You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-12 02:59:54

instantaphex

[SOLVED] ncmpcpp visualizer not working. mpd.fifo not created

I've gone over the wiki several times and searched the forums but I haven't found a resolution, so here I am.  Ncmpcpp keeps complaining that there is no mpd.fifo file.  A brief visit to /tmp confirms this.  It simply isn't being created.  Here are the relevant configs:

~/.mpd/mpd.conf

$ egrep -v '^#' mpd.conf

music_directory     "/home/jb/Music/"
playlist_directory   "/var/lib/mpd/playlists"
db_file                    "~/.mpd/mpd.db"
log_file		      "~/.mpd/log"
pid_file                   "/run/mpd/mpd.pid"
state_file                "~/.mpd/mpdstate"

user                                "mpd"
bind_to_address		"any"

input {
        plugin "curl"
}

audio_output {
type "alsa"
name "My ALSA Device"
format "44100:16:2"
}

audio_output {
type                    "fifo"
name                    "FIFO"
path                    "/tmp/mpd.fifo"
format                  "44100:16:2"
}

~/.ncmpcpp/config

mpd_host = "localhost"
mpd_port = "6600"
mpd_music_dir = "/home/jb/Music"
visualizer_fifo_path = "/tmp/mpd.fifo"
visualizer_output_name = "FIFO"
visualizer_sync_interval = "1"
visualizer_type = "spectrum" (spectrum/wave)
visualizer_look = "=="

~/.mpd/log is of no help.  I see the error on the visualizer section when I hit 9, but nothing gets logged.  Has anyone else had this problem or can possibly give me an idea of what I might look at to solve this problem?

Last edited by instantaphex (2013-11-14 02:17:20)

#2 2013-11-12 03:44:42

WonderWoofy

Re: [SOLVED] ncmpcpp visualizer not working. mpd.fifo not created

mpd.conf man page wrote:

path <path>
              This specifies the path of the FIFO to output to.  Must be an absolute path.  If the path does not exist it will be created
              when mpd is started,  and  removed  when  mpd  is stopped.   The FIFO will be created with the same user and group as mpd
              is running as.  Default permissions can be modified by using the builtin shell command "umask".  If a FIFO already exists
           at the specified path it will be reused, and will not be removed when mpd is stopped.  You can use the "mkfifo"
           command to create this, and then you  may modify the permissions to your liking.

Edit: Spacing fix... hopefully.

Last edited by WonderWoofy (2013-11-12 03:48:12)

#3 2013-11-12 05:04:18

instantaphex

I was able to make the mpd.fifo file, but still no dice.  Now it says "There is no output named "FIFO"".  I also noticed this when rebooting mpd:

$ mpd
output: No 'audio_output' defined in config file
output: Attempt to detect audio output device
output: Attempting to detect a alsa audio device
output: Successfully detected a alsa audio device

Maybe that has something to do with it?

#4 2013-11-14 00:37:50

ajbibb

It sure looks like you have an audio_output section in your conf file, so the error makes me think that perhaps there is another incorrect copy of the conf file that is being read first.  Do you have one at $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/mpd/mpd.conf or one called ~/.mpdconf? Both would be read before ~/.mpd/mpd.conf.

The only other thing I see is you don't have the sticker_file defined (mentioned in the wiki).  Seriously doubt that is the problem as I commented that line out of my conf file as a test and I still get the equalizer, but thought I'd mention it.

#5 2013-11-14 02:17:03

instantaphex

ajbibb wrote:

It sure looks like you have an audio_output section in your conf file, so the error makes me think that perhaps there is another incorrect copy of the conf file that is being read first.  Do you have one at $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/mpd/mpd.conf or one called ~/.mpdconf? Both would be read before ~/.mpd/mpd.conf.

The only other thing I see is you don't have the sticker_file defined (mentioned in the wiki).  Seriously doubt that is the problem as I commented that line out of my conf file as a test and I still get the equalizer, but thought I'd mention it.

That was it.  I had ~/.mpdconf which mpd was using.  I appreciate the help!

Board footer