You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-22 17:08:01

frederikhaa

Gnome freeze when resume from suspend

Dear community, i have a problem.

If i suspend using either systemd or pm-utils, my computer freezes when it resumes. It displays my previous session properly, but everything is frozen, except the mouse. Switching virtual consoles doesn't work either, I have to reboot my laptop in order for it to work. Resume from hibernate doesn't work at all, and it just boots the pc as if i had shut it down. A work around is to switch to another virtual console before suspending (one where no x.org server runs) and then suspend from there, this doesn't work for hibernate though.

My current setup:
Kernel version 3.12.1
fglrx beta 13.11 v7
gnome 3.10

My laptop is a hp pavillion dv7-6143eo

#2 2013-11-22 17:09:56

socials

Re: Gnome freeze when resume from suspend

Resume from hibernate doesn't work at all, and it just boots the pc as if i had shut it down

There are clear instructions on the wiki how to get hibernate working.

#3 2013-11-22 19:04:23

frederikhaa

You are indeed correct. I had already done all the required steps, I thought, but as I read it again I realised I had forgot to change the order of the hooks. So I did, but it only lead to kernel panic once rebooting.
Meanwhile, it hasn't fixed my problem with the suspend functionality, which, according to the wiki, is suposed to work out of the box.

#4 2013-11-23 04:37:32

nutsh

I had what seems to be similar problem. Try leaving opened terminal before suspending then after waking up start some gui app though it - for me it resulted in app returning error codes such as:

WARNING **: cannot open display: unset
Error: Can't connect to X11 window server using ':0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.

The bad news is that I've never found cause or proper fix for it. I ended up re-installing arch - which is most probably an extreme and unnecessary measure.

Board footer