You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-24 20:00:00

chessboxing

Error device PARTUID= not found. Skippin fsck. unable to find root d..

(my g and h dont work on this netbook dont mind it)

After being long absent on archlinux I have a new laptop and want archlinux. A lot ave been changed.

RUnnin early hook udev
RUnnin early hook lvm2
triggering uevents...
waiting 10 seconds for device /dev/disk/by-partuuid/....    (I thought my lv root for lvm was /dev/mapper/Volumegroup-Root)
error device not found skippin fsck unable to find root device your are bein dropped to a recovery sell

Setup:
gTP is present.
sda1 is ef00 > 512MB (also mounted as /mnt/boot)
sda3 is LVM (root var home and swap)

everytin was properly mounted and swapon. Installed base base-devel and te rest of te installation instructions.
[...]
# mount -t efivarfs efivarfs /sys/firmware/efi/efivars              # ignore if already mounted
# pacman -S gummiboot
# gummiboot install

No errors. So I ten created an entry like te  guide instructed and put root wit PARTUUID=uuidofmyroot rw because my root is inside lvm and I can't define a specific /dev/sda as root.

I don't know wat to do. One ting tat I find odd is tat is says waitin 10 sec for /dev/disk/.... it sould be /dev/mapper/Volumegroup-Root, as I created it obviously wit tat pattern.

New things emerge when they were forgotten.

#2 2013-11-25 18:52:02

zenlord
Website

Re: Error device PARTUID= not found. Skippin fsck. unable to find root d..

Two possible problesm come to mind:
1. The supplied PARTUUID is wrong (verify and maybe try with UUID or plain '/dev/sdxy'
2. There is an incompatibility between your motherboard/SATA controller and your HD/SSD, as is the case between SSDs with a the first gen SandForce-controller and the new Intel Haswell chipset. I am hit by this incompatibility and now sometimes my pc boots right away and other times it takes 10 reboots or more (hanging either at the POST not recognizing my SSD or at the same error you're describing)...

HTH

#3 2013-11-25 22:40:48

chessboxing

I appreciate your reply

1. is carfully copied and my first try was plain /dev/sda3. Tats wy I considered UUID.
Option 2 is also unlikly afaik, because its an asus laptop 2 weeks old. And I suppose tey compose teir ardware correctly.

meanwile I followed a dozen install instructions but unfortunatly wiout succes. Its frustratin tis Uefi. At te moment my installation doesn't even boot a arddrive after te install. Sould I fla a tis efi fs (ef00) as bootable? I tout only wit mbr.

I may resort to ubuntu if tommorow I can't fiure out tis crap. I ope tey ave some uefi support.
tanks fellow belian

#4 2013-11-25 22:44:37

WonderWoofy

Wait a minute... you are trying to use PARTUUID with LVM?  That doesn't make any sense.  The PARTUUID is a UUID that is assigned to the particular block device, while LVM is an abstraction that allows a single (or multiple) block device to hold a number of different filesystems.  So pointing it to the block device is potentially pointing to to a whole bunch of crap.

You should really use filesystem labels or /dev/mapper/* for LVM.  Personally I prefer filesystem labels as they are easy to remember and very human readable.

#5 2013-11-25 22:50:28

cfr

Excuse my asking but if the laptop is 2 weeks old and neither 'g' nor 'h' works, shouldn't you return it?

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#6 2013-11-25 22:55:55

chessboxing

WonderWoofy wrote:

Wait a minute... you are trying to use PARTUUID with LVM?  That doesn't make any sense.  The PARTUUID is a UUID that is assigned to the particular block device, while LVM is an abstraction that allows a single (or multiple) block device to hold a number of different filesystems.  So pointing it to the block device is potentially pointing to to a whole bunch of crap.

You should really use filesystem labels or /dev/mapper/* for LVM.  Personally I prefer filesystem labels as they are easy to remember and very human readable.

I just followed te wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gu … ot_entries
I will try "options root=/dev/mapper/VolumeGroup-Root rw" instead.

ta

#7 2013-11-25 22:58:15

chessboxing

cfr wrote:

Excuse my asking but if the laptop is 2 weeks old and neither 'g' nor 'h' works, shouldn't you return it?

Its an older netbook I use, sinces my new is blank. wiped w!n8. So new one doesn't work yet.

#8 2013-11-25 23:03:05

cfr

chessboxing wrote:
cfr wrote:

Its an older netbook I use, sinces my new is blank. wiped w!n8. So new one doesn't work yet.

Oh, I see. OK. That makes a lot more sense now. It just all seemed rather odd before. If you have an external USB keyboard, you might find that works. (This happened to my ThinkPad - and it started with those keys, too. Eventually nothing worked but USB keyboard worked perfectly. Of course, doesn't help if you don't have one.)

As for following the wiki, that's an example. You are supposed to adapt it for your set up. You need to use the mapped logical volume, as suggested. (Or labels but I've never tried that myself.)

EDIT: That said, the wiki strikes me as extremely misleading. Right after giving the example config file, it says

Please note in the example above that PARTUUID/PARTLABEL identifies a GPT partition, and differs from UUID/LABEL, which identifies a filesystem. Using the PARTUUID/PARTLABEL is advantageous because it is invariant if you reformat the partition with another filesystem. It is also useful if you do not have a filesystem on the partition (or use LUKS, which does not support LABELs).

But that is irrelevant to say the least. If you are using LUKS, passing the PART UUID/LABEL as root will fail utterly so pointing out the putative advantages of identifying the underlying physical partition in this way is just irrelevant. (You could use it to specify the cryptdevice in that case, but not root.)

Last edited by cfr (2013-11-25 23:09:05)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

Board footer