You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-03 08:20:02

jesus franco

XGL is now OPEN-SOURCE!!!

David Reveman the dude from Novell just made the announcment.

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/x … 11922.html

Hey everyone,

my latest Xgl code is now available in a tarboll from here:

http://www.freedesktop.org/~davidr/

I'd like to get this code into freedesktop CVS asap. I suggest that we
put it in a xgl module for now as I'm guessing that it'll take some time
before everything can be merged into Xorg and I don't want to spend any
time merging the code back into the kdrive tree.

I can't wait to get my dirty hands on xcompmgr using opengl even with the ati drivers!  8)

#2 2006-01-03 08:30:35

Neuro

Re: XGL is now OPEN-SOURCE!!!

It sure sounds cool, but I'd rather wait for a stable X.org (7.1? 7.2?) release which would feature this xgl server.

I don't much feel the need to "play around" with these transparency/3d effects, but would welcome them if they were stable/fast/useable. And that propably won't be any time soon.

And since the new features are still on the server side, they're not worth much until the software DEs(gnome, kde, xfce) make use of them.

I am looking forward to KDE4, as it promises to use all these fancy features for real things.

#3 2006-01-03 08:34:23

Cam
Website

Neuro wrote:

I am looking forward to KDE4, as it promises to use all these fancy features for real things.

Do the KDE team have any examples of these "real things" or is it just a case of believing everything you read?

#4 2006-01-03 08:37:48

jesus franco

kde 4 will be based on qt4, and qt4 has a opengl pdf backend. So if the devs make use of it, it can be "real". Currently the kde4 trunk is broken anyway so it doesnt matter. They are still converting everything to qt4. Then they will worry about adding effects and stuff. But still it wouldn't hurt to run xcompmgr with xgl on top of xorg and run gnome with drop shadows in full effect.

#5 2006-01-03 09:00:46

Neuro

Cam wrote:
Neuro wrote:

Do the KDE team have any examples of these "real things" or is it just a case of believing everything you read?

Well, what do you expect? KDE4 won't be released until propably late 2006/early 2007, so they obiously don't work on the effects yet. You can't expect them to show you the effects  in action so what's wrong in reading about them?

What I am really looking forward to is:
- having real transparency in Konsole (not some pixmap workaround which is slow and uses a lot of memory) and other places like kicker etc
- having these nice 'notifications' the Appeal project is talking about
- making use of these 3d effects for things like slide-opening sidebars and such, which would really enhance the UI usability

#6 2006-01-03 10:25:20

Cam
Website

I apologise, I assumed you meant they had ideas of things they can use translucency in without it just being eye-candy. By real applications I thought you meant useful applications. Oops.

#7 2006-01-03 14:00:26

iphitus
Forum Fellow

XGL has been open source and available in CVS for a while now....it was never a closed source project.

#8 2006-01-03 19:38:12

jesus franco

But were developers able to upload patches upstream? From my understanding it was open for the users but not for developers. Now they are openly accepting more developers. The project has been around since 2003 but Novell aquired it sometime after it was created. And now they are opening it up again.

Excuse me if I'm wrong ..

#9 2006-01-03 21:50:31

leeghoofd

iphitus wrote:

XGL has been open source and available in CVS for a while now....it was never a closed source project.

Hi,

As far as I now you are right that the cvs was open. But the data in there was very old. The development was done without committing the stuff to cvs.

But your right that it never was a closed source project, the development was done closed for a while but they never released closed code or something like that.

David

#10 2006-01-04 15:31:12

stavrosg
Website

It isn't wrong for a developer to do any part of his project's development without releasing anything the world, if he/the group feels like doing so; And that's what happend with XGL, or so I understood the whole thing.
The development may progress faster now, but maybe it won't, and I don't think we'll ever know.

I just hope that the project will produce results, for our desktop's good wink

#11 2006-01-10 20:14:34

Michel

Hello,

you can have real transparency and shadows in kde 3.5. Right click on a top-window-border and choose "window settings" (or something like that). It's the second option from the bottom of the menu.
The last item in the left-column is "transparency". Click on it. You can now enable and configure transparency and shadows in the right part.
You can maybe even make windows-specific settings.

Hopefully this helps,

greetings,

Michel

#12 2006-01-10 20:25:26

Gullible Jones

Yes, but that's still not hardware-accelerated unless you use EXA or RenderAccel - which aren't available for all cards.

At any rate... IMHO, it might be a good idea to keep 2D and 3D stuff separate and not do what they're doing with Windows Vista. Remember, you want to be able to use the X server without hardware acceleration, and if everything is drawn via OpenGL, it will drag machines with unsupported hardware to their knees, because software OpenGL rendering is incredibly slow.

#13 2006-01-11 03:08:40

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Gullible Jones wrote:

Yes, but that's still not hardware-accelerated unless you use EXA or RenderAccel - which aren't available for all cards.

At any rate... IMHO, it might be a good idea to keep 2D and 3D stuff separate and not do what they're doing with Windows Vista. Remember, you want to be able to use the X server without hardware acceleration, and if everything is drawn via OpenGL, it will drag machines with unsupported hardware to their knees, because software OpenGL rendering is incredibly slow.

Its not slow for 2D and flat graphics. Only 3D graphics.... which those unsupported hardware suck at anyway.

#14 2006-01-11 08:45:38

Cam
Website

I'd love an entirely OpenGL-based X window system.  Leave drawing up to the video card, doesn't matter what is being drawn on the screen it's still being drawn so let the best hardware for the job do it tongue

#15 2006-01-11 21:06:20

Gullible Jones

iphitus wrote:
Gullible Jones wrote:

Its not slow for 2D and flat graphics. Only 3D graphics.... which those unsupported hardware suck at anyway.

Oh? :shock:

Then let's have it! Can't wait until it's merged with XOrg... :twisted:

Board footer