You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-11 14:43:47

totzo

Soooo Fast! so good!

Hi all,

I've just started using arch after trying quiet a few other distros and the first thing that strikes me is how fast it is. Has anyone else noticed this? I'd really like to know why this is! Anyway, sorry if I'm just re-itterating a well known subject. Thib is the best distro I've tried so far and reckon I'll be sticking with it for now.

imagination is more important than knowledge!

#2 2006-01-11 15:03:50

Malek

Re: Soooo Fast! so good!

Depends on what parts you mean are fast:

I used Gentoo before and I love this package manager and binary packages... don't get me wrong, I love a compile as much as the next person but if a Binary Package works just as well, then hell... go for it and save yourself a few minutes / hours.

As for general performance, aye, I noticed this too.  Doesn't have alot of background crap (i.e. Redhat back in the day) and that is something else I love.  My gaming on this system is quite fast so that's why I push this as my favorite distro.

#3 2006-01-11 15:55:06

pikass

it is no magic, just clarity.

little ex: anacron, on ubuntu systems a standard daemon, very useful for a not 24/7 desktop system. Not in arch and at the end all this little helpers are what slow your system down.

#4 2006-01-11 16:12:37

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

You also have that our packages are i686 compiled and most distros are i586 at best (excepting gentoo, which is custom). I'm surprised this makes as much of a difference as it does, but its definately noticeable.

Dusty

Board footer