You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-23 14:09:30

JohnSmithLinux

[SOLVED, mostly] Arch on Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch with Retina Display

I've been looking into the Apple MacBook Pro. Of course, I would want to get rid of Mac OS X and load up Arch. Please tell me if the following will work out-of-the-box or have workarounds:

• WiFi

• Ethernet

• Sound

• Touchpad

• Keyboard

• Charging

• Bluetooth

• Graphics Card

• Webcam

• Microphones

• USB 3.0 Ports

• HDMI Port

• SDX Card Reader

I know the high DPI display shouldn't be a problem since GNOME Shell now supports those, but I want to be able to use all of the above things. Also, please let me know if there are any other problems to look out for. Thanks.

Last edited by JohnSmithLinux (2013-12-02 01:50:36)

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | BIOS boot | SysLinux | systemd | EXT4
System76 Bonobo Extreme (bonx7) | Intel® Core™ i7-4900MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3,8 GHz) | 16 GB Dual-Channel SDRAM @ 1600 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD | 750 GB WDC WD7500BPKX-75HPJT0 HDD | NVidia GeForce GTX 765M
XOrg | LightDM | GNOME Desktop

#2 2013-11-23 14:54:40

blackout23

Re: [SOLVED, mostly] Arch on Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch with Retina Display

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MacBookPro11,x

Always search the Wiki first.

Last edited by blackout23 (2013-11-23 15:03:40)

#3 2013-11-23 17:26:17

srs5694
Website

I can't comment on your specific model, but IMHO, getting a Mac (especially a Mac laptop) to run Linux exclusively doesn't make much sense, for the following reasons:

• Apple's EFI implementation is weird, and some features (most notably the ability to upgrade the firmware) can be done only with the help of OS X. As a practical matter, this means that you'll either have to use exotic tools like the Linux version of "bless" or boot the computer in BIOS/CSM/legacy mode -- and even then, upgrading the firmware will be a hassle, should that become necessary. Booting in BIOS/CSM/legacy mode is the easier path, and there's nothing wrong with doing it that way, but as the industry is moving away from BIOS and toward EFI, it means that either you'll be going in the other direction or you'll need to struggle with a Linux-only EFI-mode installation on the Mac.

• Hardware support in Linux for Macs is a bit weird, in part because of the preceding issue (the weird Apple firmware). I realize your question is aimed at uncovering specific answers about this topic, but as a general rule, Apple hardware seems more trouble-prone under Linux than standard PC hardware. Also, note that hardware support can vary depending on the mode you use (BIOS/CSM/legacy vs. EFI). Video hardware can be particularly troublesome on some models, with BIOS/CSM/legacy sometimes working better.

• Mac mice (including laptop trackpads) are 1-button devices, but Linux works best with 3-button mice. A 2-button mouse can do in a pinch. Using a 1-button mouse with X requires applying unusual workarounds involving the use of keyboard keys while clicking the mouse button. Although this can be done, it's an extra hassle, both to set up and to use. On a desktop computer, of course, you can just replace the mouse, but this isn't always practical with a laptop.

• I haven't checked pricing recently, but Apple hardware tends to carry a price premium compared to similar hardware from other manufacturers.

Although most of these issues (with the possible exception of price, if you're on a tight budget) aren't really critical by themselves, they combine to create a rather unpleasant combination, at least when considering a Mac exclusively as a platform for running Linux. If you wanted to dual-boot with OS X, things would be different, of course, but personally, I wouldn't buy a Mac as a Linux-only computer.

If you've got specific reasons for wanting a Mac, perhaps you could post them here. Although I personally haven't shopped for a laptop for a while and so can't offer specific suggestions, somebody else might be able to suggest alternatives that would do what you want.

#4 2013-11-23 22:53:03

JohnSmithLinux

Hmmm...

blackout23: Thanks for that. It is kind of discouraging.

srs5694: I am looking into the MacBook Pro only because of the Retina display and the great design. I love Apple hardware (despite the competition, I think it clearly stands out as the best), but I absolutely loathe Mac OS X.  I do like the desktop environment of OS X and some of its apps, but the proprietary nature of the system (NSA spying, etc.) goes against my values. In a perfect world, I would run the Mac desktop on an Arch base on a MacBook Pro. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like that will happen... sad

EDIT: I thought about what you said, srs5694. I think I just found the laptop of my dreams: the System76 Bonobo Extreme (it comes with Ubuntu, but since it's System76, I know Arch will work just fine as well). Sure it deson't have a Retina display and a super-sleek design, but it works with Linux and has better performance, which is what matters to me overall... Thanks for that food for thought. smile

Last edited by JohnSmithLinux (2013-11-23 23:22:43)

System76 Bonobo Extreme (bonx7) | Intel® Core™ i7-4900MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3,8 GHz) | 16 GB Dual-Channel SDRAM @ 1600 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD | 750 GB WDC WD7500BPKX-75HPJT0 HDD | NVidia GeForce GTX 765M

#5 2013-11-25 15:13:29

bunta

Why not do a USB install? It works just as well as on the main HDD!! When a new mac model comes out it is pretty much plug and play with a few little tweaks. I use refit as efi boot manager!

#6 2013-11-25 23:04:39

JohnSmithLinux

Really? See above. I thought the components didn't work properly. Besides, I've kinda settled on this.

#7 2013-11-26 01:18:08

bunta

I have a 17 inch 2010 macbook pro, a 15 inch early 2013 macboook pro, and a 2013 macbook air. They all work with the same usb install with some modification for differing architecture of course.

Board footer