You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-13 13:22:35

FernandoBasso
Website

(SOLVED) No system sounds, and no sound for some applications

For some reason, system sounds stopped working (like when one takes a screenshot). aplay plays sounds (I mean, no errors whatsoever), but I can hear nothing. Listening from mplayer or vlc still works as normal.
When I 'aplay sound.wav', I see the leds going up and down on pavucontrol, but I hear nothing.

I run openbox and I don't start gnome-settings-daemon with it. It is "pure" openbox.

I checked pavucontrol settings, and also alsamixer but couldn't find anything that could solve the problem. I use pulse-audio, and have pulseaudio-alsa and alsa-utils installed.

Last edited by FernandoBasso (2013-11-16 22:09:34)

There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.

#2 2013-11-16 22:08:57

FernandoBasso
Website

Re: (SOLVED) No system sounds, and no sound for some applications

After two or three more days, even the volume in other applications were almost inaudible.

However...

Talking to the good folds in #archlinux, @Namarrgon told me about F6 in alsamixer. I then switched to HDA Intel, and the master channel was really almost muted. Solved.

#3 2013-11-20 16:31:38

raavas

Good thing you posted the solution, even when you found it elsewhere. This helped me too, my speaker channel was at somehow set at zero.

#4 2013-11-20 16:38:28

FernandoBasso
Website

raavas wrote:

Good thing you posted the solution, even when you found it elsewhere. This helped me too, my speaker channel was at somehow set at zero.

Yeah, I can guarantee that I didn't touch alsamixer myself. I didn't even know the F6 option (although, today I realized it is there very well visible). Anyway, I guess an update might have changed something... I saw other people with similar problems in #archlinux this morning.

#5 2013-11-20 17:57:16

raavas

It happened to me as well after an update.

Board footer