You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-13 18:34:36

jolivier

[SOLVED] Module efivars not found but /sys/firmware/efi/efivars avail.

Hi all,

I'm installing Arch Linux on a new laptop (Dell Precision M6800) but cannot get UEFI to work.
Outside arch-chroot, when I type "modprobe efivars" I get the "Module efivars not found". Which indicates that I didn't boot using UEFI.
But, I booted using it (in my bios I selected my USB drive under the UEFI section and not the BIOS one), and more importantly, I have a fully populated /sys/firmware/efi/efivars folder with non empty files in it. So as I read on some forum, this means I booted using UEFI. So why can't I load the efivars module then? What am I missing? What can I do to debug more?
I have used the 201311 dual iso image and just dd'ed it on my USB drive, I did not follow the instructions from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UE … B_from_ISO because I read them afterwards, but this will be my next step if you tell me this is the reason why UEFI does not work (although I have recently installed an UEFI Arch Linux on a UX31A without doing it so I guess these instructions are outdated).

Thanks for your help,

Olivier

Last edited by jolivier (2013-11-14 10:09:48)

#2 2013-11-13 18:47:45

the.ridikulus.rat

Re: [SOLVED] Module efivars not found but /sys/firmware/efi/efivars avail.

jolivier wrote:

Hi all,

I'm installing Arch Linux on a new laptop (Dell Precision M6800) but cannot get UEFI to work.
Outside arch-chroot, when I type "modprobe efivars" I get the "Module efivars not found". Which indicates that I didn't boot using UEFI.
But, I booted using it (in my bios I selected my USB drive under the UEFI section and not the BIOS one), and more importantly, I have a fully populated /sys/firmware/efi/efivars folder with non empty files in it. So as I read on some forum, this means I booted using UEFI. So why can't I load the efivars module then? What am I missing? What can I do to debug more?

Read the whole section: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … _Variables

Last edited by the.ridikulus.rat (2013-11-13 18:48:21)

#3 2013-11-14 10:08:05

jolivier

Re: [SOLVED] Module efivars not found but /sys/firmware/efi/efivars avail.

Thanks, I indeed found the solution in it. I had to

modprobe efivarfs

(and not efivars, but I'm surprised i had module autocompletion which didnt suggest it) outside the chroot
And in the chroot:

mount -t efivarfs efivarfs /sys/firmware/efi/efivars

(as it is explained in this section and links).
As always, the solution is always in the wiki, its just sometimes hard to find it.

Board footer