You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-02 14:12:51

shaurz

Installing on existing partition - device full?

Hi there. I'm a soon-to-be-ex-Gentoo user, I got tired of compiling, Arch Linux looked like my kind of thing. I've played about with it (0.5) in VMWare, even created a package (Quite easy! It's for Boa web server, I might release it later), so I decided to nuke Gentoo and install it properly.

Thus we come to my problem. I select my pre-existing partitions, tell it NOT to create a filesystem (there's still some stuff on them I want to keep) and when I get to installing packages it halts, saying it cannot resolve dependencies for automake because it cannot find mawk (which is clearly there on the CD).

I've read someone else had the exact same problem, but it was not resolved. On console 5 there is a message saying 'device is full' when extracting tars.

Do I need to mount the install partition before I start? If so, where to? Why does cfdisk show disc1 disc2 disc3 etc. instead of part1 part2 part3 (and are they the same thing? if not, I am selecting the wrong partitions!)

#2 2004-02-02 14:46:16

andy

Re: Installing on existing partition - device full?

You should have looked further in the forum :-) ... this is a common symptom of the target partitions not being properly mounted, indeed.

When you go through the installer, make sure you hit "done" for every step - that will mount the partitions. This is a known issue, though.

disc1-3 and part1-3 should not be the same. How many discs do you have ? 3 ? You can - I think - switch to a different console and invesitgate from there what the discs and partitons are, like digging through /proc and /dev/ide/ and dmesg.

#3 2004-02-02 15:16:11

shaurz

I have 2 discs, but the partitions are being named 'disc' in cfdisk.
I can't remember seeing 'done' anywhere in the installer, but I always selected the option to finish that section (not cancel).

#4 2004-02-03 18:32:47

shaurz

Found it! Didn't notice before that there is a DONE at the end of the list of partitions. Bad UI design! ;-)

Problem now is, there is no bcm5700 module for my ethernet chip (onboard Broadcom gigabit). Can I get a tar of the kernel source Arch uses (with default config) so I can compile for this module? Obviously I can't use abs.

Still in Windows XP :shock: for now.

Edit: This driver is included in 2.6 and later versions of 2.4, but doesn't exist in the /lib/modules/whatever/net directory. Is there a reason why not all drivers are available?

Edit 2: I'll just get it from kernel.org...

Edit 3: No it's not, bugger. It was in gentoo-sources! Will have to hunt it down somewhere...

#5 2004-02-04 04:46:28

shaurz

I found a module called tg3 which seems to work.

Board footer