You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-11 06:20:42

jemiele1

Initrd for those of us that need arch-noscsi to install

I have a Toshiba Satellite 1955-S801 laptop that has been running Arch 0.7 for quite some time. To get Arch installed on it required starting up the boot CD with the "arch no-scsi" argument to the bootloader.

Upgrading to 0.7.1 resulted in a system that would freeze during the boot cycle. Specifically, the last line on the console before the freeze was "Qlogic Fibre Channel HBA Driver". Then it was goodnight Gracie.

After quite a bit of reading, I booted from the 0.7.1 install disc, trimmed out the SCSI modules from the initrd and rebooted. All was well after that. Happy ending, yes?

Well, happy for now, but what about the next upgrade? I see another freeze up in my future. To avoid that situation, I have a suggestion.

Can upgrades include two initrd images? One that is just like the one we have now and the second for those poor slobs like me that have to install with the "arch no-scsi". My reasoning is that if the install disc can give me the option to boot without the SCSI modules, why can't we have a second initrd image to continue that option as I upgrade? I'm thinking something along the lines of "initrd26-noscsi.img" would do the trick. Should be a piece of cake for the maintainer. It would also be a heck of a lot easier for the "noscsi" people than trying to remember to edit the initrd before a reboot into a dead kernel.

Of course, any suggestions that would make things go easier on the ol' laptop would be welcome!

Thanks for your time!

- Joe

#2 2006-01-11 07:15:13

tpowa
Developer

Re: Initrd for those of us that need arch-noscsi to install

please tweak your /etc/mkinitrd.conf then on every upgrade all should be fine. In the future the AUTODETECT=1 will be set, then such things will not happen anymore, we have just to wait for the ppl that they upgrade to newer kernels, then 2.6.12.

#3 2006-01-11 16:53:41

jemiele1

Re: Initrd for those of us that need arch-noscsi to install

Sounds good to me. I'll tweak it tonight and keep my eyes peeled for the next update.

Thanks, tpowa.

Board footer