You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-07 22:10:16

jellywerker

I think I was just bought by ruby.

I have been looking mostly into learning python as my first real language, mainly for webbased stuff and a few mostly cli apps I am interested in making. After looking at ruby though, I saw ruby on rails, and downloaded the video on making a blog engine, my main interest in learning to program. Needless to say the speed and usability of it impressed me greatly. I never thought any language could look so good, and seem so simple.

The main program I am interested in writing is a simple flat text file blogging engine, for use with the website I have in development. After that, I want to extend it with a ruby written web app that makes a photogallery from uploaded pictures with automatic thumbnails and resizing. And after that, probably a very lightweight and simple webforum, supporting image uploading, registered only posting, personal messages, membergroups (for sensitive or paid for information) and simple skinning, along with basic features like avatars, postcount+rankings and titles, and signatures. A lot of work I understand, but with a language liek that, how can it not be fun? big_smile

/me goes off to learn while he is still all fired up and before reality sets in tongue

#2 2006-01-07 22:14:14

ozar

Re: I think I was just bought by ruby.

Ruby is nice, for sure.  I played with it some a few months back but need to get back into serious mode with it again.

oz

#3 2006-01-11 14:02:11

acetylcholine
Website

I'd stick with php.

I love ruby, don't get me wrong, but for now php is more widespread which makes it easy for you to get code examples and whatnot.

It also seems better fitted for the web, since that's why it exists (php that is).

Another reason is that is resembles the 'traditional' languages, so you can use that to write scripts on your sweet sweet arch machine.... not that you couln't with ruby (which is not fast at all, but i think you meant "to learn")

#4 2006-01-11 15:58:59

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

acetylcholine wrote:

It also seems better fitted for the web, since that's why it exists (php that is).

*buzzer sound*
wrong!
I find ruby perfectly suited for the web. Python too.
I find languages that lend themselves to cleaner code, better object-oriented design, and a seperation of backend logic from display logic.. scale much better in the long run (both cpu wise, and maintainability/extendability wise).

Let's not even start talking about code reusability and frameworks.

Another reason is that is resembles the 'traditional' languages, so you can use that to write scripts on your sweet sweet arch machine.... not that you couln't with ruby (which is not fast at all, but i think you meant "to learn")

WTF?!
Maybe you can explain this a bit better. Because I have no idea what you meant by that section.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2006-01-12 03:28:24

jellywerker

I don't like traditional languages, and until ruby (which I am progressing with quite well) I was never able to get the concepts to stay in my head, ruby makes me feel better big_smile

I have used several application built with rails and ruby, and they are very fast, so I don't get what you are saying about slowness, it's like people calling python slow. It is slower when executed as a script usually, but when compiled to byte-code there is usually no visible difference.

Ruby writes mah scripts! I am working on one for filetypes (like the coding challenge, but I probably won't have a good enough level of completeness by then to enter) It seems like it'll be just as fast as bash scripting.

I suppose you should edjumacate yourself before you go spouting words of anti-rubiness big_smile (hehe, I'm a defender of it already tongue)

#6 2006-01-12 03:40:48

ozar

hehe... somehow, I had a feeling that acetylcholine's post was going to draw a reaction from cactus.  smile  wink

oz

#7 2006-01-12 04:58:24

dust
Website

ruby makes me feel better

Right on man! Its why I love it so much. I don't actually feel like an idiot while trying to learn and use it. Ruby works with me like a good friend...mmhhh...sauce...

Writing stories for a machine.

Board footer