You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-03 16:51:41

robot5x

usb mass storage [FXx]

I know this has been discussed before, but I'm still confused basically with devfs which I find a bit mysterious...
I have a camera and a mp3 player I used to just stick into my slackware box and then mount it on either sda1 or sdb1 - I had the relevant modules loaded already. But I'm finding this difficult with AL...
I recompiled the 2.6.1 kernel with scsi support and usb stuff built as modules. On boot up, I load scsi-mod, sd-mod, usb-storage and usb-uhci from rc.conf. As far as I know, this is all you need to handle mass storage devices.
So, basically I'd really appreciate if someone could provide a real basic guide to where these devices get mounted under AL - I never added anything to fstab before, so I guess I don't need to now...
If I try to mount anything I get the contents of /proc/bus/usb, and the devices file there is not picking up my mass storage devices.
Any help gratefully received.

#2 2004-02-03 18:31:27

dp
Website

Re: usb mass storage [FXx]

i load additionally sr_mod

... using an external hdd working fine

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2004-02-03 19:56:33

robot5x

thanks for your advice - I inserted sr-mod as well but still nothing's happening. WHen I plug the mp3 player in, I get 'disabling IRQ9' in the console...sounds a bit mysterious...
does anyone know what device I should looking to mount - it's not dev/sda1 and there isn't any additional discs listed under /dev when I start hotplug.

#4 2004-02-03 22:26:34

dp
Website

search for

/dev/discs/disc$SOMETHING/part$SOMETHING

in general --- very mysterious the "disabling IRQ9" message

what says dmesg?

#5 2004-02-06 17:29:10

robot5x

thanks for your input dp...sorry I didn't reply sooner.
This is the current situation - I now have loaded the usb modules and the scsi modules you recommended - (sg, sd-mod, sr-mod, scsi-mod). It takes a while but eventually I get some action in /dev.
I now have a /dev/discs/disc1 which I didn't before. This containe disc, generic and part1. I tried to mount part1 with mount -t usbfs but when I checked the mountpoint, it just contained the contents of /proc/bus/usb (a devices file, and 001 & 002).
I also now have a /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0 which contains disc, generic and part1 as well. I get the same results if I try to mount this part1. I never had a problem with usb beofre, so please excuse my ignorance! The documentation at linuxusb.org is not too great (well, for my needs at least).
Dmesg is saying:
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0, type 0
usb-storage: queuecommand called
usb-storage: *** thread awakened.
usb-storage: Bad LUN (0:1)
usb-storage: scsi cmd done, result=0x40000
usb-storage: *** thread sleeping.
usb-storage: queuecommand called
usb-storage: *** thread awakened.
usb-storage: Bad target number (1:0)
usb-storage: scsi cmd done, result=0x40000
usb-storage: *** thread sleeping.
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 5
Well, it's just a sample;)
I'd really appreciate some tips on where to go from here - am I mounting the right thing, doing it the wrong way??
Thanks in advance.

#6 2004-02-07 00:44:18

dp
Website

the fact that you now have a disc1 is really a good thing :-) ... it says you that the modules are right (probably ... not sure, especially for manual config of irq, because of the message you posted here about it)

... mount -t usbfs ...

? why do you use usbfs ?

only that i understand right ... you have a external usb-drive to connect to the computer, right? do you formated it? (or also partitionied?) --- usually you use for external usb-discs vfat (to be compatible with windows)

-> so "mount -t vfat" will do fine

i repartitioned my external drive and use 2 partitions of ext3-fs on it ... but if you use ext3, windows will format it if you press yes after connecting in windows wink

#7 2004-02-07 02:13:57

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

usbfs is a meta filesystem, like procfs, tmpfs, devfs.  It's not for reading files off of devices.  Most likely, like dp said, the filesystem is vfat.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#8 2004-02-07 13:30:40

robot5x

Thanks for the tips - mounting usbfs was obviously not helpful! I'm learning all the time....
I'm actually trying to mount my mp3 player, which is just a generic mass storage device - so I guess it's the same procedure as your usb disk. I've noticed that I only seem to get the /dev/discs/disc1 after loading sr-mod (unless it just takes a long time to register). Anyway, after trying to mount -t vfat /dev/discs/disc1/part1 /mnt/usb, it complains that its not a valid block device. Maybe I need something in fstab?

#9 2004-02-07 15:47:40

robot5x

OK I fixed it!
After rooting around at linuxusb.org, I decided that the best thing was to compile the scsi stuff into the kernel - after modprobing uhci-hcd and usb-storage, my mp3 player registered in /proc/bus/usb/devices, and I could mount /dev/discs/disc1/part1.
Thanks for all your  help dp & xentac.

Board footer