You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-08 13:50:21

CubeGod

Possible solution to disconnecting issues with Realtek RTL8188CE

As you may recall I've been having issues with my RTL8188CE WLAN card (and if I recall I'm not the only one), anyway I have found something that solves it for, at least, my system
I introduce to you: Linux Mint Debian Edition, the distro itself is irrelevant but how it sets up networking is very relevant, from what I can tell it uses a so called obsolete method of setting up the network firmware this would be ndiswrapper, from what I can tell it works excellent.

Another thing I noticed is that this card is utter garbage in any OS, it doesn't work right in windows either (making multiplayer games... less than entertaining)

Now, here's the catch: I don't recall how LMDE set it up nor do I have a partition running it right now (sacrificed for a pure debian jessie system (I always keep coming back to debian)), if anyone has this card they could try installing lmde to figure out the network setup it is using (actually, that would be really helpful)

Anyway, that's my two cents to the issue of getting this card working
No seriously, that's all. Now off to get my Debian install and then arch install working with this setup to verify that it can be replicated on other systems. (if possible could anyone try this and post their results, I had four disconnects over the last month, three were my own fault for messing with the driver)

P.S if this is in the wrong section (might be, it seemed like the most relevant one to me though) please don't overreact ^^

EDIT: Update - the card seems to work somewhat reliably with the native linux driver on kernel 3.10 with ipv6 disabled, still not perfect but *usable* (as in haven't disconnected for over an hour)
Now, time to do some more experimenting (the actual stability seems very random depending on kernel version, driver version, position of the moon and whether or not you've successfully located elmo)

Last edited by CubeGod (2013-11-08 14:24:19)

#2 2013-11-14 06:48:40

CubeGod

Re: Possible solution to disconnecting issues with Realtek RTL8188CE

UPDATE: Okay, so as I mentioned that running kernel 3.10 with ipv6 (and powersaving) disabled it works, it isn't perfect, it loses connection every now and then, doesn't get any usable speeds and it randomly disconnects and requires a reauth, nothing major as it isn't exactly common (ugh, it's a major improvement over disconnects every two seconds)

This card is still awful though (on an unrelated note I still find it hilarious that the card works even worse in windows *rolls eyes* I blame microsoft)

Board footer