You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-24 21:05:35

showrbeast

No Network When Using Gateway Assigned IP Address

First post here so go easy on me...  smile

I have ran into an interesting problem here that I have never seen before and cannot find any info online doing searches for over two hours.

I am trying to install Arch on one of my systems that is using a MSI 890FX-GD70 mainboard.  It uses the r8169 kernel module however lspci gives the model as the RTL8111/8168 rev 03 controller.  On the other end is the 2Wire 3801HGV Residential Gateway that comes with my Uverse package.

I had started to install Arch from the 1 Nov 2013 install medium from boot as I want to set up a dual boot setup with Win7 Home Premium.  When I got booted into the install environment I had no connectivity even though both of the onboard NIC's were showing in ip link and ip addr, however there was no IP address assigned.  Running dhcpcd gives output similar to the following (sorry for no direct copy and paste but hard to do when there is no connectivity).

version 6.0.5 starting
enp7s0 waiting for carrier (this is the one that the cable is not plugged into)
enp6s0 soliciting an IPv6 router
enp6s0 soliciting a DHCP lease
enp6s0 offered 192.168.1.66 from 192.168.1.254  (the assigned address that DHCP should be receiving for an IPv4 address is 192.168.1.101 or 102 depending on which NIC I have plugged into)
enp6s0 NAK: from 192.168.1.254
the it starts to loop the lines starting at soliciting the router and ending at the NAK with 2 alternating addresses until I ctrl-C the process.

Now it must be noted that the gateway thinks that Arch is using 192.168.1.68 at this time.

When I set the gateway back to assigning an address from the pool then both the gateway and Arch agree on 192.168.1.66 and I have full connectivity to go ahead and try to install Arch.

While I realize that I could just leave it set to dynamic IP or have Arch set to do static IP, I really prefer to have my gateway assign IP based on the MAC address of the NIC.  Being able to connect at boot from the live install medium should just work, as it has every other time I have installed Linux or Windows (no matter the distro or version).

Hopefully someone can shed some light on what is going on here.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave

Arch User
Learning more everyday...

#2 2013-11-24 21:26:13

ewaller
Administrator

Re: No Network When Using Gateway Assigned IP Address

When you say you set the address, I assume you mean you used a static address.  You need to set a default gateway, presumably 192.168.1.1.  Do that with ip route.  Or, within whatever network manager you are using.  Also, you may need to look, into why your router is offering the wrong address.

And lastly (a personal pet peeve):  "I have ran" should be "I have run"  tongue

Edit: And, of course, welcome to Arch smile

Last edited by ewaller (2013-11-24 21:26:55)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2013-11-24 22:02:50

showrbeast

The address is being assigned as a specific IP based on the MAC address of the NIC by the gateway.  It is not being set as a static IP from within Arch.  Arch is using DHCP to get the address from the gateway, which works fine when the gateway is just getting the address from the available pool as needed and not assigning based on the MAC address. 

I can load SolusOs (older live CD), Windows, and such under both conditions and the OS is assigned the correct IP address (either the one offered by the gateway from the pool, or the one that I have specifically assigned at the gateway level) every time.  This seems to be something specific to the live CD build of Arch that I am using, and cannot test my older Arch install disk as I have tossed it already.

Dave

Arch User

#4 2013-11-25 18:58:58

zenlord
Website

If Arch is set to receive an IP address dynamically through DHCP, it doesn't care how the DHCP-server decides what address to designate - unless you have configured things differently. A simple 'dhcpd' or 'netctl start ethernet-dhcp' (after having configured the example and saving it to the correct dir) should be enough to receive an IP address from THE DHCP-server on your network/subnet.

I suspect your gateway / DHCP-server is not configured correctly. Maybe there are two devices on your subnet handing out IP addresses?

HTH

#5 2013-11-25 19:30:49

showrbeast

As I have already explained, I am using the installation disc that is already setup to get the IP address via DHCP.  The gateway is the only device handing out IP addresses, and Arch is the only OS that is having this issue.  I guess that it is something that is not going to be resolved since everyone is blaming it on the hardware.  Oh well, guess it's time to install the backup distro for boot time installs, and save Arch for the VM's that I use.

Dave

Arch User

#6 2013-11-25 20:20:46

showrbeast

Works perfectly with the latest Chakra live disc, just not with Arch itself.

Dave

Arch User

#7 2013-11-25 22:08:37

ewaller
Administrator

showrbeast wrote:

As I have already explained, I am using the installation disc that is already setup to get the IP address via DHCP.  The gateway is the only device handing out IP addresses, and Arch is the only OS that is having this issue.  I guess that it is something that is not going to be resolved since everyone is blaming it on the hardware.  Oh well, guess it's time to install the backup distro for boot time installs, and save Arch for the VM's that I use.

You must be right.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#8 2013-11-26 10:22:10

showrbeast

Did some testing and it seems that running dhcpcd with no arguments gives the same output as running it with the -r flag and then giving an IP that is not the one set in the router.

ie
dhcpcd
version 6.0.5 starting
enp6s0 offered 192.168.1.66 from 192.168.1.254  (the assigned address that DHCP should be receiving for an IPv4 address is 192.168.1.100)
the it starts to loop the lines starting at soliciting the router and ending at the NAK with 2 alternating addresses until I ctrl-C the process.

dhcpcd -r (any IP except the one that the router will assign)
version 6.0.5 starting
enp6s0 offered 192.168.1.66 from 192.168.1.254  (the assigned address that DHCP should be receiving for an IPv4 address is 192.168.1.100)

dhcpcd -r 192.168.1.100 (the one that the router is trying to assign)
correct output and assignes the IP and is able to connect to the internet.

I am still not convinced that this is a hardware issue as I have stated every other flavor of Linux (including one based on Arch) and Windows connect with no issues, however I do not have another router which to test with.

Would be nice if others with the same Uverse gateway were to test this as well as people using different routers.

(Edit to correct IP's for different computer that I was testing this on.)

Last edited by showrbeast (2013-11-26 10:23:53)

Dave

Arch User

#9 2013-11-26 10:59:33

zenlord
Website

Please check which modules are loaded with those other distro's. The Ubuntu forums mention that for your NIC, the r8169 module should be blacklisted and the r8168 should be used. If this is the problem, then a bugreport should be filed (udev I suppose).

#10 2013-11-26 12:09:55

progandy

You might want to try and alter the way dhcpcd identifies your client. AFAIK, arch uses "duid" by default in /etc/dhcpcd.conf. There is also "clientid" as an alternative (parameter -I / --clientid )

Last edited by progandy (2013-11-26 12:11:38)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#11 2013-11-26 16:56:57

ewaller
Administrator

Okay, it looks like this thread is back on track smile   I would like to point out that nowhere did anyone blame it on the hardware.

The question is, why is the router not offering the "correct" (expected) address to your machine.  You assert that it is configured based on the MAC; a good choice.   But, look at it from the point of view of the router.  Why would it not offer the expected address?  It is probably because it sees your Arch box as a different machine.  Yes, you seem to have to have the same MAC address.  But, if you were the router and if you knew of two machines, perhaps with different host names, that had the same MAC address; would it be prudent to offer the same IP address to both of them on the off chance they really might be different machines?

Or, if the same machine can be a windows box, a BSD box, or a Linux box based on how it is booted, do we necessarily want to give it the same address in each case?  What if something else on the network wants to talk to a port that is hosted in Linux, but not in BSD, do we want to confuse it by having the same IP in both cases?

So (tl;dr) what is your host name in Linux? What host name is being reported by this interface?  What is the host name in the distributions that work as expected?  What host name does the router associate with the MAC and the expected IP (look at the router configuration and/or logs)

---

#12 2013-11-26 19:16:10

showrbeast

Okay, progress...

Changed from duid to clientid in /etc/dhcpcd.conf and then ran dhcpcd.  Offered and connected on the correct IP address.

The Arch iso already has a hostname set (archiso) where every other distro and windows do not set one until installed as far as I can remember.

Doing modprobe -r r8169 and then modprobe r8168 does not work as that kernel module is not on the live disc it seems.  Net works fine with the r8169 loaded.

At least I can make the needed change before rebooting when installing Arch now.

Dave

Arch User

#13 2013-11-26 19:23:34

showrbeast

From what I have been reading it seems that duid is somewhat new and mainly being developed to help with the IPv4 to IPv6 migration so should be able to do without it for now as IPv6 is still being implemented.  Not that big of an issue yet.

Dave

Arch User

#14 2013-11-26 19:48:15

progandy

Using duid for DHCPv4 is useful if you want to uniqely identify your machine across multiple interfaces or you want the same identifier for DHCPv6 and DHCPv4. If you have only a DHCP server for IPv4 and no/stateless/static IPv6, then clientid is sufficient.
And it seems your server matches the clientid against the mac-address to assign pseudo-static IPs, so you have to use the old way to generate it.

Last edited by progandy (2013-11-26 19:50:12)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

Board footer