You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-21 19:07:46

life617

Clarification on installing boot loader for UEFI

I just have a question about the beginners guide for arch-linux. I am at the point where I just finished checking my fstab file. The guide says for people planning on booting with UEFI to install gummiboot or grub before chrooting. Is this correct? The reason I ask is because I've grown used to being inside of chroot when installing the boot loader.

#2 2013-11-21 19:32:48

WonderWoofy

Re: Clarification on installing boot loader for UEFI

No, you want to install the bootloader/boot manager and supporting files on the system you are installing.  If you do this outside of the chroot it will install the to live media.  You could use pacstrap or pacman with an alternate root though.

#3 2013-11-21 20:00:06

life617

Ok, thanks. It was a little confusing at first because the guide said you had to do a couple things before logging into chroot if you were using UEFI boot and to click a link and follow the instructions. After clicking the link it then said to log into chroot before installing gummiboot (sort of felt like mixed messages.)

Anyways finally got through the install process with dual-boot after about a week of attempts. ^_^

#4 2013-11-25 18:47:28

zenlord
Website

I have installed linux a fair amount of times, and must say that the wiki has become a little unclear due to the addition of GPT / (U)EFI / ... with which I had no experience before. But oh well, with an Arch USB-stick and an SSD to install to, it takes about two minutes to restart (well, make it 15 altogether :-) ) the complete install procedure...

#5 2013-11-26 10:46:49

brain0
Developer

life617 wrote:

The guide says for people planning on booting with UEFI to install gummiboot or grub before chrooting. Is this correct? The reason I ask is because I've grown used to being inside of chroot when installing the boot loader.

The guide isn't entirely wrong. For UEFI, you need to access efivars to install a bootloader. When running arch-chroot, they are not accessible. This is fixed here and will hopefully be correct on the next ISO.

For now, you must either mount this manually, or somehow install your bootloader from outside the chroot.

Board footer