the converted type1. I don't know how XeLaTeX deals with type1 fonts.

Last edited by cfr (2013-11-05 04:06:18)

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#156 2013-11-05 06:01:37

bohoomil
Website

cfr wrote:

I just wondered if you'd expect fonts installed for TL to interfere with the results of your font rendering, given they are installed for use system-wide.

As long as we are talking about fontconfig, it is always safer to keep only one variant installed. Linux Libertine and Latin Modern may be the exceptions: Libertine's OTF, TTF and T1 are each named differently, and so are Latin Modern OTF and T1. This way you can use separate rendering rules for each format and nothing should go wrong. I have never used it myself, though. Quite often the names are the same regardless of the format, so when you have both TTF and OTF, fontconfig will choose randomly one of the two. A long time ago it was my first 'traumatic' encounter with messy font rendering: since then I have managed my fonts manually to know exactly what and were it was installed, in a single copy, obviously.

All in all, the answer to your question is positive, in my opinion. Not from the TL realm, but Luxi families are a good example: they are available in three formats, the quality of each is different (Mono and Sans especially), the names are always the same. Imagine having at least two variants installed simultaneously, simply because you did not know that T1 came with xorg-fonts-type1, so you additionally pulled font-bh-ttf from [extra]. The critical family will sooner or later start breaking the picture. That is why it is wiser to swap one format for another instead of mixing them (or, like in my Open Sans example, use them both but separately, for different purposes).

Open Sans is really a mystery to me. Most of the T1s I have play nicely with XeLaTeX, just like regular outline fonts (here OTF and TTF are recommended formats). Open Sans T1 comes out quite badly, unnaturally expanded and out of control. This is not a big problem since there is the TTF version, but it still remains incomprehensible to me what is really wrong with that guy…

#157 2013-11-05 12:28:28

frabjous

I dabbled with XeLaTeX briefly but pdfLaTeX is a better option for me right now since it is likely more straightforward to convert to Word format.

Why would this be? XeLaTeX and pdfLaTeX use the same input files, with the exception perhaps of one or two package choices. What are you using for the conversion that makes a difference (and couldn't be solved just by, e.g., deleting the XeLaTeX package calls before conversion)?

There are, however, other reasons to prefer pdfLaTeX... one important one being speed of compilation.

So I wondered if not making TL fonts available to the system might produce better font rendering. This would not be an option if it gave me a misleading picture of the PDFs I'm producing but I'm pretty sure that ought not happen with embedded fonts.

If it helps, I never make TL fonts available to fontconfig, and yes, because the fonts are embedded, this never poses a problem for viewing PDFs.

#158 2013-11-05 21:49:03

cfr

frabjous wrote:

I dabbled with XeLaTeX briefly but pdfLaTeX is a better option for me right now since it is likely more straightforward to convert to Word format.

Why would this be? XeLaTeX and pdfLaTeX use the same input files, with the exception perhaps of one or two package choices. What are you using for the conversion that makes a difference (and couldn't be solved just by, e.g., deleting the XeLaTeX package calls before conversion)?

Oh, I could. It is just that it would be one more thing to undo. Why go to the trouble when pdfLaTeX does what I need? Really, it is just that I don't have anything I can see to gain by switching.

#159 2013-11-08 10:44:12

orschiro
Website

@bohoomil

Is this part of the installation still correct?

Install required font packages:
pacman -S gsfonts ttf-liberation xorg-fonts-type1 ttf-mph-2b-damase ttf-droid infinality-bundle-fonts

If I do so (wanted to update my system), I get:

looking for inter-conflicts...
:: xorg-fonts-type1 and t1-adobe-utopia-ib are in conflict. Remove t1-adobe-utopia-ib? [y/N] y
:: xorg-fonts-type1 and t1-bh-ib are in conflict. Remove t1-bh-ib? [y/N] y
:: xorg-fonts-type1 and t1-cursor-ib are in conflict. Remove t1-cursor-ib? [y/N] y
:: xorg-fonts-type1 and t1-ibm-courier-ib are in conflict. Remove t1-ibm-courier-ib? [y/N] y
:: gsfonts and t1-urw-fonts-ib are in conflict. Remove t1-urw-fonts-ib? [y/N] y
:: ttf-droid and ttf-droid-ib are in conflict. Remove ttf-droid-ib? [y/N] ^C
Interrupt signal received

#160 2013-11-08 16:51:40

the_drew82

I've been a lurker for awhile, but I finally registered and have to compliment the author on his work, this is incredible. I'm so pleased with the results.

Excellent work!

#161 2013-11-08 17:21:22

WonderWoofy

orschiro wrote:

Is this part of the installation still correct?

Install required font packages:
pacman -S gsfonts ttf-liberation xorg-fonts-type1 ttf-mph-2b-damase ttf-droid infinality-bundle-fonts

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 7#p1347057

#162 2013-11-08 21:02:50

bohoomil
Website

@orschiro, sorry, I was unable to update the wiki yesterday. Please, check the other thread mentioned by WW for details.

BTW: Thank you everyone for your support of any kind. I deeply appreciate it.

#163 2013-11-09 01:04:37

cfr

Oh! Look!

$ pacman -Ss \(ibfonts-meta\)\|\(meta-ib\)
infinality-bundle-fonts/ibfonts-meta-base 1-1 [installed]
    infinality-bundle-fonts base collection meta package
infinality-bundle-fonts/ibfonts-meta-extended 1-1 [installed]
    infinality-bundle-fonts extended collection meta package
infinality-bundle-fonts/t1-xorg-fonts-meta-ib 1-1 [installed]
    infinality-bundle-fonts xorg fonts meta package

Fantastic, and thank you so much for making it this easy to have great fonts smile.

#164 2013-11-09 01:43:53

WonderWoofy

I too decided on the ibfonts-meta-extended smile  Indeed, now sooo easy.

#165 2013-11-09 02:56:09

Perfect Gentleman

as I understand

gsfonts , ttf-liberation , ttf-mph-2b-damase , ttf-droid

are not required packages now, right?

#166 2013-11-09 02:58:04

WonderWoofy

Correct.  Install one of the meta packages, and it will take care of everything for you... depending on what you choose.

#167 2013-11-09 18:00:02

orschiro
Website

Thank you all guys. These meta packages are great and so much easier to maintain! smile

Last edited by orschiro (2013-11-09 18:00:23)

#168 2013-11-10 04:16:55

cfr

I realised that a bonus is that installing for the first time - or a big upgrade - will also be faster because the fontconfig cache will (presumably) get updated once per package rather than once per font wink.

#169 2013-11-11 00:43:50

sl1pkn07

┌─┤[sl1pkn07]|[sL1pKn07]|[/etc/fail2ban]|
└───╼  LANG=C yaourt -S infinality-bundle-fonts-extra
[sudo] password for sl1pkn07: 
:: There are 28 members in group infinality-bundle-fonts-extra:
:: Repository infinality-bundle-fonts
   1) otf-alegreya-ibx  2) otf-andada-ibx  3) otf-ebgaramond-ibx  4) otf-fira-mono-ibx  5) otf-fira-sans-ibx  6) otf-latin-modern-ibx  7) otf-libertine-ibx  8) otf-libre-caslon-ibx  
   9) otf-scada-ibx  10) t1-ebgaramond-ibx   11) t1-inconsolata-zi4-ibx  12) t1-lato-ibx  13) t1-libertine-ibx  14) t1-libre-baskerville-ibx  15) t1-libre-caslon-ibx  
  16) t1-source-code-pro-ibx  17) t1-source-sans-pro-ibx  18) ttf-dejavu-ibx  19) ttf-dejavusans-yuanti-basic-ibx   20) ttf-dejavusans-yuanti-condensed-ibx  
  21) ttf-dejavusans-yuanti-mono-ibx  22) ttf-droid-monovar-ibx  23) ttf-gentium-tug-ibx  24) ttf-junicode-ibx  25) ttf-lekton-ibx  26) ttf-liberastika-ib  27) ttf-libertine-ibx   
  28) ttf-ubuntu-font-family-ibx

Enter a selection (default=all): 
warning: ttf-liberastika-ib-1.1.3-2 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: otf-ebgaramond-ibx and t1-ebgaramond-ibx are in conflict

edited, uncut [ code]

Last edited by sl1pkn07 (2013-11-11 05:46:18)

#170 2013-11-11 02:11:23

bohoomil
Website

Why do you need all the packages from infinality-bundle-fonts-extra? Why do you want to install several versions of the same font (e.g. EB Garamond Type 1 and OTF)? Choose only one format: I think otf-ebgaramond-ibx would be the right choice here.

BTW: infinality-bundle-fonts-extra is not supposed to be installed just like ibfonts-meta-base and -extended. This is merely a collection of additional typefaces to choose from as you need them.

Last edited by bohoomil (2013-11-11 02:12:24)

#171 2013-11-11 05:43:52

sl1pkn07

why not?

the problem is the infinality-bundle-fonts-extra group install 2 versions of same font with conflicts between both (edit the previous post to uncut code)

this need fix (for example leave out T1 version of ebgaramond-ibx if OTF is better)

greetings

Last edited by sl1pkn07 (2013-11-11 05:54:51)

#172 2013-11-11 08:50:23

bohoomil
Website

sl1pkn07 wrote:

why not?

Because it was not designed to be used this way. This is a feature, not a bug, and there is nothing to fix.  Of course, you can drive your car from the back seat if you want, but it is highly unlikely that the steering wheel was installed so far away by mistake…

#173 2013-11-19 20:27:25

neotech

I'm trying to install Infinality-bundle through the repos using

pacman -S infinality-bundle infinality-bundle-multilib ibfonts-meta-base

It fails because of a DejaVu conflict:

t1-dejavu-ib and ttf-dejavu-ibx are in conflict (ttf-dejavu). Remove ttf-dejavu-ibx? [y/N] y
error: failed retrieving file 't1-dejavu-ib-2.34-4-any.pkg.tar.xz' from ibn.net63.net : HTTP server doesn't seem to support byte ranges. Cannot resume.
warning: failed to retrieve some files
error: failed to commit transaction (download library error)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

I then tried to install DejaVu by itself from the repo using

pacman -Sd t1-dejavu-ib

and I get the same error:

error: failed retrieving file 't1-dejavu-ib-2.34-4-any.pkg.tar.xz' from ibn.net63.net : HTTP server doesn't seem to support byte ranges. Cannot resume.
warning: failed to retrieve some files
error: failed to commit transaction (download library error)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

I'm sure the answer's easy, but I'm new to Arch and would appreciate any help!

#174 2013-11-19 20:37:09

karol
Archivist

Only t1-dejavu-ib-2.34-4-any.pkg.tar.xz.sig exists on the server, the package itself is gone. It's probably another case of hungry hungry repo.

It happened before: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 2#p1344592

Last edited by karol (2013-11-19 20:38:51)

#175 2013-11-20 00:07:44

bohoomil
Website

Yep, the same old joy…

Thanks for reporting, I've already reuploaded 8 missing packages.

BTW, just a reminder: please use the backup Dropbox copy of the repo in case things like this happen. It's always up-to-date and has never failed (so far). Check the Wiki (Infinality-bundle+fonts) for details.

Last edited by bohoomil (2013-11-20 00:10:16)

Board footer